Vegetarian Sources of Protein

Options
_Sally_
_Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
I prefer a primarily vegetarian whole foods diet (but not exclusively), so the protein requirements for muscle building for me will require some extra focus.

Tofu, beans and nuts definitely have protein, but you also have to watch the calorie counts for these items. I do also eat egg whites, but don't really want to do that every day.

Some surprising vegetarian sources of protein I have found lately, with relatively low calories:

Nutritinoal Yeast (Red Star brand) - has 8 grams of protein for 1.5 TB serving (70 calories) - gives a bit of a cheesy taste to your food.

3 cups of broccoli - 18 grams of protein (150 calories). I just had this for breakfast with my eggs today and I was shocked by the protein amount. I really hope it wasn't a misprint on the bag (Woodstock Farms Organic Broccoli Florets)

What are some of your favorite vegetarian sources of protein? If anyone has a high protein, primarily vegetarian diet, would love to add you to my MFP pals and share diaries!

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    You'll get more responses if you post in the public Food/Nutrition section.
  • _Sally_
    Options
    You'll get more responses if you post in the public Food/Nutrition section.

Good point... Right or wrong, I just assume that most vegetarians are not eating a high protein diet, so I thought there might be some vegetarian weight training folks on here with some tricks up there sleeves to get in the recommended protein levels for muscle building :-)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    my nutribiotic rice protein powder is vegan.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I actually quite like the Trader Joe's soy protein powder.

I eat a fair amount of teriyaki baked tofu (I'm not otherwise a big tofu fan). If you like "fake meats", Tofurky Italian Sausages can't be beat. They are really high in protein and sodium - but I was told by my doctor to increase my sodium because my blood pressure is obscenely low. Trader Joe's Chikenless and Beefless strips are also really good and great sources of protein.

I adore lentils and beans and quinoa as well, but they also have a fair amount of carbs so they require I be more thoughtful in my meal planning.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I recently discovered the amazing world of GELATIN! I realize it's not vegetarian, but depending on how strict your vegetarianism is, or how desperate you are for protein, you might want to look into it. Apparently 1 Tablespoon of gelatin (think unflavored gelatin powder) is about 25 calories, 7 grams of protein, and little else. No carbs, no fat, no sugar, no nothin'. I don't even think there are trace minerals or anything... just protein.

You can get it in capsule or powder form as a dietary supplement... I'm going to start stirring a tablespoon into my post-workout smoothies or adding it to yogurt, etc. Can't beat it.

*edit* there are also huge benefits to adding gelatin to your diet, hair/skin/nails all benefit and ligaments too. Because our diets are largely boneless/skinless meats, we aren't getting the nutrients from the bones that our ancestors used to. Here's a link to a cool article I just read:
    http://wellnessmama.com/3380/why-ive-been-drinking-green-jello-well-almost/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=why-ive-been-drinking-green-jello-well-almost
  • _Sally_
    Options
    Great ideas. Thanks!

Gelatin protein level is a big surprise. I had never heard this before.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    my Chiropractor recommends Pea Protein powder. It is really tasty too

I also have a friend who uses Hemp protein powder. And yes the Rice protein powder is good too
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    In case this is still useful to you, I learned a lot from this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/430415-the-ultimate-vegan-protein-thread

Also, www.trueprotein.com lets you custom blend vegan protein powder mixes.

If any vegetarian, protein-obsessed, weight-lifters would like to friend me, I'd love the opportunity to look at your food diaries!
  • bluesunshine999
    Options
    Thanks for that link! It is great!
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I use hemp protein powder for shakes, but struggle with the taste so add a bit of chocolate powder and sometimes coffee. And if you are vegetarian not vegan, Greek yoghurt is a must!
  • joemomma3d
    Options
    Hemp Hearts are a great source of protein :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    We use Quorn products, they are meat substitutes. They aren't vegan because will find eggs in them, but the have JUST AS MUCH protein as meat based products; in addition to your powders and bars. We also do tofu at least 1-2 times a week and I'm integrating more beans and nuts. And don't forget the Greek yogurt. We LOVE Greek yogurt. As much protein as some bars and shakes and totally natural ( depending on the brand)
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, avoid at all costs Proventative brand veggie protein powder in the berry flavor. I've developed a sensitivity to whey protein isolate and have started exploring alternate source protein powders. I'm currently choking this one down, and it is truly awful.