Anyone participate in craft fairs?

jls1661
jls1661 Posts: 586 Member
edited October 5 in Social Groups
Just thought I'd see if any of my fellow crafters were vendors at craft fairs. I'm attending my second craft fair ever this Saturday. The first was a total bust, but I looked at it as a learning experience. So, I've readjusted my tactics and am ready to give it another whirl. Anyone want to share their experiences, tips, funny stories ect?

My first craft fair was actually sabotaged, I never realized craft fairs were so cut throat lol. Another craft fair down the road kept tearing down the signs for ours, and even had people in the parking lot telling visitor that the craft fair I was at sucked and directing them down the road to theirs. It was funny and sad at the same time, funny in that I was totally shocked at the new side of crafting. Sad in that sales were horrible and that hurt the vendors.

Replies

• Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    This is my 5th year of craft fairs. I am doing 10 total this year.

My heart goes out to you. I know exactly what you experienced. My first year was really bad. I did like 20 that fall/winter and although I only lost money on one of them, there were soooo many that were not worth my time. Each year it gets better, and I learn how to improve my booth. This year I'm finally doing really well at all of them. This weekend I have an art fair both Sat & Sun and am very excited. I have done it the past 2 years and did really well. Customers aren't as 'cheap' at art fairs as they are at craft fairs.

Good luck!
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    That is terrible they did that to you. I've heard some horror stories too though. I was told that some people will literally take pictures of your craft you are selling and go home, make it themselves and sell it the following year. I have to admit I go to the craft fairs and look at things and start thinking oh i can make that and go home and figure it out but i would never take a picture of it and make it obvious. Now, my husband makes things that he can sell and just took out some books at the library to learn how to sell them at craft fairs. His work is just as good if not better than most of the things i've seen at the fairs.
  • Copequeen
    Copequeen Posts: 34 Member
    I've been making quilts for 15 years. Did shows almost weekly for first 5 years and even started running my own. Even did show 3 days out of hospital with first kid. He grew up on them but with number 2 wasn't a feasible idea, so took break. Just starting up again. Have 2 shows in next couple months. And kids make jewelry so added that to my booth plans.
This discussion has been closed.