Cold Weather

Options
Does cold weather feel great to anyone else? I live in Southern California and the weather has been in the 50's and I am breathing easier, I cant stand to have the heater on and I must have the windows open while I sleep for the fresh air, one night I had the heater on and I woke up in the middle of the night from not breathing! I guess it saves on the gas bill too! I just wished I lived somewhere cooler for the summer but maybe if I loose enough weight and make my lungs stronger the summer wont be a problem!

Replies

• sailingsal
    sailingsal Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    No, my asthma gets worse in cold weather, but then i live in scotland so our (hot) summer is about 70F and our winters drop to 14F. So i tend to find my asthma is better from March to september and rough through the winter.
    I try and get fitter and increase lung capacity in the summer to get me through the winters better.
  • literatec724
    literatec724 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a LOT of trouble with colder weather, but then I live in Chicago, so when I say 'colder', it usually involves bitter negative temperatures! It just seems like I can't process really bitterly cold air at all.
  • emberin
    emberin Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was raised in San Diego and was fine. I moved to Virginia and the first winter literally took my breath away. The doc said, "didn't you know you have asthma?" Um, no. Cold weather makes mine worse and can trigger attacks. The humid summers here aren't great either come to think of it.
  • kathleanstyles
    Options
    I was born and raised in Virginia. I find that the humidity during our summers makes it easier for me to breathe. Have you guys ever heard of humidifiers? You run them at night and it makes the air much more moist and easier for you to breathe while you sleep. It's great for people that have asthma attacks at night. I try to go running every day and it's been in the upper 60's lately, but my asthma has been giving me a fit because of the dry cool air. Cold weather definitely sets off asthma attacks.
  • modine43
    modine43 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    COLD WEATHER IS trigger for me.
  • mode35
    mode35 Posts: 4
    Options
    when it's too hot or too cold my chest hurts like mad.
  • erietech
    erietech Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hot humid weather is my trigger, and living on the shores of beautiful Lake Erie makes my asthma worse during the summer months. Spring, Fall, and Winter have no effect on me.