One month Paleo/Primal

Options
CRody44
CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
Hi,

New to the Paleo/Primal thread, but started MFP the day I got out of the hospital with AFib on July 5th (I now log my meals on Livestrong because it graphs my blood glucose, carbs, fat, cholesterol, and protein. It also gives me my daily micros as well as macros). My cardiologist put me on a low calorie, low fat, low sodium diet, told to get my fatass off the recliner and exercise, and get my diabetes under control. I found that it was almost impossible to eat 1800 calories, stay low fat) and sodium (eating lotsa chicken drove up the sodium) without eating a TON of fruit and veggies. But then, all the carbs spiked my blood glucose (all “good carbs” except once a week potatoes, I had given up all grains already because I saw how they spiked my blood glucose). I read Cordain’s “The Paleo Diet” and Wolf’s “The Paleo Solution” and started eating Paleo September 11. This greatly helped my Blood Glucose readings, but they were still above what I wanted to be able to convince my doctor to take me off the diabetes meds. I read Sisson’s “The Primal Blueprint” and liked what he had to say about the Carbohydrate Curve, that to lose weight, eat between 50 and 100 grams of carbs per day, and to maintain weight, eat between 100 and 150 grams of carbs per day. Maybe I wasn’t paying close enough attention to the Paleo information on carbs, or it wasn’t explained to where the light went on like Sisson did. I went Primal on September 31. Anyway, my blood glucose is finally under complete control. I lost 6 pounds on the 18 days I was eating Paleo and 6 pound in the 14 days that I have been eating Primal. I just emailed my doctor to see if I could have a Lipid Panel and A1C done so I can see if I can get off my statins, blood pressure and diabetes meds.

I’m probably 95% Primal. I eat no processed foods, no grains, no dairy other that a little butter (Kerrygold) and a little shredded cheese with my breakfast omelet, I use only coconut oil, olive oil, and butter for cooking, my fruits and veggies are all Farmers Market Certified Organic. Probably less than 5% of my animal meat is grass fed and finished, but I’m working on that. All my fish of Alaskan wild caught.

I walk 30 minutes per day, three times per week as close to 75% of MHR as these fat pudgy little legs will walk, with (right now) three 30 second sprints (a slow jog to most people, but I’m a fat old man with a fake knee) twice a month. I throw around a 35 lb. Kettle Bell 100 (4 X 25) times, three days a week, and will be starting Sisson’s Primal Essential Movements (“PB 21 day Total Body Transformation”) tomorrow.

The Paleo/Primal experience, so far, has been easy for me, since I was probably eating 85% Primal before I started. My joints hurt less than they have in 40 years, and I feel younger, more fit, healthier and have more energy than I have in decades, plus, this is very easy to stick with.

Replies

• jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    That is really excellent progress! I know that you are eager to get off the meds but my understanding is that the A1c is a long term assessent of blood sugar. All your short term markers will likely look really good. Be prepared your A1c may not be quite as low yet as you hope and you may need to ask to check that one at 3 months from when you reduced your carbs. I'm sure you will see a downward trend though. Glad you're feeling well!
  • barkerfit
    Options
    Keep us updated on how the 21 Day Transformation goes. I recently read it and I am working on getting primal. It's tough work!
  • CRody44
    Options
    Jamk
    Thank you for the praise. I’ve been eating 85% Primal since February, having dropped all grains and most processed food, and eating organic fruits and veggies. In July, when I ended up in the hospital with AFib, I passed out first. They learned that it was probably due to low blood pressure and low potassium. From February to July, my change in lifestyle had improved my health to where my high blood pressure meds were too strong, so they took me off three high blood pressure meds, cut my cholesterol med in half, and took me off one of my diabetes meds, so I have a good start. A1C measures your blood glucose average over a three month period, and, since mid August ( after we came back from a two week cruise to Alaska, ate like a fool then) my BG has dropped steadily , and in the last month, since going Paleo/Primal, it has run from 92 to 127 two hours after a meal, so I hope this will be enough to do it.

