Weight training workouts?

Options
Hello im new to the group!

I just started the Chalean extreme 90 day workout and its using different weights! My arms are killing me from the first 4 days of training!

I was just wondering what other people are doing for the weight training? are you following workouts?

Also do i increase my weights heaviness if they become to easy?

Thanks all!

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I get battered by Instructor Leakes in Kickboxing 2x's a week...

I also do weight circut at my gym and I will do workouts through Nike Training App (awesome app if you have an Iphone or Ipad - lots of strength workouts)

When I do my workouts I do a full body - arms/legs and core - so I usually leave a day between...if you are doing a program and you are doing it everyday make sure you arent' working the same areas in consecutive days - so if today you focus on arms - then tommorrow focus on legs...

As for weights it depends on what you want - more muscular look you want to fo fewer reps at higher weights - more toned look more reps at lower weights...I use 7.5 and 10 lb hand weights, a 6lb medicine ball and an 8 lb kettle ball...I sort of subscribe to the Jillian Micheals way of thinking when it comes to reps - using a lower weight and keep going till you can't give anymore and then give 1 more....
  • Marmot12
    Options
    Im using 2kg and 3 kg weights at the moment as the 3 is quite heavy for me lol

The workout im doing is good and it does focus on different areas each work out its also for 90 days!

I want to get my arms a bit more tonned build a bit of muscle for weight loss and my weight loss has come to a stand still at the moment lol
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

I just started the Chalean extreme 90 day workout and its using different weights! My arms are killing me from the first 4 days of training!

I was just wondering what other people are doing for the weight training? are you following workouts?

Thanks all!

Yes, you need to increase your weights as soon as you no longer struggle to get to the last rep.
    Chalene wants you to lift to failure (struggle to lift the last rep)....

You're definitely going to need heavier weights soon....
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I like to do isolated muscle groups as opposed to full body, though I seem to be in the minority. I usually make my own routine, doing 3x8, 4x8, 3x10 or maybe 3x12 at a weight that I can do the first two sets completly (maybe failure at -1 on the second set) and then failure at about -3 or less and increase when I can complete it.

60ish second rest inbetween sets.

I'd tend to do three workouts per muscle group and break it up by chest and arms, legs, rest, shoulders and back, rest rest. Change up the motions or sets/reps every 2mos (easier to keep track of in months than weeks for me)

Then I learned that bodybuilding.com has workouts and I began doing the Laura Bailey one at the beginning of October and I absoutly love it. It is so fun! This one is much higher reps (usually 15). Come December I'll be moving on to Kathleen Tesori's but modifying it to sets of 8-10 reps.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/find-a-plan-muscle-building-2039-female.html
  • InstructorLeake
    Options

Oh I love this quote Jenni! And you do so Awesome in class with your dedication and hard work! I look forward to Tuesday's class, I have "new" material! :devil:
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

Oh I love this quote Jenni! And you do so Awesome in class with your dedication and hard work! I look forward to Tuesday's class, I have "new" material! :devil:

ha ha I won't be there - beat up Tracey and Pam instead...not looking forward to the Tuesday after Turkey day though..I am seriously thinking about asking for a bag for my birthday next month - I think I could get my girls into punching and kicking a bag if we had one here at home...
  • Angiebug1969
    Options

Thanks all!

I started Chalene Extreme on November 14th!! I'm following it (the workouts) exactly like she instructs... writing down the weight I use, and INCREASE IT if I don't hit muscle failure by that 12th repetition!! Yes I'm sore... not just my arms! My legs are a-screamin from the squats & lunges!! :sad: But I am already seeing results... and I'm only 10 days into it!!

So, hang in there... just follow Chalene's lead... she is a professional & knows her stuff! :wink:
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Thanks all!

I started Chalene Extreme on November 14th!! I'm following it (the workouts) exactly like she instructs... writing down the weight I use, and INCREASE IT if I don't hit muscle failure by that 12th repetition!! Yes I'm sore... not just my arms! My legs are a-screamin from the squats & lunges!! :sad: But I am already seeing results... and I'm only 10 days into it!!

So, hang in there... just follow Chalene's lead... she is a professional & knows her stuff! :wink:

I personally believe Chalean Extreme is a good starting point for learning how to lift heavy weights.... and it works.
    After the 1st Phase (Burn), which was 4 weeks long - I lost 7 inches all over (3 of them from my waist) and 5 lbs.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I really need to start losing a few more inches. Around my thighs and waist would be GREAT. I have a full body routine that I use 3x week, but a friend of mine suggested focusing on different areas each time I lift. Any thoughts?
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    I am just starting Week 4 of the "Training-for-Life" plan (from the Body for Life book). It is about lifting HEAVY (not too many reps) and to EXHAUSTION.

I do 3 weight work-outs per week - upper, lower, upper one week and then lower, upper, lower the next week. And, I do 2 (sometimes 3) HIIT cardio work-outs per week. One rest day a week.

I don't know what the "Chalean Extreme" is, but I will google it, now!
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    Workout 1
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Chins
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Bent Over Rows
    Standing Military Press
    Calf Raise

Workout 2
    Squats