Aspiring powerlifter just beginning

Options
kensky
kensky Posts: 472 Member
Hi! I'm Tracey and I just started lifting with goals related to powerlifting. My routine is Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength regimen which consists of two workouts. Day A is Squats, Bench and Deadlift while Day B is Squats, Press and Power Cleans. I am still working on mastering the Power Cleans but everything else is chugging along nicely.

Prior to starting the Rippetoe plan in October, I did a run of New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'd lifted earlier in my gym rat days before a good ten year lapse, but my goals were all more bodybuilder-esque than they are today.

Hello there!

Replies

• carlwhitley
    Options
    Hello!

Squats on both days? Is that common?

Good core lifting workout there though.
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have done starting strength earlier this year as well, Just moved on to Wendler's 5/3/1. DOnt know if I want to compete in Powerlifting yet but The training certainly complements my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu well.
  • kensky
    Options
    The A and B workouts are not on consecutive days. I am on a M/W/F schedule so M would = A, W=B, F=A and then up again with B on Monday.
  • carlwhitley
    Options
    I was going to say that you'd end up with quads the size of tree trunks in no time!

Good core exercises too, recuiting lots of muscle fibres (assuming that you're not compromising form for a couple of extra lbs on the bar).

I've got a broken finger at the minute (a rugby injury) so I'm struggling to do any pulling exercises - I'm looking forward to get back deadlifting as that's a fantastic exercise.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Its great to see people in here! I thought that there were very few serious lifters in MFP when I tried searching for posts in the forums in the past. :D

I don't actually use any particular training plan that is posted online anymore, I train .....

oops! To be continued!
  • kensky
    Options
    bump!

I'd love to know more about your training snookumss!
  • snookumss
    Options
    with varying exercises every week! However, because I just got a free supplement from my boyfriends sponsor, I am to start tracking every detail of everything. I will be putting that all into my blog as it comes :D

Basically a typical week would look something like this.

Day One: Heavy bench day.

Bench Press:

Recently we've been using board training. This is an old video from a while back, training for my world record :D In that video I benched 265lbs off a "four board". This is basically 2x4's glued together in levels.... in this case 4 boards.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Powerliftershawnr#p/c/9655291DDD746F17/32/IeFadfr5IVI

The concept of using boards is to adapt your body to be able to handle much heavier weights! I can hold more weight at the top, if I don't bench it right? Well this helps you to bench in sections. Each week you remove a board and do your max lift until you have no boards! Of course, odds are slim I could go from 265 four boards to 265 zero boards in the same 5 week segment, but training with those heavier weights will make your body be able to handle heavier weights than it did 5 weeks prior during a full lift!

After about 2-3 good warm ups in the bench, we shirt up (most often I wear my gear on heavy days... its how I compete and it helps my raw max increase by using heavier weights, and it also helps protect my body). You start off at about 2/3 your estimated max and go from there!

After you bench press, I make sure to do LOTS OF TRICEPS. You can NEVER do too much tricep work! Your triceps improve your lockout in the bench, if you have weak triceps, you can't move much weight from your chest to the top. When in doubt, do more triceps :D I will do 2-3 various tricep exercises on any given bench day and maybe randomly on the other days :D

Sometimes I will do Dumbbell Fly's, Dumbbell bench presses (sometimes on the floor) and whatever else comes to mind.

I do some front/side dumbbell raises with lighter weights, typically 5-10 pounds. I might try some pullups (can't do a full single yet).

I will do Kroc Rows (bent over rows). Lately with 65lb dumbbells, and probably finish off with some shrugs at 70lbs.

I finish nearly every gym session in the hot tub :D

Sometimes bench we will use chains and/or bands for added variety,
  • snookumss
    Options
    I forgot to mention that EVERY single time we do any lift other than the Main Initial Lift (bench, squat, deadlift) we do either 8-10 reps. Very rarely do we do 12. All of the initial lifts are either 1-3-5. Because we train those to the max most days, you can't really do more.

Day Two; Leg Day!

I dislike leg day very much. Leg day means Squats... lots o' squats. I SUCK at Squats. Recently I just started using a squat suit because the bottom of my squat is horrible. I have very long upper legs, and ALWAYS ALWAYS train deep. The line from your Knee and the Hip Joint should always be parallel to the floor for a proper squat. My upper legs mean I have to go super low, and thats where my squat is horrible. I started not being able to do 65lb squats. Now, I can do like 135lbs squats but not much more. With a squat suit I've had a 275lb max.

After squat is always leg press (probably because its right next to the squat rack). I've reached 4 wheels on each side, its a challenge to complete 10 for me!

Next, leg curls, leg extensions and hack squats are typical.

Sometimes we use chains on the squat, do box squats (which I am amazing at :D), hook up bands to the squat bar for added resistance to either the top or bottom of the squat or simply have burnout days. :/
  • snookumss
    Options
    Day Three: Light Bench OR Back Day

During light bench days, I am always raw benching. This typically involves bands, or simply higher reps of smaller numbers while FOCUSING on explosiveness. The bar must be controlled as it descends, rest at the bottom and explode to the top as quick as possible. Now if you ever try to bench as fast as possible this way, you will learn its quickly tiring! It helps adapt your muscle fibers to move faster.

During Back day we always DEADLIFT.

Deadlift max (of course) which I also suck horribly at.... this may involve chains or bands (as every main lift may).

Then we do Seated or bent-over rows.

Shoulders can be focused upon today as well. Shoulder Press is the most commonly used, Kroc Rows and whatever else comes to mind. We also do these....

