Race day tips:

Options
arc918
arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
My top three tips (which can't be repeated enough):

1) Don't go out too fast!
2) Don't go out too fast!
3) Don't go out too fast!

If you are chasing a BQ or other arbitrary time goal (sub 4:00, sub 5:00) be extra careful. Going out on pace and trying to "hang on" usually has a really bad ending. Make sure your training really supports that pace (despite your desires).

Also, nothing new on race day - use your training to get all your nutrition & clothing figured out. Don't buy new shoes at the expo...

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Good stuff.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You can muscle your way through a half without blowing up, but the truth will come out at mile 19. The marathon is a just a different beast and the effects of starting out too fast are exponential. Once the damage is done, you will pay heavily later in the race.
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    I suck at pacing...being less than a year into this racing thing, my technique is to pick a runner to follow and then switch to another one if it seems too fast or too slow...talk about clueless.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would say don't change your routine. I decided to switch from bodyglide race day. If you look in my pics, you'll see the results. It looked like I was shot 2x in the chest.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Have fun. Don't ever forget why you're out there. Its because you love it. :flowerforyou: