Favourite Jamaican Dishes

Options
ackeebee
ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
come on guys, tell us your what your favourite jamaican dishes are and also feel free to share some "low fat" recipes :-)

Replies

• chrisja
    chrisja Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I love rice and peas, with either fish, chicken or oxtail. Love white rice and curry chicken or curry goat. Ackee and saltfish....almost everything really...lol.

Is there such a thing as a Jamaican low calorie dish?....lol
  • ackeebee
    Options
    I love me some stew peas and white rice, cow foot, curry goat, even salt mackerel and banana lol
  • catlady100
    Options
    Stew peas (has to have pig's tail), oxtail, fried plantain, plantain tarts....ackee and saltfish with jonnycakes (sp).
  • Kaybee1011
    Kaybee1011 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bulla cake and cheese too guys.................I love everything Jamaican..........except rundung......yuck
  • msenior
    msenior Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Lawd a massy:
    Roast breadfruit and ackee and saltfish.
    Fried dumpling and tin mackerel
    Curry chicken and green banana, plantain and pear.
    Rice and peas and brown stew chicken.
    Stew peas and rice
    Rundung and green banana with a piece of white yam.
    Red peas soup.

i better stop now, its too late to raid the kitchen
  • chrisja
    Options
    How could I have forgotten the stew peas and white rice....and the fried dumpling with tin mackerel or beef liver....saltfish fritters....and the list goes on and on.
  • ackeebee
    Options
    lol, now you guys are making me hungry. it seems like i am the only one on here who don't eat ackee and saltfish. hopefully one day i will be brave enough to try it
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I am hungry2, anyway I only eat fish now but ackee & saltfish anytime with some calaloo
  • maxxmore
    maxxmore Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My mom made some green bananas and ackee and bacon (didnt have any saltfish) and it was sooooo good.... do any of you remember eating green bananas and butter only.
  • msenior
    msenior Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had loads of dumpling and butter, especially when it rains. You all know when it rains in Jamaica, it goes on for days non stop.
  • chrisja
    Options
    Lol...never had it personally but I know of people who have had banana and butter, yam and butter and especially dumpling and butter.
  • ackeebee
    Options
    roast yellow yam and saltfish.....nice :-)
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    somehow "low fat" doesnt go with Jamaican food ....lol
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    How could I have forgotten the stew peas and white rice....and the fried dumpling with tin mackerel or beef liver....saltfish fritters....and the list goes on and on.

yes... yess and yesss :-D
  • ackeebee
    Options
    oh, devon stout ice cream :-)
  • chrisja
    Options
    All Devon House ice cream for that matter...lol
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Options
    Devon House was ranked 4th in the world for best ice cream parlours to go to :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/ice-cream-parlors/
  • Kaybee1011
    Kaybee1011 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I may be the one to do all the voting for that......I want some right now.:laugh:
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    OMG........ u guys are making me crazy hungry. I feel so bless to come from such humble beginnings bc even when things get rough we know how to survive even if it's with some dumpling & butter.... i remember the days when we use to run "boat" & mek some cartwheels, u bellyful wid some water. I thank God for those days even though i did not appreciate them then bc now i can survive any tide. Have a gr8 THANKSGIVING every1
  • ackeebee
    Options
    OMG........ u guys are making me crazy hungry. I feel so bless to come from such humble beginnings bc even when things get rough we know how to survive even if it's with some dumpling & butter.... i remember the days when we use to run "boat" & mek some cartwheels, u bellyful wid some water. I thank God for those days even though i did not appreciate them then bc now i can survive any tide. Have a gr8 THANKSGIVING every1

lol, your cartwheel comment made me buss out laugh at my desk lol.

we hated some of the things we went through as kids but now looking back, it was good for us. i was probably eating more healthily back then than now. all those fruit and veg you could pick in your backyard or your neighbours lol and never go hungry. it might not have been what you wanted at the time, but it had its benefits. now everyone going on about 5 a day, we were eating about 10 a day back then lol.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !

It's work as normal here in the UK