Help! I've gained ___ pounds in the last day!

Options
Jorra
Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
Since this period issue comes up most often, I think it deserves a permanent answer.

Most women experience a slight weight gain right before their period begins. Don't fret! This gain is not caused by fat, but rather by water. That bloated feeling is just your body retaining water for the duration of your period. Soon after your period ends, the weight will quickly drop back off.

You can alleviate this partially be avoiding high sodium foods before and during your period. Also, make sure to drink a lot of water. It may sound counter-intuitive, but water is the best remedy for water retention.

Replies

• PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Since this period issue comes up most often, I think it deserves a permanent answer.

Most women experience a slight weight gain right before their period begins. Don't fret! This gain is not caused by fat, but rather by water. That bloated feeling is just your body retaining water for the duration of your period. Soon after your period ends, the weight will quickly drop back off.

You can alleviate this partially be avoiding high sodium foods before and during your period. Also, make sure to drink a lot of water. It may sound counter-intuitive, but water is the best remedy for water retention.

Now it all makes sense! I haven't dropped any weight in the past week, and I started my period on Friday LOL.
  • Jorra
    Options
    Glad I could help! When you have your period you have two options regarding weighing:

1. Put the scale away.
    2. Monitor your weight to learn about how your body works at this time, remember not to be discouraged.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Monitoring how my body works is a great idea. I should have done it years ago. My period started yesterday (on group weigh-in day) and it's the same. I feel like a blob of jelly, though, I can practically see the water through my skin.
  • angelapolite
    Options
    Wow, you've been reading my mind. I've gained 1.6 pounds this week, I know my TOTH is coming next week. What's you're saying has to accurate, because my BF% went down, while I went up in pounds. I celebrate the BF loss! YAY!!:flowerforyou:
  • margiemommy
    margiemommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    how much weigt should or can u gain during the time before during and after ur period and not have to worry about it being fat
  • Jorra
    Options
    how much weigt should or can u gain during the time before during and after ur period and not have to worry about it being fat

Unless you ate more than 3500 calories above your maintenance goal, you did not gain fat. The amount is different for everyone, even up to ten pounds is normal.
  • margiemommy
    margiemommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    thanks this was very helpful
  • trlyblssd79
    trlyblssd79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    So helpful!! Thank you :)
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options

I'm so glad you posted about this. I would gain anywhere from 5-10 pounds during my TOM. Cutting way back on my salt intake and upping my water intake kept me to under 5 pounds, but it still felt like a ton.