Hows hunting this weekend?

Options
PanteraGirl
PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
Who is hunting and what are we hunting this weekend.....I was out for deer last weekend....was on a hot trail but came out empty! :(

Replies

• jbdowns35
    Options
    Bear season is this weekend in PA & buck is the following week. The guys will be spending alot of time at hunt camp....Some peace & quiet for us girls. Can't wait to fill up my freezer again with some fresh meat, I still have 3 packages of backstraps from last year, I've been trying to use it all up.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Deer season starts this weekend. Hubby hasn't been out for geese or pheasants. In-laws live in Minnesota, and my father-in-law and his brother both got bucks opening day. I'm hoping hubby fills his tag early!
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I hope to to get a big one this weekend. Its supposed to be good and cool and no full moon!! Bucks should be moving. My 6 yr old got his first buck this past weekend.
  • mrimike
    mrimike Posts: 139
    Options
    Muzzleloeader season is open for elk in north Idaho right now. It's also any weapon for deer in most units up here. I'm planning to head out Sunday for a bull but I'll take a buck if it's a nice one. We already have 1 deer, 1 moose, and 1 elk in the freezer this year so there isn't much pressure on me:)
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Rifle season just started here this past weekend, but I prefer to hunt with stick and string ;)

In other news, I got my first buck ever with my bow this last Thursday!!! I was SOOO excited.....nothing like it! Perfect heart shot, he walked 35 yards and passed away very peacefully.

Mmmmm, nothing like some good backstraps. :drinker:
  • PanteraGirl
    Options
    Deer season starts this weekend. Hubby hasn't been out for geese or pheasants. In-laws live in Minnesota, and my father-in-law and his brother both got bucks opening day. I'm hoping hubby fills his tag early!
    *fingers crossed *
  • PanteraGirl
    Options
    I hope to to get a big one this weekend. Its supposed to be good and cool and no full moon!! Bucks should be moving. My 6 yr old got his first buck this past weekend.

Congrats to your son!!! And whats this full moon thing?? Is that why my *kitten* didn't shoot anything last weekend?? LOL
  • PanteraGirl
    Options
    Muzzleloeader season is open for elk in north Idaho right now. It's also any weapon for deer in most units up here. I'm planning to head out Sunday for a bull but I'll take a buck if it's a nice one. We already have 1 deer, 1 moose, and 1 elk in the freezer this year so there isn't much pressure on me:)

Very nice meat you got there!!! So far our group got two deer and a bear. ....we just had Elk open up this year for the first time in many years due to lack of population...I didn't bother applying for a tag.... maybe next year.

I was supposed to go out this weekend..but thats not happening....its the last rifle hunt weekend for deer. I could still hunt bear though later and boyfriend has a bow so I'm sure he's going to go out soon!
  • PanteraGirl
    Options
    Rifle season just started here this past weekend, but I prefer to hunt with stick and string ;)

In other news, I got my first buck ever with my bow this last Thursday!!! I was SOOO excited.....nothing like it! Perfect heart shot, he walked 35 yards and passed away very peacefully.

Mmmmm, nothing like some good backstraps. :drinker:

Congrats!!!!! That s fantastic!!!!! :)
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    I would LOVE to raid your freezer!!!!!
  • mrimike
    Options
    I would LOVE to raid your freezer!!!!!

If I have any luck over the next couple weeks I may just have to hand some out:) I'm running out of freezer space LOL
  • mrimike
    Options
    I almost forgot that cougar and wolf seasons are still open too! I have a much better chance at a wolf than a cougar, but I won't be sad if I run across either:)
  • PanteraGirl
    Options
    I almost forgot that cougar and wolf seasons are still open too! I have a much better chance at a wolf than a cougar, but I won't be sad if I run across either:)

You have cougar season....wow....the ministry of natural resources in Ontario refuse to admit there are cougars here.....Its a load of crap. All of us know they are here! We have a season for wolf here too...But I've never hunted wolf. What do you guys do with wolf and cougar? Eat, or just population control?
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    What I have experienced with full moon hunting is that the deer will do most if not all of their "traveling, eating, etc" at night when the moon is full and lay down in the thick stuff during the day. My game cam also backs this up as most of my pics I get are late at night during the full moon phase.
  • jbdowns35
    Options

Wow, it must be nice where you live!!! Such a variety of wildlife. Here in PA, we mainly have small game, (grouse, pheasant, squirrel, etc) wild turkey, coyote, black bear, white tail deer. We have a small herd of elk in a very small area, you have to enter a lottery for a license. We have a bird dog & well, he's pretty much retired now, but pheasant & grouse hunting has become a passion for my boyfriend & his buddys. The dog training has become something I love. However, grouse & pheasant are becoming scarce & the game commission has to stock pheasants. My dog breeder moved to Idaho mainly because of the bird hunting available. She said her dogs went wild, not knowing what to do with the hundreds of birds in a single field. While I love the wilderness in my home state, the Pennsylvania Wilds, we call it, I'm envious of people like you that have such an abundance of wild life to experience.
  • mrimike
    Options
    I absolutely love living here! It takes me a little while to get to the salmon and steelhead areas but it's worth it too:) I only have so much time , or I would hunt bears and birds more too. The wolves are becoming more and more aggressive with people here. I've had a few friends get a little too close for comfort with several of them at once. They definitely are NOT afraid of people.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    250 lb. black bear first day in NY. Haven't seen a decent deer yet, doe & younguns - back out. Oh - ANY GOOD RECIPES for bear? It's looking like a lot of sausage right now.
  • mrimike
    Options
    250 lb. black bear first day in NY. Haven't seen a decent deer yet, doe & younguns - back out. Oh - ANY GOOD RECIPES for bear? It's looking like a lot of sausage right now.

I think you're getting a lot of sausage too:) I'm hoping to take a bear this spring. I've never really hunted bears but we have a lot of them. I have a few friends that bait and take bears every year so I just need to put in some time with them and do it. I'd love to get my son up in a stand with me for that:)
  • PanteraGirl
    Options

I like bear chilli :) Its kick *kitten*!!!
  • PanteraGirl
    Options
    What I have experienced with full moon hunting is that the deer will do most if not all of their "traveling, eating, etc" at night when the moon is full and lay down in the thick stuff during the day. My game cam also backs this up as most of my pics I get are late at night during the full moon phase.

Hrm....I need a game cam......my brother has one...but I want to get a few and put them around all our different stands!