from a coach's pov

Options
hi fellow coaches and hello to the athletes of one of the most fun "sports" a lady can get into. (I'm gonna focus on ladies in this thread).

I've coached, choreographed, trained, prepped, primmed, and created some amazing fitness athletes and it's been super fun. There's lots to the reason why many ladies get into fitness - a friend got them into it, they wanted to get on stage to show off their great success at training, they think it's a way to have fun... - but I would like to share why I got into the sport and became a trainer.

I have two decades worth of Sports and Fitness experience from the top IOC sports federation in the world, USAGymnastics! I learned allot as an athlete from the best, and also learned the ins and outs of fitness, health and nutrition from being a coach and all the research on wellness that this federation shares with the professionals in the organization. Couple those decades with a degree in dance and psychology, having the pleasure of learning about fitness competitions from Lenda Murray, classes in cytotechnology and physiology, and kinesiology, training women of all walks of life in fitness competitions.... you get me. :smile:

At the lower levels of fitness competitions, it's fun and with a team or a gym supporting their athlete, it can be a fun and confidence boosting experience for that athlete, however, at the top competitions the pressure to be perfect can destroy the ego of someone who is too new and uneducated about what the expectations are.

Becoming a fitness competitior that can get past the local level takes a good trainer, good coaching, and patience!

So, let's all be postitive here and pass on the joy of Fitness. I wish everyone happy training!

Replies

• cclaborn22
    Options
    What incredible opportunities you have had!

"At the lower levels of fitness competitions, it's fun and with a team or a gym supporting their athlete, it can be a fun and confidence boosting experience for that athlete, however, at the top competitions the pressure to be perfect can destroy the ego of someone who is too new and uneducated about what the expectations are."
    --I definitely can see how this can happen. I saw this taking effect in some of the girls on my team, and it was their first show as well. It's a sport I think every woman should do at least once for the confidence boost, but remember that it is more than the show and a trophy. It's the process in getting there and the things we learn about ourselves. I've never pushed myself as hard in the gym until I did a show.

Thank you for posting this! Happy training all!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    ccalborn,

glad you have a good team who understands the goal of Fitness competitions: have fun and push your self! Self awareness is so key.

As a coach I have a pet peeve: bad trainers and bad coaches who push a gal to think that she is hot sh*1 and will win. That's not the attitude to have ever! Humility and honesty (especially with ones self) is what makes you a winner.

Another problem I have is any coach who let's a gal out on stage who breaks a rule. Like one of the easiest rules to NOT break is wearing appropriate attire. It annoys me when I see a gal on stage in a bikini that is NOT a v-shaped bottom. How hard is it to read the rules and to educate your clients? lol, be a good coach and know the rules - be a good athlete and know the rules!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    postures:

bikini as well as fitness competitiors should practice their transitions and all postures every day!!!!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/alissa21.htm

Do not wait until the week before your comp. to start. Get it all down and work it. You will only get better with practice and it will become second nature. And have a coach!!!!!