Another net carb question

Options
I know this has been asked a hundred times on the threads but I want to make sure I am clear on this..PB , Robb Wolf and all the sources say to keep your carbs under 50 grams a day if you want to lose weight.. some say under 25 if you need to lose more than 30 lbs... Is that net carbs we need to look at or total carbs?

Replies

• demuralist
    demuralist Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Generally the sources of Primal that I have read do a straight total gram carb count. (I however do net carbs, cause in the end I feel better when I am close to 50g of net carbs). I have about 100 pounds to lose and this is working for me. When I was lower, I never-4 months later-got over the carb flu, so that is when I switched to 50 net, much better and I started losing weight.
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the protocol is these days. I remember net carbs being an atkins or protein power thing. It makes some sense to count out the insoluble fibers that come in our food, that don't have any effect on insulin, etc. But it's also another way to gimmick up what we're doing here. JMO.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda with graysgirl on this one. I haven't seen much discussion from the sources I frequent about net carbs and I think they mean total carbs. 50g total carbs will probably get you net 20-30g anyway, it's just one less thing to worry about.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda with graysgirl on this one. I haven't seen much discussion from the sources I frequent about net carbs and I think they mean total carbs. 50g total carbs will probably get you net 20-30g anyway, it's just one less thing to worry about.
    that makes a lot of sense.. thanks! that is so much more simple and easy
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mark Sissom in Primal Blueprint recommends 50gm to 100gms of carbs for weight loss...there is no discussion around net, effective or impact carbs from what I can recall (though I am currently re-reading to ensure I didn't miss anything).

He says anything less than 50gm (and most certainly less than 30gms) will put you into ketosis.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I know this has been asked a hundred times on the threads but I want to make sure I am clear on this..PB , Robb Wolf and all the sources say to keep your carbs under 50 grams a day if you want to lose weight.. some say under 25 if you need to lose more than 30 lbs... Is that net carbs we need to look at or total carbs?

Primal and Paleo approach use the total carb approach. Atkins and South Beach use the "net" carb approach.

Dr Atkins started the whole net carb thing so that people could eat more once they subtracted the fiber from their vegetables and fruits (when it came time to add them in).