What I really want to get off of is the statins. Lately, I have been experiencing muscle weakness, forgetfulness and sleep issues. I think, in my case, statins are doing more harm than good.

Barkerfit,
    Although I’ve been very close to full Primal, I was eating 100 grams of carbs per day, sometimes more. Today I started on my 21 Total Body Transformation, starting with 50 grams of carbs which I’ll try to stick too. I’ve had a lifetime of dieting (woes of a fat boy) and hit 332 several times, the last being about 10 years ago. Me decision to do the 21 Day, even though I was doing well, was to get down to 232, a loss of 100 lbs, by Christmas. I have 10 pounds to go. I’ll let you all know how it’s going.
    Chuck
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    What I really want to get off of is the statins. Lately, I have been experiencing muscle weakness, forgetfulness and sleep issues. I think, in my case, statins are doing more harm than good.
    Get yourself on CoQ10. Statins are known to deplete CoQ10, causing the muscle weakness. 'The Primal Blueprint' talks about this. I've not only dropped Lipitor (my HDL and LDL dropped enough that I could get away with it), but I've also started taking CoQ10 200mg/day. I've noticed an improvement.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-coq10-gelatin-fruit-and-eggs-and-ldl/
    http://www.preventive-health-guide.com/coq10.html

EDIT: what I am trying to say is, even if you are on the statins, start taking the CoQ10. A lot of doctors now recommend taking CoQ10 as a part of any statin therapy.
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your backstory Crody, a great read and you've done so well.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Monk,
    Good info on CoQ10, thanks. In what form do you take your CoQ10? I noticed that some of the soft gels have soy oil in them.

After dropping statins and taking CoQ10, how long did it take before you noticed a change? Also, when you were taking statins, did you have any forgetfulness or sleep problems?
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    Good info on CoQ10, thanks. In what form do you take your CoQ10? I noticed that some of the soft gels have soy oil in them.

I currently take powdered caps, but will switch to oilcaps when I run out. Sisson points out that the amount of soy oil in the caps is so small that it won't have any nutritional effect. Sounds logical.
    After dropping statins and taking CoQ10, how long did it take before you noticed a change? Also, when you were taking statins, did you have any forgetfulness or sleep problems?

I'd say a couple of weeks - but I guess it depends on how much you're hurting and how in tune with your body you are. I wasn't feeling much myalgia myself that I could directly attribute to the statins, but between the TED stockings, weight loss, omega3 boost and the CoQ10, my joint pain (and easy muscle fatigue) has subsided remarkably. All I can say is last weekend I shocked my wife while we we hiking the headlands above San Simeon by suddenly sprinting up the side of a sand dune. I haven't felt like doing that for about 10 years. :)

Oh yeah... forgetfulness. ;) I have been feeling senile, but have been attributing that to...age. Now that you've mentioned it, I'll try to note any improvements in that area.

I don't have sleep problems - I'm the type who stays up until I can't keep awake. OTOH, between mid-night potty runs and sleep apnea, every night is problematic. Just part of the territory! ;)
  • jamk1446
    Options

I currently take powdered caps, but will switch to gelcaps when I run out. Sisson points out that the amount of soy oil in the caps is so small that it won't have any nutritional effect. Sounds logical.

It costs a bit more but I recommend taking the reduced form of CoQ10- ubiquinol. Some people have a hard time converting the regular form (I am one) or even if you don't, a lot is lost in conversion so you may have to take a lot of the regular form to feel an effect. I took softgels which may contain soy oil but as I don't have an allergy and it's such a small amount, I didn't worry about it.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Monkey,

We gotta be brothers from a parallel universe, ie: potty runs (only mine is 2-3 am) and adjusting that damn mask on the CPAP machine wakes or keeps me wide awake. The Bride gets up at 4:30 to get ready for work, so there is really no use in trying to get back to sleep, so I get up, make the coffee and get ready to make her breakfast. She still works so I’m the little house mouse and do the shopping, cooking and house work.

