Excess Skin Forum (Surgery or Body Image)

Options

Replies

• nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    As for me, I have just started this journey. I do not like my fat upper arms. I am using all types of lotions, brushes and exercise to stimulate my skin and hoping that my skin has great elasticity and bounces right back. If not, I will have all the surgeries. :)
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    WOW! I am loving reading thru everyones posts! I have lost almost 90 lbs since surgery and 70+ since joining MFP. I am still a few pounds away from goal. But I definately have excess skin. I am pear shaped and most of my weight loss has been hips and thighs. When I sit down my excess skin puddles around my butt! In clothes I can wear shapers and it is not as noticable.

I am considering my options. For now I am daily moisturizing the skin and taking vitamins to help with the elasticity. For my face I have done laser tightening to help with the wrinkles left behind as my face 'deflated.'

Please keep updating this forum, it is so helpful!

Blessings, Lisa
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have been doing sit ups for the last month or so to see if it will help tighten any of the muscles in my tummy/abs. I do lift three pound dumbells 75 times as arm curls twice a day to try to help with my bat wings. I have been obese all my life so I don't think my skin is gonna snap back. When I first started the WLS process I didn't think I would do or want plastic surgery for the saggy skin but after loosing 47 pre op and now 54 pounds since sleeve surgery things are sure saggy and look bad. Almost worse than when I weighed 270 pounds. UGH!
  • HealthyDeb
    HealthyDeb Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's comments! I went to the Dr post op visit and he had few answers to my questions of the complications I had. He did say he had a favor to ask me and that was if he could use my before pics for a panel he was starting with 2 other PS and himself. He was calling the panel the "Deborah Panel" and it's purpose is to study lipo on lower extremities in massive weight loss patients. I gave him my permission if it would help someone else but just asked that my face wasn't in any of the photos, lol. I think that shows that there was definitely a problem in order for him to start this panel and I'm interested in finding out his findings.

I'm healing up nicely but slowly. Dr released me to restart up my normal activities as tolerated so I began my treadmill at 2.0 mph at 10 mins and now I'm up to 20 mins. I'm heading back to my original goal of 60 mins. I'm still very sore and bruised and swollen but that's normal. I look and feel like the marshmallow man on ghostbusters, lol. I go back for a follow up on 11/28. I only have to wear the support garment 24/7 for 17 more days, yippee!

Had I known the effects of the wearing of support garments (I'm now wearing the spanx/flexees) on my contours, I wouldn't have gone ahead with the surgery. Maybe I'll change my mind once the swelling is down but right now I feel like it show's little difference.

Stand by!
  • HealthyDeb
    Options
    Thought I'd give an update to anyone who is interested. :flowerforyou:

I went to my PS visit Dec 3rd and the swelling has pretty much gone down with the exception of my right ankle area which is weird since he didn't lipo there. I still have hardly any feeling in my calves and that is weird too since he only took a dab out of them. He said his main concentration would be the thighs and that it's difficult to go further down the lower extremities since it is harder the further away from the hearts blood supply for healing. I begged him to just take out some since I'd love to be able to wear boots and haven't been able to find any since I was a teenager due to my entire big legs. (Not just the thighs which are extremely huge.) Anyway, now I believe I've screwed up. Due to my complications with the pain meds, :sick: freaking out post op not to mention the additional cost -I'm scared to do the 2nd phase of the surgery which is the lift. My skin is even looser on the legs which was to be expected but guess I didn't realize how much and now they swing like crazy! There is still tons of fat above my knees too and it still hangs down over my knee caps so badly that you can't even see them now. I am doomed come summer when I want to go to the lake! Will it ever end?!!! :sad:

My next appointment isn't until March. I'll let you know what develops at that point in case anyone is following my journey. Thanks!:smile:
  • HealthyDeb
    Options
    WOW! I am loving reading thru everyones posts! I have lost almost 90 lbs since surgery and 70+ since joining MFP. I am still a few pounds away from goal. But I definately have excess skin. I am pear shaped and most of my weight loss has been hips and thighs. When I sit down my excess skin puddles around my butt! In clothes I can wear shapers and it is not as noticable.