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://themusclecouple.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/lower-back-exercises-hyperextensions-back-extensions1.gif?w=320&h=240&imgrefurl=http://themusclecouple.wordpress.com/page/2/&h=240&w=320&sz=110&tbnid=GtURusaZlSFZ1M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=120&prev=/search?q=lower+back+exercises&tbm=isch&tbo=u&zoom=1&q=lower+back+exercises&docid=l6d8TNSDyHH2GM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3iTOTtWPKcTWiAL5-728Cw&sqi=2&ved=0CEgQ9QEwBA&dur=2627
    Full range, also you can add weights or bands, but be careful to only do a few light sets. You may not think you are pushing yourself, but you are!!!

Our training varies. This helps try to prevent strength plateau's and ensure you are training everything :D

Back day is more common than light bench but only because I have a three day schedule and not four day. Tuesdays are ALWAYS heavy bench, while the rest switches around... rotates I suppose. :D
  • kensky
    Options
    I am so incredibly impressed that you rock at the BENCH. I can see maybe one day not embarrassing myself at the bench press but can not--at this point--really picture me excelling at it. I am managing to get 5 sets of 5 rep 50 lb-ers up and down these days. Thank you for detailing your routine! (I'm off to google board training!)
  • snookumss
    Options
    The key is focusing on sections of your bench. Don't just do bench press to increase your bench. You have to do every other muscle in many exercises so they will increase your bench :) Think about the bench press in sections, which section is the hardest? Is it the bottom of your bench? Work on those chest muscles, is it the top of your bench? Work on your triceps, biceps and make sure you have sturdy forearms.

Seriously we have a rack lock out bench exercise where we place a bench into the squat rack, place the two railings above us about 3-4 inches before our very top of the bench and press it up from the railings for a set of 10. This also helps your lockout, if its the hardest squeezing out those last couple inches, maybe this might help.

Also, realize that your back and legs should be engaged for a bench too. Try not to limit your press/power to your chest/arms... try to imagine those legs driving power through your core and into that bench... Also, imagine that when you are pressing, you are pulling that bar apart as well (imagine something pulling your wrists towards each other, and you have to make sure they stay apart. We actually wrap our wrists in bands so the band pulls our hands in, so we are forced to make sure we utilize the muscles for it (that actually makes the lift easier for me).

These are things many people might not realize are factors/methods of training. :) Hope one of them helps Hon!
  • kensky
    Options
    I'm sick so I'm having my second rest day in a row *twitch* but I do have time to check in here and report some good lifting news. I bumped up my squat to 100 lbs. I am also at 65 lbs. for my bench which I thought would never happen a few weeks ago. I also had a PR for my deadlift at 135.

I am hoping that a five or six day break (I am traveling to my brother's house tomorrow) will do nothng but good things for my progress. It's hard to break out of a mindset that every day (even every other day) is required for continued growth.
  • rabetts
    rabetts Posts: 31
    Options
    Deadlift day today. How many sets/reps should I be doing? I did 10 sets of 5 at 115lb. Too much?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    with varying exercises every week! However, because I just got a free supplement from my boyfriends sponsor, I am to start tracking every detail of everything. I will be putting that all into my blog as it comes :D

Basically a typical week would look something like this.

Day One: Heavy bench day.

Bench Press:

Recently we've been using board training. This is an old video from a while back, training for my world record :D In that video I benched 265lbs off a "four board". This is basically 2x4's glued together in levels.... in this case 4 boards.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Powerliftershawnr#p/c/9655291DDD746F17/32/IeFadfr5IVI

The concept of using boards is to adapt your body to be able to handle much heavier weights! I can hold more weight at the top, if I don't bench it right? Well this helps you to bench in sections. Each week you remove a board and do your max lift until you have no boards! Of course, odds are slim I could go from 265 four boards to 265 zero boards in the same 5 week segment, but training with those heavier weights will make your body be able to handle heavier weights than it did 5 weeks prior during a full lift!

After about 2-3 good warm ups in the bench, we shirt up (most often I wear my gear on heavy days... its how I compete and it helps my raw max increase by using heavier weights, and it also helps protect my body). You start off at about 2/3 your estimated max and go from there!

After you bench press, I make sure to do LOTS OF TRICEPS. You can NEVER do too much tricep work! Your triceps improve your lockout in the bench, if you have weak triceps, you can't move much weight from your chest to the top. When in doubt, do more triceps :D I will do 2-3 various tricep exercises on any given bench day and maybe randomly on the other days :D

Sometimes I will do Dumbbell Fly's, Dumbbell bench presses (sometimes on the floor) and whatever else comes to mind.

I do some front/side dumbbell raises with lighter weights, typically 5-10 pounds. I might try some pullups (can't do a full single yet).

I will do Kroc Rows (bent over rows). Lately with 65lb dumbbells, and probably finish off with some shrugs at 70lbs.

I finish nearly every gym session in the hot tub :D

Sometimes bench we will use chains and/or bands for added variety,

I checked out using the boards and it seems similar to power rack lockouts. I finished with my lockouts about a month ago and am still gaining strength. So far I gained 40 lbs. and usually I get maybe 25 to 50 lbs. out of it over a 4 month start to finish. I may do boards in the second half of the year but was hoping to compete late fall. I don't know if I'll be ready for a full meet by then but I'm trying.
  • kensky
    Options
    Hey! I'm signing up for my first competition in July! I'm psyched!
  • rabetts
    rabetts Posts: 31
    Options
    Hey! I'm signing up for my first competition in July! I'm psyched!
    Good luck! Hope it's great!