LeConte Lodge

Options
broadsword7
broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
Anybody ever spent time hiking up to the LeConte Lodge in the Great Smoky Mountains? I haven't been up there in years, but back in the day, I absolutely loved the experience. Especially the group meals they served. There is no power up there, at least there wasn't when I went last. They bring the supplies up the mountain using llamas. It was a wonderful experience. I was just curious if anyone else has been there in recent years, if it was still the same. If I recall, I went up to it taking the Alum Cave trail. While there, I took day hikes out on a stretch of the AT. I would love to go back sometime, I know it's hard to get booked in, there was usually quite a waiting list.

Replies

• GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The LeConte Lodge...never been there myself, but my cousins LOVE it and have been there with a group retreat type getaway a couple times and couldn't say enough about it. Their little rustic cabins are very quaint. Planning a trip for next year?
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The LeConte Lodge...never been there myself, but my cousins LOVE it and have been there with a group retreat type getaway a couple times and couldn't say enough about it. Their little rustic cabins are very quaint. Planning a trip for next year?

If I can get some late season reservations I would love to get there again next year. I think they close at Thanksgiving Day for the winter, so sometime before that, September through October, would be cool. I will definitely post pics if I go!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I know this is kinda an old topic... but I only live a couple hrs away from the Smokies and we recently day hiked to LeConte, it was a great and very chilly at the top. We took Rainbow Falls Trail up the mtn then took Bull Head Trail down the mtn. It was 13.6 miles round trip and quit a bit of elevation. Of course the lodge closes in the winter but we spent a few mins talking to the care taker and he told us the reservations usually needed to be book a minimum of a year in advance. It is beautiful up there and don't know if I will ever stay up there but it is a great and tough day hike.
  • BanjoKd
    BanjoKd Posts: 150
    Options
    I haven't been, but this is on my bucket list.