Starting Stage 1 - 12/1/11

Options
_Sally_
_Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
Anyone else getting ready to start in December?

I just got the book this week. I will read the book, set up my logs, write out my goals, do some meal planning, etc. between now and Dec 1.

I also will review the Phase 1 workouts and determine if I need to make any modifications due to some past injuries I've had and some current neck issues I'm seeing a chiropractor for. I work out twice a week with a trainer now and I'm pretty good with most exercises, but the barbell squat may be an issue for my neck right now, so I may look into an alternative.

Let me know if you are just starting out, too!

Replies

• shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hi Sally -- I am going to start as well Dec 1st. I still need to order the book so I will do that this week. I am excited to start. I currently do a lot of cardio but really need the strength training! I will let you know when the book comes.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    The barbell squat does not engage the neck at all so you should be fine.
  • _Sally_
    Options
    The barbell squat does not engage the neck at all so you should be fine.

Thanks - this is encouraging, because it really is a great workout.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong then? It was definitely a contributing factor to what aggravated the pain in the base of my neck (too much time on computer and too much travel and lugging luggage, etc. also contributed).

Although the barbell is not on your neck, per se, it feels like my neck is still jutting forward, which is uncomfortable for me. I haven't tried it in a couple of months, so maybe I'll have my trainer look at my form with just the barbell and no extra weight.
  • _Sally_
    Options
    Hi Sally -- I am going to start as well Dec 1st. I still need to order the book so I will do that this week. I am excited to start. I currently do a lot of cardio but really need the strength training! I will let you know when the book comes.

Awesome!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about starting. How's that for commitment?

I don't have the book yet, so I'm going to be slow about asking potentially dumb questions. I just wonder 1) can I do it without a barbell (I really prefer dumbbells anyway, and space is an issue) and 2) do I own enough weight? Maybe not. I've been doing Fit for Life, so I'm not afraid of muscles or weights. I also want to still run. We'll see.

However, several people I very much respect are in this group or talk about this program, so I think I'll give it a go.
  • oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just started...so I will be working right along with you all!!!! And looking up to the ones who know the program in and out for inspiration, advice and support!!!!

:happy:
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I will be starting then... Ordered the book on Friday and hoping to get it soon.

Ladies what kind of equipment am i going to need? I have deadweights, bars and dumbells.--???
  • shapestocome
    shapestocome Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am wondering too -- I don't belong to a gym - will I be able to do the program at home and what will I need?

Dorie
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just finished the book and I'll start with you!
  • _Sally_
    Options
    I just finished the book and I'll start with you!

Great!!
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Raina, and I plan on starting December 1st as well. I am going to do the diet and workouts, and plan on staying on the plan, lol.
  • oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is directly C&P from one of their earlier discussions with the book....

For those hoping to do this routine at home, here's a list:
    * Olympic barbell: 7ft. long bar weighing 45lbs. That's a quote from the book.
    * Set of barbell plates, including 2.5lb. plates
    * Set of dumbbells, ideally in 2-3 lb. increments
    * Squat Rack (I'm not kidding)
    * Incline/Decline Bench
    * Step Platform
    * Swiss Ball, also know as a stability ball or exercise ball
    * Chin-up/Pull-up bar
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide alternatives (using a barbell) if you don't have
    access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed.

I think that I have everything I needed for the initial levels set up, other than the fact that I need an Olympic bar rather than the one my kit came with. Well, that and a squat rack....still figuring this one out!!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I am starting in December. I have to be out of town from Dec 4th-7th, and I don't have high expectations for the hotel gym, but I am really excited.

I'm a bit concerned about having correct form, so I will be starting light until I get that down. That will be my preparation phase. :)
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I ordered the book last week and am hoping it comes today! I used to lift really heavy with my trainer at the gym - and he actually convinced me (when I was setting up my home gym) to get a squat rack and olympic barbell. I'm pretty excited. I plan on starting Dec. 1st - so I'm with you!! I have been doing Jillian Michaels videos, lots of light weight compound moves incorporated with cardio - and I also run every other day or so.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I just started reading the book yesterday.
    I'll be joining a large gym today, thank you Costco for a very reasonably priced gym membership....$13.33 /mo!
  • tamiwinters1
    Options
    Anyone else getting ready to start in December?

I just got the book this week. I will read the book, set up my logs, write out my goals, do some meal planning, etc. between now and Dec 1.

I also will review the Phase 1 workouts and determine if I need to make any modifications due to some past injuries I've had and some current neck issues I'm seeing a chiropractor for. I work out twice a week with a trainer now and I'm pretty good with most exercises, but the barbell squat may be an issue for my neck right now, so I may look into an alternative.

Let me know if you are just starting out, too!

I am reading this now and would love to start in December. I am doing my own eating plan, but am going to start the training 12-1-11, is that ok? :)
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I have the book and have started reading it. I've also gotten in touch with a personal trainer to get me off to a good start as to form. I was hoping to start this week, but it might have to wait until I get that appointment nailed down. I'm a little intimidated by the weight room, but not enough to chicken out! :laugh:
  • karensfit4life
    karensfit4life Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just ordered the book earlier today, LOL. Not sure if I will be ready to commit December 1st or if January 1st is more realistic..... I will definitely be watching the progress of this group starting up.

Good luck ladies!!!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    This is directly C&P from one of their earlier discussions with the book....

For those hoping to do this routine at home, here's a list:
    * Olympic barbell: 7ft. long bar weighing 45lbs. That's a quote from the book.
    * Set of barbell plates, including 2.5lb. plates
    * Set of dumbbells, ideally in 2-3 lb. increments
    * Squat Rack (I'm not kidding)
    * Incline/Decline Bench
    * Step Platform
    * Swiss Ball, also know as a stability ball or exercise ball
    * Chin-up/Pull-up bar
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide alternatives (using a barbell) if you don't have
    access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed.

I think that I have everything I needed for the initial levels set up, other than the fact that I need an Olympic bar rather than the one my kit came with. Well, that and a squat rack....still figuring this one out!!!

I am hoping to start in December.

What kit did you get? I would like to do it at home as well. I almost everything :grumble: I need a bench, squat rack and olympic bar (with plates).

What is recommended for an olympic bar?

I am thinking about getting a universal gym, my DH and I have talked about that for years! Any recommendations? That should cover, bench & pulley station, right? Or is it to extravagant to get a universal gym?
  • _Sally_
    Options
    I have the book and have started reading it. I've also gotten in touch with a personal trainer to get me off to a good start as to form. I was hoping to start this week, but it might have to wait until I get that appointment nailed down. I'm a little intimidated by the weight room, but not enough to chicken out! :laugh:

I think that is an excellent idea to work with a trainer on learning proper form. Let them know that is your focus. Feel free to interview the trainer before you have any sessions with them in terms of your goals and concerns and get a sense of their experience and education/certifications. A good trainer will not mind answering all of your questions up front.

That is what I did and I'm very happy with my trainer. In the past when I just signed up with whatever trainer assigned to me, I've been very unhappy with the results. I've used my trainer for appropirate workouts for injury recovery and addressing strength imbalances, so form was extremely important to me.