I am considering my options. For now I am daily moisturizing the skin and taking vitamins to help with the elasticity. For my face I have done laser tightening to help with the wrinkles left behind as my face 'deflated.'

Please keep updating this forum, it is so helpful!

Blessings, Lisa

Lisa,

Laser tightening? hmmmm, interesting, I wonder if that could be done on my calves at least? In lieu of lift on calf areas since that is impossible to place a discreet scar on the calves according to my PS it would have to run up the back of the leg and look like seemed stocking, lol. Have you heard of anyone doing this procedure on any area other than a face? I've not heard of it period but of course I've lived under a rock, lol at 56 yrs of age.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options

I went to my PS visit Dec 3rd and the swelling has pretty much gone down with the exception of my right ankle area which is weird since he didn't lipo there. I still have hardly any feeling in my calves and that is weird too since he only took a dab out of them. He said his main concentration would be the thighs and that it's difficult to go further down the lower extremities since it is harder the further away from the hearts blood supply for healing. I begged him to just take out some since I'd love to be able to wear boots and haven't been able to find any since I was a teenager due to my entire big legs. (Not just the thighs which are extremely huge.) Anyway, now I believe I've screwed up. Due to my complications with the pain meds, :sick: freaking out post op not to mention the additional cost -I'm scared to do the 2nd phase of the surgery which is the lift. My skin is even looser on the legs which was to be expected but guess I didn't realize how much and now they swing like crazy! There is still tons of fat above my knees too and it still hangs down over my knee caps so badly that you can't even see them now. I am doomed come summer when I want to go to the lake! Will it ever end?!!! :sad:

My next appointment isn't until March. I'll let you know what develops at that point in case anyone is following my journey. Thanks!:smile:
    Thanks for update Deb!! I am following your progress since I will need similar surgery if I ever get up the nerves and under 300 pounds. I have one question for you. If you knew what you know now would you do this again? Take all consideration about cost off the table. If you rich and money was no issue would you do this surgery again and if anything what would you change.

Hang in there. Change is always hard. I do feel if you stick with it you will get a good outcome. You just have to get over the humps or bumps in the road. Thanks for sharing with us.
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    now I believe I've screwed up. Due to my complications with the pain meds, :sick: freaking out post op not to mention the additional cost -I'm scared to do the 2nd phase of the surgery which is the lift.

THESE PROCEDURES ARE SO COMPLICATED AND HEALING CAN BE SUCH A LONG PROCESS. ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAD A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF FAT OR TISSUE REMOVED. HANG IN THERE. I DON'T THINK YOU SCREWED UP. YOU JUST UNDERESTIMATED HOW TOUGH RECOVERY IS. STAY ON YOUR SURGEON'S CASE ABOUT ANYTHING THAT'S BOTHERING YOU SO HE CAN HELP YOU HEAL FOR THE NEXT PHASE. I'VE HEARD THAT THE LEGS ARE THE TOUGHEST OF THE POST WL PLASTICS. HOPFULLY AFTER YOUR LIFT YOU WILL SEE THE RESULTS YOU EXPECTED AT THE OUTSET.
  • HealthyDeb
    Options

Thanks for update Deb!! I am following your progress since I will need similar surgery if I ever get up the nerves and under 300 pounds. I have one question for you. If you knew what you know now would you do this again? Take all consideration about cost off the table. If you rich and money was no issue would you do this surgery again and if anything w:grumble: hat would you change.

Hang in there. Change is always hard. I do feel if you stick with it you will get a good outcome. You just have to get over the humps or bumps in the road. Thanks for sharing with us.

Good question...I'm still trying to decide...:grumble:
  • HealthyDeb
    Options
    now I believe I've screwed up. Due to my complications with the pain meds, :sick: freaking out post op not to mention the additional cost -I'm scared to do the 2nd phase of the surgery which is the lift.

