Is this normal...?

Options
tseecka
tseecka Posts: 90 Member
I did my first day of C25K yesterday--it felt so good! I was feeling like I could keep running longer than the 1 minute interval but I tried to keep myself to the structure. Structure makes me happy. :P I'm doing it on the treadmill rather than outside, because we just got our first dump of snow this weekend and it's no longer good running conditions out there.

But I noticed, nearing the end of my workout and then much stronger afterwards, that my right hip is aching. It feels really strange, it's a little difficult to put weight on that leg (I'm walking with a slight limp, now). Not pain, exactly, but a great deal of discomfort. As someone who suffers TMJ, it actually feels remarkably similar to how my jaw feels when it pops out of joint--like the ball isn't resting quiiiiite in the socket, so to speak, and if I could just stretch it out enough it would slide back in.

I'm just wondering if this is a normal "new to running" thing, or if I should get it checked out by a physiotherapist, and if it's indicative that there's something wrong with my joints or just my body getting used to actually physically running.

(For reference's sake, I'm 22, and have had no joint problems up to this point aside from my jaw.)

Replies

• cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's from running, but I get hip pain once in a while, especially when it gets cold. Our joints tighten up in colder weather. Yoga has really helped me, for what it's worth. I do some yoga hip openers at home sometimes.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if it feels like your TMJ, I'd suggest getting it checked out. Better safe than sorry!
  • tseecka
    tseecka Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A little extra information...

I tried the treadmill again last night and felt the same discomfort after about 20 minutes of running/walking. I wanted to get in my full 30 minute workout, so I thought I'd go back on the elliptical for the last ten minutes, and it wasn't aggravated by that motion.

Makes me think that it might have more to do with my feet hitting the "pavement" than the actual motion of running.

I'm going to try running on the track, rather than the treadmill, for my W1D3 workout and see how that goes. I went running on the street this past Saturday with no problems so we'll see where the problem actually lies...

And if it persists, I'll go to physio.