1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 medium eggplants (about 2 pounds)
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
Olive-oil, cooking spray
Directions
Drain yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined sieve until thickened, 2 hours or overnight.

Place turkey in a medium saucepan over medium heat; cook until browned, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a medium bowl. Add onion, garlic, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and pepper to saucepan; cook until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Return turkey to saucepan with tomatoes, tomato paste, and oregano. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low; simmer until sauce has thickened, about 1 hour. Remove from heat; stir in chopped parsley; set aside.

Preheat broiler. While sauce cooks, cut eggplants into 1/4-inch slices. Sprinkle with salt on both sides. Place in a colander over a bowl; let stand 1 hour to drain. Discard liquid; rinse each slice under cold running water to remove all salt and juice. Place slices on several layers of paper towels; press out water. Lay dry slices on a clean baking sheet; coat with olive-oil spray; broil until browned, about 2 minutes. Turn; coat with olive-oil spray; broil until browned, about 2 minutes more. Repeat until all eggplant slices have been broiled; set cooked eggplant aside.

Place drained yogurt in a small bowl. Add Parmesan and eggs. Whisk together briskly with a fork; set aside.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Assemble moussaka: Place a layer of eggplant on the bottom of an 8-by-8-inch baking pan. Cover with half the turkey sauce. Place another eggplant layer, then the remaining turkey sauce.Add a final eggplant layer; cover with reserved yogurt mixture. Bake until mixture is bubbling and top starts to brown, about 30 minutes. Transfer to a heat-proof surface; let sit until moussaka cools slightly and firms, about 10 minutes. Cut into squares; serve.

According to my calculations:
PER 1 SERVING (1/6 OF RECIPE= GOOD SIZE PORTION)

257 Calories
23 g Carbs
8 g Fat
27 g Protein
9 g Sugar
3 g Fiber

Edit: Found here- http://www.wholeliving.com/130988/moussaka

Replies

• nicki9139
    nicki9139 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I made this last week and even though it was delicious it was a little time consuming. I made it in a 15x11 baking dish and cut into 8 servings, which was about 228 calories per serving. Also, it was a little on the salty side, not sure if I just didn't get the eggplant rinsed well enough or what. I loved the fresh herbs too, never have cooked with fresh oregano before. I like the idea of this dish, but again with the amount of preparation involved it will not become a staple for me. Thanks for sharing!
  • TempeB
    TempeB Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Would this freeze well? It looks really tempting, but I'm cooking for only one and when I make something that's more than four servings' worth (and time-consuming), I prefer that it's something I can freeze some of the portions.
  • TempeB
    TempeB Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight. A lot of work, but it ended up tasting delicious. When I put the ingredients into the MFP recipe tool, it came out to slightly more than 300 calories a serving. Still, not bad. I think I undercooked the eggplant when I was broiling it, and I also didn't wash the salt off it well enough. I'm freezing three of the six servings.