I am starting NROL4W, what should I know?

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
luv_lea sent me an email asking for advices and it made me think of making a list of advices for those that are starting this program. Add as you wish :)

- If you start this program soon, it's not a bad idea to try to strenghten your hands. My weak grip has been one of my biggest obstacle. I knew my body could handle more weight but my hands didn't
- You will be soar. The first week of the new sessions are killer. I remember at the beguining, I had to take tylenol before every workout.
- On the step ups, it's important to have a the step as high as possible to have an effective workout. Perso I use the bench. You can also use a barbell on your shoulders instead of dumbbells like in the book.
- If it is possible, do not use the smith machine for your squats.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, ditto the sore.
    Try to go down on squats until your quads are parallel to the floor.
    I try to increase weights as often as possible.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    luv_lea sent me an email asking for advices and it made me think of making a list of advices for those that are starting this program. Add as you wish :)

- If you start this program soon, it's not a bad idea to try to strenghten your hands. My weak grip has been one of my biggest obstacle. I knew my body could handle more weight but my hands didn't
    - You will be soar. The first week of the new sessions are killer. I remember at the beguining, I had to take tylenol before every workout.
    - On the step ups, it's important to have a the step as high as possible to have an effective workout. Perso I use the bench. You can also use a barbell on your shoulders instead of dumbbells like in the book.

what are you doing to improve grip strength?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

what are you doing to improve grip strength?

It has improved with time, but If I knew before, I would probably started just holding heavy weight for as long as possible to have my strenght. I know there is also those hand thingy that you can squeze but I have no idea if they work
  • fitrunnermd
    Options
    Also, don't forget to record your reps and the weight you lift each time. It helps to be able to see how far you have come.

If you need to bring the book with you to the gym to make sure you are doing the exercises correctly.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I would also add to make sure you get a good warm up and stretch well after the workout is over. It really helps especially if this is your first experience with lifting weights. Don't be afraid to try a heavier weight than you're used to or think you can handle. If it's too much you can always go back down.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Do not be scared of the free weights room at the gym.

To improve grip I do farmer's walks on the treadmill with weighted plate-I usually do 1 plate and switch hands every min. for 10 min. or as long as you can go.

Dynamic warm ups and stretch at the end has helped me with soreness a bit, but I still get sore after I start a new stage.

Strong is the new sexy!

P.S. Don't be afraid to get bulky-women don't get bulky, they get sexy arms and buns of steel from lifting heavy things. :)