Friend's dinner party - HELP!

Options
We are out to my husband's friends for a dinner party tomorrow evening. He has told me the menu includes "pea ravioli" and fruit crumble.

Any ideas on how I can minimise the damage? I figure I could say no to dessert, pleading being "full", but ravioli??

I have been low carb (20-30g) for 6 weeks, doing brilliantly, felt wonderful and not cheated even once. I don't want to spoil it now, but I certainly don't want to be a rude guest!

Thanks for any ideas, Tracey

Replies

• Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ohhh this is a conundrum. In my experience I tend to use it as a cheat day- and get back on it the next day with a good workout.

sorry I cant be of more use!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Surely they must be serving salad if they are having pasta?
  • tjtemple
    Options
    @cramernh I hope so - though knowing my luck it will be garlic bread!

@metal_beau I am going to double up at the gym tomorrow and the following day. If the carb bloat isn't too debilitating!

Thanks both of you :-)
  • muddiboots
    muddiboots Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've got the same problem coming up. Friend is delighted with fab recipe she has found and wants to try it out on 'the girls' and of course it's a pasta dish. Been pondering for several days how to deal with it!
  • CaraBeara1
    Options
    Don't know if this will help, but before I go to dinner parties, I eat my low carb dinner right before I go. That way, I'm not at all hungry. Then I nibble on salad or veggies or meat or whatever is available, and drink a lot of water or tea. With raviolis, I would just treat them like oysters and open them up and eat the filling which is just meat/tomato/cheese for the most part. :) Any other pasta dish, I would just eat the sauce or toppings without the pasta.

If I felt I would offend the host by not getting a carbohydrate, I've been known to just cut it up a little, maybe smoosh some pieces and move it around on the plate, but not actually eating it. For the most part, nobody pays attention to what other people are eating or not eating.

The key is to arrive full so you can nibble on the low-carb stuff and stay out of the garlic bread and dessert!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Why are you getting so stressed about it ? keep your carbs low in the morning, enjoy the meal if your full, apologise that you don't want dessert as your full up maybe work out in the morning before but definitely work out morning after :bigsmile: simples:bigsmile:
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Agree, treat it as a cheat day if it's over your carbs, but don't cheat on other stuff. Shaking it up a LITTLE is good. :)

And drink extra water. And eat some good protein (hard boiled egg?) before going, so that you can be eating good protein with that carb!! ;)

Good for you not cheating for 6 weeks. I've brought my own fish to family stuff, but in this case it'd be weird! ;)
  • gammybarb
    gammybarb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    In these cases I tend to drink a ton of ice water and eat some protein before I go so I am pretty full already when I get there.:bigsmile:

Have a wonderful time