THESE PROCEDURES ARE SO COMPLICATED AND HEALING CAN BE SUCH A LONG PROCESS. ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAD A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF FAT OR TISSUE REMOVED. HANG IN THERE. I DON'T THINK YOU SCREWED UP. YOU JUST UNDERESTIMATED HOW TOUGH RECOVERY IS. STAY ON YOUR SURGEON'S CASE ABOUT ANYTHING THAT'S BOTHERING YOU SO HE CAN HELP YOU HEAL FOR THE NEXT PHASE. I'VE HEARD THAT THE LEGS ARE THE TOUGHEST OF THE POST WL PLASTICS. HOPFULLY AFTER YOUR LIFT YOU WILL SEE THE RESULTS YOU EXPECTED AT THE OUTSET.

Thank you for your post. I really appreciate your encouragement & will keep this in mind.:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyDeb
    Options

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

Thanks for update Deb!! I am following your progress since I will need similar surgery if I ever get up the nerves and under 300 pounds. I have one question for you. If you knew what you know now would you do this again? Take all consideration about cost off the table. If you rich and money was no issue would you do this surgery again and if anything w:grumble: hat would you change.

Good question...I'm still trying to decide...:grumble:
    That says a lot right there. :ohwell:
  • cecep5248
    Options
    I would love to have my lower stomach and boobs done... I went for a free consultation and was told it will cost 24,000 plus... I am trying to figure out how I can get it done where it is not cosmetic... Ugghhh!!!

I had this done in '95, 2 years after my RNY and I was so happy that my insurance paid for it. The excess skin can cause issues too, mention it to your doctor if it causes chaffing or skin irritations. You never know how they might handle if there are additional medical issues relating to the excess skin.

The bat wings and thighs I wish I could have gotten fixed, but I will just continue to exercise and tone and just deal with it. I just feel better not being 300lbs....I can deal with this little thing.

Wishing you the best...Celia
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Deb, I enjoyed reading about your journey and am interested to know your next step. Thanks for so much info and sharing your story. I have lost 120 thus far and don't know what i will be doing.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i would kill to get lower tummy and boobs done(never gonna happen tho) :sad: i can live with the bingo wings also would love to get the tops of legs done down to the knees!
  • cecilialibra
    Options
    Two questions for you who have had PS:

1. If your insurance covered it, what sort of issues did you have that made them cover it?

2. If your insurance didn't cover it, what did it cost and how did you finance it?

Thanks!
  • HealthyDeb
    Options
    I just realized that I forgot to update MFPs on my last follow up in March. I have nothing to report, really. The swelling is all gone and feeling is mostly back but it's been almost 6 months too. The skin is very loose, much worse than prior to the lipo (which was expected) and I will have to live with it for now. I feel very fortunate to have done all the PS that I've done so far and would love to complete the final phase but I can't see charging anymore PS at this time and I haven't the money to pay out of pocket. I believe if money was no object and I could also find a reputable PS who had prior experience with massive weight loss patients and done the legs I would go forward and complete my journey in that area. The legs, I think, are very tricky and you don't hear of many patients who've done them successfully. It's a large area and hard to find PS who have much experience in that area. It's quite costly and I don't think it's worth it unless you have the money and know they can show you several references.

My PS is going to contact his resources and asked me to follow up in another 6 months to see if I changed my mind.

Thanks for all your comments.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Thanks so much for update Deb!! As you know I need the leg surgeries also. You give me a lot to think about my friend.
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    I know that because of my age (47) and the fact that I've been overweight/obese all of my adult life, I will eventually have to "deal" with this excess skin. I've only just begun this journey (VGS 12/5/12) but I am already flapping on my belly, back and thighs... Not so worried about the thighs... spanx works wonders in taming the jiggles there but the upper and lower belly, my breasts and this horrible advent of back fat... its making me quite ill...

In my research, I ran across this article... your thoughts?

http://www.alighterme.com/corset-trunkplasty-surgery.html
  • cclark665
    cclark665 Posts: 5
    Options
    NO men responses? whats up? Men Don't care ? I do. I want to have tighter skin but I am not sure I will qualify for surgery and there is no way I will be able to pay for it out of pocket.