The Promies

Options
forme2310
forme2310 Posts: 157 Member
The Promises

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness. We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace. No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us. We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us. We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.

Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.

reprinted from "Into Action", pages 83 - 84, Alcoholics Anonymous

Replies

• ms1judy1d
    ms1judy1d Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    At our meeting we also include the 10th Step promises:

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone—even food. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in overeating. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and will find that this has happened automatically. We see that our new attitude toward food has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality—safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky, nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

reprinted from "Into Action", page 84, Alcoholics Anonymous
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I found your group and I am interested in reading past posts to inform
    myself a little about how it works.

Wow, I hope these promises will come to me.

I am a long way from them now.

I obsess with food and how much, when etc. constantly.

tell me more about how you work the steps in your way.

I have years of experience with the 12 steps,

but not working them with OE persay.

I am 63 and healthy, very grateful for that.

I doubt that there will be meetings where I live now

maybe your group here will be good until we move and perhaps I will find groups then.
  • wandarb
    wandarb Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon--I hope you are having a good day.

Please check out the Overeaters Anonymous website.

There you will find on-line meetings, podcasts phone meetings etc.

I hope you find this helpful.

Blessing :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Lynn_is_happy
    Lynn_is_happy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have been in the program for a little over a year but lately I have been running my own show and overeating and now I am up 4 pounds from a 41 lbs weight loss. I think I took my will back and wasn't measuring or keeping a structure food plan going and it caught up to me and now I am in the dumps. I have been personally dealing with a trauma situation that had happened to one of my children, it keeps coming up and blocking me from recovery. Someday, I am ok and can accept and pray for that person and other days I am justifiable angry. I am either working a program or I am not. Just needed to share the crap because it eats at me. I just realized that I am overeating and I use to create my food plans first thing in the morning so I knew what to eat and measure and it was with success. I started to go through my steps and stopped at step six. hmmm wonder why. Its just been a struggle and I need people in oa who understand what I am going through. The disease is so cunning, baffling and powerful. I am in touch with my higher power but then run my own show. I commit to creating my food plan before I put a morsel of food in my mouth, I will commit to three abstinent meals that total 1200 calories per a dietician. I always call my sponsor in the morning and read my literature. I am going to do a healthy thing like exercise no matter how small and start over. I feel good about that. I can't, he can so let him and then the promises are revealed. Thanks for letting me share. Nite.
  • traceyandelliemay
    traceyandelliemay Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi. Well these promises i really hope they work for me. My anxiety has gotten terrible lately i quit smoking in November 2013 and overnight gained 10kgs. I was under weight when i quit smoking now I'm in a healthy weight and i am not handling it well i know im not well and im doing the right thing by going to o.a I've just started going back to o.a again. Im in a new town so new o a people as well. Ive been to two face to face meetings this week. Im also working on having 3meals a day breakfast and lunch are bacj on the menu ive always struggled with breakfast but since I've introduced it im fine with it. Im also working on only doing 1hr exercise a day. I can't take laxatives any more cause ive destroyed my digestive system with over use its taken over a year to come as good as it is now. If i fast these days i binge like crazy and it doesn't help. Im also aiming to eat over 1200calories a day. Im obsessed with food protein carbs fibre vitamins. Its insanity and i know this. I just wish i could control it the last meeting i went to has kinda fazed out my obsession with vitamins and nutrients. I am having adequate amounts of these its just the insanity of my disease. Im also moody a lot because im mad at myself for putting 10kgs on even though i am now in a healthy weight i don't like going out in public places because of other people looking at me and judging me. This could be part of my disease too im not to sure? However i hope it is and i heal from it i have a lil girl who is now 4 and i haven't been able to be the mum i would like to be because of my eating behaviours Wether it be eating my allergen foods to the point i get crook in bed for couple of days or abusing laxatives or over exercising or no energy snd light headedness from starving or not being able to sleep at night cause if too hungry then sleeping in during the day. My daughter has been through all of this with me. I also don't like going out ad i mentioned earlier out of fear of people. Then she misses out again. Im grateful I'm not a single mum any more and i have mended things with her dad. I was not coping well raising her on my own. I did my best but the disordered eating would take over. Now i have support her dad and i sm grateful for that and i am back in o a so i hope i can get better and be a good mum. I love my lil girl and her dad abd uts obvious i don't love myself and deep down i don't know why i don't. I'm sorry to ramble on. If you would like to be friends please add me :-)
    P. S this picture is a picture of me a couple of weeks ago when i went out clubbing with some friends i know im not overwight snd im not too thin and this is making it really hard for me too. Sorry Sorry I'm a bit wasted in the picture lol.