Game of the 90s!

Options
HMonsterX
HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
C'mon all you old peeps! Let's get nostalgic!

What were your favourite games of the 90s? Games that really show the modern boomfests of today a thing or two about gameplay and actual fun!

Speedball II
Nuclear Strike
SWOS
Populous II
Monkey Island II

And having played and finished all of these recently via emulators, i can safely say it's not a case of rose-tinted specs!

What are yours?

Replies

• _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Hands down, goldeneye
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Kings Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow, I remember we got it when I was in 5th grade and I couldn't get past a certain part so I called some nerdy guy in my class and he helped me get past it. Also my favorite gameboy game of all time is Legends of Zelda: Links Awakening...I've had it since 1993 when I got my very first (and only) gameboy, that I still own! I still play both of these games.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Oh man, the 90's were a great decade. I'll list a few that have got to be up there:

Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy IX
    Secret of Monkey Island
    Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
    Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
    Pokemon Red/Blue.
    SimCity 2000
    Metal Gear Solid
    Super Mario 64
    Zelda Ocarina of Time.
    Broken Sword.
    Transport Tycoon

OK, I'm going to stop now. I could go on. I was originally going to list 4 or 5, but then I kept thinking about it more and more and listed far too many. I'm too indecisive when it comes to picking best games, I end up listing a million of them and am never able to narrow it down.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Late 90s i was the Editor of a PlayStation magazine, PlayStation Solutions, as well as a contributor to Total 64. Those were the days! Actually looking forward to going to work on a Monday morning! :D
  • Matttdvg
    Options
    Late 90s i was the Editor of a PlayStation magazine, PlayStation Solutions, as well as a contributor to Total 64. Those were the days! Actually looking forward to going to work on a Monday morning! :D

Wow, I used to read PlayStation Solutions religiously. It was weird, I was a kid with no money and I rarely had the games they did guides and tips for, but I really enjoyed reading the guides and things anyway. I'm pretty sure I still have a huge stack of the magazines stored somewhere. What a weird coincidence.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Hands down, goldeneye

Agree...........hours of playing splitscreen with my brothers on a 13 inch tv..........just rebought it for wii, and probably will for ps3 for nastagia purposes...............
  • HMonsterX
    Options

Wow, I used to read PlayStation Solutions religiously. It was weird, I was a kid with no money and I rarely had the games they did guides and tips for, but I really enjoyed reading the guides and things anyway. I'm pretty sure I still have a huge stack of the magazines stored somewhere. What a weird coincidence.

Any ones that stick in your mind? I'll tell you if i wrote that guide or not! :D
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    oh many amazing games. . .
    crash
    frogger lol
    sonic and knuckles
    legend of zelda
    mortal combat
    street fighter
    pokemon
    altered beast
    i cant list all my favs tooo many
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Ah, Monkey Island! I loved those games!

Myst, on the other hand, not so much.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Hmm.....I'm going to have to say Baldurs Gate...the first one...was a groundbreaking RPG.

Then I'm going to have to say the Final Fantasy games that came out in the 90's. I agree with GoldenEye, that was fantastic. Chrono Trigger was also on my top list.

I don't think Tecmo Bowl came out in the 90's so I'll not say that LOL
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I dont care what anyone says, golden eye made screen cheating.

Also I feel ashamed for not mentioning pokemon. Best portable console game ever. Why they never took the exact gameboy game, and just made it so the battles were all in 3d on the wii, ill never know
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I want to say Mario Kart for the Nintendo 64.. Golden Eye was good for console.. But Quake was my FPS of choice..
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Goldeneye was probably the only fps multiplayer I've really liked!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Medievil! I loved this games!
  • Matttdvg
    Options

Any ones that stick in your mind? I'll tell you if i wrote that guide or not! :D

I'm not sure. I was only like 8 or 9 years old at the time. I seem to remember there being a guide for Sentient (a weird first person adventure game set on a space station) that I enjoyed reading, I had played the demo of the game and really wanted to get the full game, but never did. I also think I liked a guide for Little Big Adventure (another game I wanted but never got). And I'm sure I used the guides to the Oddworld games, since I actually owned those games.
  • nekoemi
    nekoemi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Final Fantasy Tactics and Starcraft (still my favorite two games)

Others include:

Chrono Trigger
    Pokemon Blue
    Sonic 2
    C&C Red Alert
    Zelda: OoT
    Diablo
    Half-Life
    SimCity 2000
    SimCity 3000
    GoldenEye
    Super Smash Bros
    Super Mario 64
    Mario Kart 64

and probably lots of other nes / genesis / n64 / pc games from the 90s... I was easy to please as a kid!
  • Jovialation
    Jovialation Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    THIS ISNT FAIR IM 23!!

Games of the 90s were pretty much my life. I ...I cant name favorites. I can try?

Sonic & Knuckles
    Toejam and Earl
    Comix Zone
    Sonic
    Dr Mario
    Mortal Kombat
    Columns
    Goldeneye
    Tekken
    SoulBlade
    Spyro
    Crash Bandicoot
    Mario Kart
    Animal Crossing
    Street Fighter
    Super Monkey Ball
    Streets of Rage
    Goldeneye
    Super Mario 64
    Altered Beast
    Pokemon Stadium
    Mario Party
    Sonic Spinball
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater
    Street Skater
    Cool Boarders
    Apocalypse (Starring Bruce Willis)
    Hercules
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Anyone remember the old Tex Murphy games or Gabriel Knight games? Awesome stuff....the first Gabriel Knight featured the voice of Tim Curry.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hands down, goldeneye

yup. I don't know how I was able to finish college with the amount of time I played MP.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    LoZ: Ocarina of Time
    Goldeneye
    Mortal Kombat 2