I noticed a few months ago that I would have to stop talking to search for a word that I wanted to use. Last night, I was talking to my wife about the email I sent to my doctor a few hours previously, with the reasons I wanted to quit statens, I couldn’t remember all three reasons. Very frustrating and kinda scary. I refuse to believe that this is because of “old age”. And I just got back from Trader Joe’s, and forgot the CoQ10, and that was the reason I went in the first place. I did find a nice package of grass fed rack of lamb.

What are you using for the omega 3, other than fish? I’m using fish oil caps right now but got some Krill oil as soon as that runs out.

To all of you younger folk, it is great that you are getting healthy now so you don’t have to put up with the ills of abusing your body for decades.

Jamk, thanks for the info on ubiquinol. I’ll do some research on it.

Chuck
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    We gotta be brothers from a parallel universe, ie: potty runs (only mine is 2-3 am) and adjusting that damn mask on the CPAP machine wakes or keeps me wide awake. The Bride gets up at 4:30 to get ready for work, so there is really no use in trying to get back to sleep, so I get up, make the coffee and get ready to make her breakfast. She still works so I’m the little house mouse and do the shopping, cooking and house work.
    Yeah, we seem to be in the same boat. I'm also retired while my inamorata still works, so I'm a house-husband as well - or as I prefer to call it, "domicile management". ;)
    I noticed a few months ago that I would have to stop talking to search for a word that I wanted to use. Last night, I was talking to my wife about the email I sent to my doctor a few hours previously, with the reasons I wanted to quit statens, I couldn’t remember all three reasons. Very frustrating and kinda scary. I refuse to believe that this is because of “old age”.
    Yeah, that's pretty much my situation as well. Since I -am- a child of the '60s (and quite the believer in 'recreational chemistry' in my youth), I've always assumed it was braincells sputtering out early. But since you've brought it up, I'll pay more attention to any cognitive restoration as I go along... :)
    What are you using for the omega 3, other than fish? I’m using fish oil caps right now but got some Krill oil as soon as that runs out.
    Currently, caps (1000 x 2), plus salmon at least once a week for dinner, sardines (in water) for nighttime snacks, cod and ahi when the prices dip, olive oil for salads and cooking and saved lard from grass-fed beef/pork for cooking. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I can get my grass-fed beef, primal-compatible pork, free-range eggs, and the occasional chicken or turkey from a neighbor who raises food animals as a side business. I've got a chest freezer full of a LOT of meat since I have to buy a half-side at a time.

I was also thinking krill oil as well. I'm going down the hill to TJ's this week, so I'll look into it.
    Jamk, thanks for the info on ubiquinol. I’ll do some research on it.
    The oilgels at TJ's are ubiquinol, and are about 50% more expensive than the ubiquinone ones (which I bought). There is some controversy over just how much better ubiquinone is, so read up and decide if it is worth the extra. This article looks at the issue:
    http://www.wellnessresources.com/tips/articles/taking_q10_for_a_test_drive_is_ubiquinol_better/

Anyhoo, break time is over. :D

namaste,
    Norm
  • CRody44
    Options
    I can get my grass-fed beef, primal-compatible pork, free-range eggs, and the occasional chicken or turkey from a neighbor who raises food animals as a side business. I've got a chest freezer full of a LOT of meat since I have to buy a half-side at a time.

We had a cabin in Arnold for 10 years with the intent to move up there permanently, but my hospitalization plan (Kaiser) wouldn’t cover me up there, so we sold it and bought a new home. While up there, we learned about Distel Free Range Turkeys out of Sonora, and have one every year, down here, ordered from Lenardi’s . I’m still looking for grass fed meat down here that isn’t too expensive. Right now, I get mine from TJ’s and WFoods, but that can be pretty expensive.
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    While up there, we learned about Distel Free Range Turkeys out of Sonora, and have one every year, down here, ordered from Lenardi’s .
    Yeah, we get ours through Raley's. Next year our neighbor is going to try raising heritage turkeys (the kinds that existed before modern science produced our modern mutants) and I'll probably go that route...
    I’m still looking for grass fed meat down here that isn’t too expensive. Right now, I get mine from TJ’s and WFoods, but that can be pretty expensive.
    There's no way around it being pricey...it used to fry my butt until I realized I was looking at it wrong.

