Right foods for carb loading help please??

Options
Hi all

I am running my second half-marathon the weekend after next and since I have done all my training right this time I would also like to get the food side right in the week running up to my race.

I am not the best cook in the world & I dont eat meat (except fish). I am still running on a calorie deficit of 500 a day as I still have a stone in weight to lose. Next week I am only going to workout 2 or 3 times instead of most days, just to give myself a rest & will also increase my fluid intake.

I dont just want to stuff myself full of pasta all week if that isnt the right thing to do & wondered if anyone has any advice from their own experiences. Am assuming pasta, rice & potatoes are ok so should I be increasing the amount of days I eat these? Should I mix them with protein? Also I read that you should cut down on fibre before a race so should I opt for white versions (I normally eat wholewheat or brown), though I dont tend to eat a lot of bread?

Obviously I would like to maximise my energy stores as much as possible so any advise you can give regarding the best foods for all this would be much apprieciated.

Cheers
DF :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Pasta, Rice, Potatoes... Plus your usual mix of protein (chicken + fish for preference) and veggies

And I personally stay clear of onions the day before a race (because they make me gassy and that cant be fun for the person running behind me ;)
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My best Half so far is/was when I went out for Pasta the night before. I had scoffed at this, being some form of myth with no credence. I was please to know the next day that I ran my fastest ever... I ate a lot too -- good old spaghetti and meatballs.

Great call on the losing the onions, too. I have stopped eating onions and all other things like them - peppers, etc.

Also, Pop, is another thing I would completely eliminate from your diet. Replace it with water. I also train with Accelerade... 120 Cals a run isn't hard to burn up on a 4-6 mile run. I used to get bizarre chest pains while running and couldn't figure out why. Particulary since I have low cholesterol, excellent blood pressure, etc. I tried ditching the pop for a while and it went away almost instantly. 5 years later, no pop (still), and no more chest pains.... Coffee doesn't do anything to me...
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did the last half marathon with me and we always went out fully loaded with Gels, plus she would take a bottle of lukazade sport light and I would take water...

Now - I can see why people would drink water, and I can see why people would drink lukazade light for shorter distances or when 'casual training' - but WHY would anyone take a light drink out with them on a half marathon? Quite aside from the fact that neither of us were trying to loose weight, you need the extra energy, you're gonna burn +1400 Calories doing a half marathon, Gels are 80 cals each and most folks take 2 or 3.

Sorry, its been bugging me. Rant over.
  • jenkinsjerry
    jenkinsjerry Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    MikeyRP -- I'm trusting that your last post isn't/wasn't a slam on my suggestion to drink Accelerade while running/training. I do it everytime I run, candidly and it works quite well for me. I do this upon the advice of a US Olympic Marathoner who's run far more races (Marathons) than probably any of us. Proper hydration is critical and if you can accomplish this with a fuel belt that enables efficient and consistent hydration while running, I feel and know it's a good thing. If you happen to differ on this opinion, that's fine. Not sure I understand why this would invite such an emotional response however. Perhaps I've misread you, but if not, let's keep our responses to a respectful tone.
    Thanks
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanx there is some good advice here & have taken it on board. As I am only a week away now think will stick to my brown rice, vegetables, quorn & gluten free pasta I am used to. If I eat some form of carbs everyday & increase the amount I have normally hopefully it will top up my glycogen levels enough!! Perhaps may be worth cutting down on fibre couple days before though!! :wink: am also upping my water intake over the course of the week.

On the subject of sports drinks I find the sugar free powerade good for me. Have not heard of accelerade. I tried the normal powerade which I found way too sweet & gave me too much of a sugar hit (resulting in shakes, clammy hands, hunger, & hot flushes)!! The reduced calorie version does the job hydration wise & like the fact it includes electrolytes. I do use caffiene free gels & jelly babies for energy boosts (though I am not overly convinced by them & will trial more products for my next race). I know the calorific burn in that distance is huge but I have to be careful to not overdo the sugar & avoid caffeine since I appear to react to them both in a slightly negative way!!
    I will stick to my porridge & banana on race day for brekkie & then Chocolate milk & protein bar afterwards.

Thanx again all :flowerforyou:
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Any carbs that are not high in fat are good. According to a recent article in runners world you should start carbo loading 3-4 days before the race. Good luck.