SHIN SPLINTS

I have been struggling with Shin Splints and remembered a blog I read here. Great information for all of us Newbies and Seasoned runners alike:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AZTrailRunner/view/help-with-your-shin-splints-139007

Help with YOUR Shin Splints...
Posted on 08/19/2011 by AZTrailRunner
I've seen this question asked numerous times, and since I too have dealt with "Shin Splints" off and on over the past 20 years, I thought I'd post my thoughts on causes and cures for the aggravating pain.

Before we begin, let's quantify the term "shin splints"... it is generally a dull pain, located between the knee and the ankle, on the inner or outer anterior (front) portion of the lower leg, and brought on my some form of athletic activity; mainly running here in the MFP land.

So how do you get them?

The answer..... there are many ways to get them. Shin Splints are generally considered an "overuse" injury, and tends to develop in an accumulative manner, and not acutely or sudden.

But generally speaking, here are the usual culprits:

1. You are new to running, and your lower legs aren't used to the pounding.
2. You are adding too much distance in too short of a time.
3. You are increasing intensity too soon.
4. You are running on very hard surfaces (sidewalks) before your legs can handle it.
5. You over-pronate.
6. Old, broken-down shoes.
7. Underdeveloped/ unbalanced lower leg muscles.
8. Poor running form

There are sure to be a few other reasons, but these are the main ones.

TREATMENT:

1. Get fitted for proper "running shoes" at a running store. Toss out your shoes after 400-500 miles. They break down internally.
2. Have your form checked and make necessary adjustments. This will not only prevent shin splints, but also other running-related injuries, increase your speed, and make you more efficient.
3. Ibuprofen after a run.
4. Ice the shins for 20 minutes at a time after your run.
5. Stretch your calves thoroughly after running.
6. Strengthen your Tibialis Anterior muscles (muscle on your shin bone):
..............A. Walk around on your heels (toes in the air) for 30 seconds at a time several times per day.
..............B. Sit on a high seat so that your feet can dangle off the ground. Use your feet to hold a small dumbbell (5-10lbs). Make sure the dumbbell is up towards your toes. Now lift the dumbbell with your toes as high as you can (only moving your feet, not your legs). You want to feel the muscle on the front of your lower leg contracting (Tibialis Anterior). Do a couple sets of 15-20.
..............C. Use your toes to spell out the Alphabet on the floor.** alternate way to do this is laying on your back** You can also use your toes to pick up marbles and set them aside.
7. Ease back on your running. Either take more time off until healed, slow down, run shorter distances, or stay off of hard surfaces until fully re-couped.
8. If you are a new runner, add more "walking time" into your runs.

Experienced runners can get caught with Shin Splints too just from adding in some crazy workouts, so it's not just a problem for new runners. Left untreated, Shin Splints could possibly turn into Stress Fractures. If that is the case, you will certainly be taking a few months off from running. So take care of them when they first start bothering you.

Bottom line, ease back on the pounding until your legs can handle the abuse.

Thank you AZtrailrunner for your advice, it has helped me power through!

Replies