nights off

Options
erin2081
erin2081 Posts: 368 Member
so, do you guys stay up all night on your nights off, or switch your schedule back to sunlight hours?

I try and sleep for only 4 hours on the morning of my first night off, then go to bed around midnight. Only problem is, sleeping the night before my next shift, leaving me up all day and all night on my first night back.

I always want to take naps during the days too...like, my brain is going, "this is sleeping time!"

Anyone else's body clocks all screwy?

Replies

• alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    doesnt matter what time or if i'm off i will sleep no matter what and still feel tired. i still sleep 5 hours after i get off that morning then go to bed that night and sleep well. but its choppy because i get up with my baby throughout the nights too when i am off
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    my weekend off work is Monday/Tuesday. I usually just switch to days. I stay up Monday as late as I can usually crash out by 8-9pm. I have tried the broken up sleep, 2-4 hrs then wake up for a while then another 2-4 hrs. I just can't function. I prefer solid 5-8 hrs. sleep.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I always stay up as late as I can on my first day off to rearrange my schedule.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Depends... for the most part I try to go to bed around 3-4am and get up around 12pm.

But like today... I didn't get up until after 3pm. Ahhh!
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    I am off tonight. I only got maybe 3 hours of sleep today due to my fur boys wanting me to wake up. Lots of times I will get 5-6 hours of sleep. My first day off I am very tired, I try to get to bed by 11pm or 12midnight and I will sleep till maybe 6am.. So....I do go back to my normal schedule.

If I am overly tired during the morning, I will go back to bed and sleep. I don't get enough sleep and rest as it is.....so, if I am tired, I am going to bed.
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    I am awake again, it is 1pm, just took the fur boys outside. I am hoping I get tired again.
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    so, do you guys stay up all night on your nights off, or switch your schedule back to sunlight hours?

I try and sleep for only 4 hours on the morning of my first night off, then go to bed around midnight. Only problem is, sleeping the night before my next shift, leaving me up all day and all night on my first night back.

I always want to take naps during the days too...like, my brain is going, "this is sleeping time!"

Anyone else's body clocks all screwy?

This describes me down to a T! I feel sorry for you. I completely understand:flowerforyou:
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    This is an unusual night for me I am awake again, what a messed up sleep schedule! Most likely I will be going to be again.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I try to maintian schedule. It's just too hard on my system to switch back to nights if I switch to normal sleep times. If I do sleep saturday night to sunday, I can't get enough sleep during the day and have to fight to stay awake at work.
  • kmill81385
    Options
    I sleep for roughly three to four hours that day when I get home (around 6:30) and then I try to go to bed that night around my "normal" time (10ish). If I only have one night off in between shifts, then I either try to sleep really late in the morning(11-12) or catch a two hour nap.

***Room darkening curtains ROCK my sleeping world!!!! You can get them pretty cheap at Wal-Mart. I like the Eclipse brand.***
  • dreamshadows
    Options
    ***Room darkening curtains ROCK my sleeping world!!!! You can get them pretty cheap at Wal-Mart. I like the Eclipse brand.***

I bough a set at Zellers Home Sense Brand. Lets in more light than the blind my cat destroyed. :laugh:
  • dreamshadows
    Options
    Thought I'd try to post the picture
    6356888237_a202c01e92_m.jpg

Edited to fix link.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I normally stay awake all day during my first day off to get back into a normal routine and then stay awake late at night on the last day to get back into night mode.
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    I have tried staying awake during my day off and that would equal usually 46 hours without sleep from a 2-3 nights of working. I feel like C$*P the entire day....no energy, my head feeling like a sleep hangover. I am tired and my temper can be short....nothing gets done around here on those days.

Sometimes, you just have to do what is going to work for you.
  • kmill81385
    Options
    I bough a set at Zellers Home Sense Brand. Lets in more light than the blind my cat destroyed. :laugh:
    [/quote]

EESH! That stinks! Seriously, though. Try Eclipse! They work amazing! I'll post a picture of how mine affect my room tomorrow.
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    I am awake, so posting. This the the 3rd time awake tonight. My first real day off. It is sucking already.

As for the room darkening ... this is what I have done. My room is on the West side of the house and also backed with the woods, so I do not have extreme sun in my windows in the afternoon.

I applied a tint on the window to darken it. I also use long dark curtains (one) window and make sure the top of the rod extends past the window ( I do not want light seeking in from the sides).

Then......this is probably overkill, but I had to do it because I could hear the door opening and light coming in from the sides of the door and my door has to stay open....so, I put a room curtain at the door and made sure the rod extended by the door to hang the curtain.. I also have two fur babies that like to go in and out of the room...so they would tend to push the door open too much. So, the curtains work great. Before all this...the light would wake me up from the bright light from the door..

When I go into the room now, you can't see what is in front of you. It is dark!
  • laughingwasabi
    Options
    I wish I didn't have to readjust to a normal "daytime" schedule. Unfortunately, I work weekend nights (7p-9a) but still have to go to school Monday (10:00a-12:00p) Tuesday/Wednesday (10:00a-2:00p) and Thursday/Friday (5:30a-2:00p) ; so I'm constantly tired.
    If you don't toss and turn much, I suggest getting an eye mask of sorts, though. I have a little kitten who loves to play with my blackout curtains (she thinks its entertaining to let the light in/out)...works wonder!
    I also take a melatonin supplement the very first night back in the "daytime" routine, which does wonders to getting me back on schedule quickly
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have 2 kids that only go to daycare on the days I have to sleep. I only sleep 5 days a week on my night shift schedule. So when I get off of work, I will be awake all day and sleep that night. And the night before I go back to work I stay awake all night having been awake all day. I'm tired a lot!
  • kphillips83
    kphillips83 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm just tired on my days off.. I take a couple 3 hr naps in the day and I stay awake until about 2 a.m. then go to sleep until 7 ish on Friday and later if possible on Saturdays. Turning into a nocturnal creature...
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I work every weekend 7p-7a. I usually come home Monday morning and sleep about 3-4 hours and then get up and stay up the rest of the day and go to bed early, around 9-10pm. That way I sleep all night and wake up Tuesday around 8. That helps me adjust my schedule for the rest of the week. During the week, I stay up until about 11 or 12 and get up around 9a. Then on Friday I stay up until about 3a or 4a and then sleep most of the day Saturday until about 5p and get up and get ready for work.