Whole foods, organically produced is the way ALL food was produced before modern agribusiness. That means that the cost of organic foods is the REAL cost of food. We can find cheaper alternatives - but like everything else, it's cheaper because they cut corners, use shoddier components, or produce less bang for the buck.

Once I realized that the real cost of food is more that I once thought, I made the commitment to re-order our budget. I still look for the best prices and values - but I don't begrudge it any more.

If you want to pay WalMart prices for food - then you'll get WalMart-quality health. ;)
  • CRody44
    Options
    I go in tomorrow to have my Lipid Panel and A1C lab work, wish me luck. Well, I guess luck has nothing to do with it. It all comes down to – have I been working hard enough? The question is – will I shed the meds
  • jamk1446
    Options
    I go in tomorrow to have my Lipid Panel and A1C lab work, wish me luck. Well, I guess luck has nothing to do with it. It all comes down to – have I been working hard enough? The question is – will I shed the meds

I know you won't get the results for a while but do let us know. Thinking good things...
  • CRody44
    Options
    jamk,
    Actually, I should have the results by e-mail tomorrow evening. I have a GREAT health plan. I'll let you know.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Wishing you a healthy low A1c!

I'm interested in what you guys are saying about statins. I've been on Pravastatin for about 5 years or so. Lately I find the occasional word just out of reach of my tongue. From what you're saying, it might be because of the statin. Perhaps I need to supplement with the CoQ10 as well. Thanks for the info!
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    Wishing you a healthy low A1c!

I'm interested in what you guys are saying about statins. I've been on Pravastatin for about 5 years or so. Lately I find the occasional word just out of reach of my tongue. From what you're saying, it might be because of the statin. Perhaps I need to supplement with the CoQ10 as well. Thanks for the info!
    I don't want to be dispensing medical advice, so I won't comment on whether you need to be on statins. BUT: since it is known that statins interfere heavily with CoQ10 production in the body, you should take at least 100mg of CoQ10 a day while on statins.

As for 'not finding the right word', I'd hate to call that anything other than the aging process. We all do that increasingly as we get older. But if you are getting into areas of befuddlement that make you start to wonder if you're edging towards senility, it might be worthwhile to research statins and memory and discuss it with your doctor.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    There's no way around it being pricey...it used to fry my butt until I realized I was looking at it wrong.

Whole foods, organically produced is the way ALL food was produced before modern agribusiness. That means that the cost of organic foods is the REAL cost of food. We can find cheaper alternatives - but like everything else, it's cheaper because they cut corners, use shoddier components, or produce less bang for the buck.

Once I realized that the real cost of food is more that I once thought, I made the commitment to re-order our budget. I still look for the best prices and values - but I don't begrudge it any more.

If you want to pay WalMart prices for food - then you'll get WalMart-quality health. ;)

^^^^^^THIS!! Really well said, thanks. :)
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be dispensing medical advice, so I won't comment on whether you need to be on statins. BUT: since it is known that statins interfere heavily with CoQ10 production in the body, you should take at least 100mg of CoQ10 a day while on statins.

As for 'not finding the right word', I'd hate to call that anything other than the aging process. We all do that increasingly as we get older. But if you are getting into areas of befuddlement that make you start to wonder if you're edging towards senility, it might be worthwhile to research statins and memory and discuss it with your doctor.

Thanks for this, especially for mentioning the dosage!

One of my goals for being here on MFP is to eventually get off the three meds that I take daily for blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar. I wanna just be on my daily baby aspirin instead of those others! I really feel that if I keep moving and eating right, I'll reach that goal!

As I step into December, I'm giving Paleo/Primal a good 30 days (probably longer). I feel it's a good choice for my short and long term goals.
  • monkeydharma
    Options
    One of my goals for being here on MFP is to eventually get off the three meds that I take daily for blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar. I wanna just be on my daily baby aspirin instead of those others! I really feel that if I keep moving and eating right, I'll reach that goal!
    Not sure if MFP's nutrition goals will get you there - but going primal/paleo definitely will.