Daily run log

Options
bprague
bprague Posts: 564 Member
I thought it would be cool to let everyone know what we were planning to run for the day.. or just ran etc. Just chit-chat about our running :)

Last night I had an excellent 5 mile run. It was particularly peaceful and despite the 32 degree weather, I felt really good.

Replies

• ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Did 3.5 miles this morning...it was cold & windy and I was pretty sore because yesterday late afternoon I did the Bob Harper Inside Out Super Burn Super Strength DVD which always makes me feel like I'm going to die. LOL! But I kept up a 9:30 pace so I was pretty pleased with that.
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options
    I'm heading to the gym to run 10-11 miles on the treadmill, but I HATE the treadmill so a lot of times I just don't finish.
  • bprague
    Options
    I'm heading to the gym to run 10-11 miles on the treadmill, but I HATE the treadmill so a lot of times I just don't finish.

How in the world can you run 10 miles on a tread mill! I get bored enough running outside for 5! lol
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I hate when my mind and my body don't sync up! I waited until after lunch to have a run, and I only eeked out 1 pathetic mile. I just wasn't into it AT ALL. So freaking disappointing. Sometimes, I can suck it up and finish it anyway, but not today. :grumble:
  • skemery
    skemery Posts: 100
    Options

How in the world can you run 10 miles on a tread mill! I get bored enough running outside for 5! lol

Funny you should say that, I got so bored I quit after 2! I never get bored running outside, but on the treadmill I can't seem to get lost in my thoughts the way I can on the road.
  • Heather_023
    Heather_023 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

Funny you should say that, I got so bored I quit after 2! I never get bored running outside, but on the treadmill I can't seem to get lost in my thoughts the way I can on the road.

Completely agree! I don't know what it is about the treadmill but I find it physically harder (like I'm carrying an extra 20lbs...) and yes, so, so boring...
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Completely agree! I don't know what it is about the treadmill but I find it physically harder (like I'm carrying an extra 20lbs...) and yes, so, so boring...

I loathe the treadmill.....makes me feel like a hamster on a wheel. A friend of mine owns a fitness center and sometimes we'd go on really "off" hours when nobody else was there, cover our treadmill readouts with towels, put in a movie and run 'till it was over. Only if the crappy Iowa winter weather was really, really bad, though....otherwise we toughed it out and ran outside in almost any conditions.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill... I use mine during the summer (because of the extreme North Texas heat)...I'm really loving the cooler weather so we can run outside right now. Today is a rest day on my schedule, but tomorrow we are running 15 miles =)
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am a day behind here...but yesterday I ran 8K. It was very windy and cool.....I ended up doing a one-way run and got my hubby to drop me off 8K up the road (he was going that way anyway! hehe) and I ran home with the wind at my back. It was great. Not near as cold when the wind is not in your face.
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    About the treadmill.....

I agree! I only run on it when I have to. I am happy to have one, but at the same time hate using it. The most I have run on it is 10 miles, and that is only once, and I still can't believe that I did it. Lol Normally I do anywhere from 30-45 minutes and that is my limit. It is another windy day here....so maybe I will have to hop on it today.

We'll see.
  • bprague
    Options
    Ran a 5k turkey trot today. I made it just as the clock hit 30 minutes, which was nice since that means I ran an average of a sub ten minute mile. Also doubly nice since I train at a very slow 12 min mile pace.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Ran a 5k turkey trot today. I made it just as the clock hit 30 minutes, which was nice since that means I ran an average of a sub ten minute mile. Also doubly nice since I train at a very slow 12 min mile pace.

Great job!
  • beki18
    beki18 Posts: 21
    Options
    i completed a beautiful 10k on bush tracks yesterday morning, even copped a bit of rain, but the smells of the bush are totally amazing, i love running outside. will be running again this afternoon will either do 7 or 12 km, not sure yet depending on the weather as if it does turn nasty i will head indoors to do a treadmill session. I love the treadmill for speed sessions, keeps me honest with the pace, but nothing beats outside.
    :smile:
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Put in a 4.25 mile run this morning. Feeling much better with my pace. Able to maintain a sub 10min mile for over 4 miles. And that feels darn good.
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hey Gang,

I see many comments about the DREADEDness of running on the treadmill.
    I am going to chime in with my 2 cents worth of comments. I find running on the treadmill can control some of the conditions- like strong winds, hills, uneven pavement and the craziness of cars but it also trains in anticipation of races.

Our treadmill is in our basement and that means it gets warm when I run ALL THE TIME. It is a sweatfest of epic proportions.

I ACTUALLY LIKE running on the treadmill.
    There are 2 things I try to control when I do long runs on the treadmill

1. As I get further in the run my discomfort ( hot and very sweaty ) gets worse. So I use this time to try and toughen up and finish my run no matter how rough it gets. I believe this has helped me in many races as I go through rough patches. I ran a race this summer that had a 105 degree humidex and I think this training on the treadmill helped me from stopping.

2. Running in one spot on a treadmill gets very tedious and boring. To combat this I always try to imagine that I am somewhere that is way more enjoyable then my basement and this really helps pass the time. Just like some of the races I run when I need to stay relaxed, I try to distract my mind from all the pain and discomfort.

I hope this helps some of you find a different perspective about treadmill running.
    Send me a message if you have questions or strongly disagree with my post
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The only thing I like about the treadmill is when I'm sprinting I have an easier time sticking to the distance. But that is ALL I like about it!

I ran 6 miles this morning and it was cold and windy! It was not an enjoyable run. I included hills and still kept my pace at 10.52 so my pace was still ok.
  • katharine1229
    Options
    Did my farthest run today! 10.36 miles :) I'm quite happy I have been able to go from 3 miles to 10 in just about 2 months, but now I really need to find some way to increase my SPEED...my pace was about 10:30 the entire time so at least i was consistent.

It was beautiful today though, about 54 degrees perfect temp for a run (and this is in new york i don't know whats going on up here haha)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Today was a crosstraining day - a little strength training circuit in my garage, ahead of a 4 mile (plus some sprints at the end) run tomorrow.
    I'm training for a half marathon and have just hit week 6 of a 16 program, and from next week the long runs get LONG (longer that I've done before) so it's going to be challenging! But, I know I can do 8 miles without too much trouble, so next week's 10 miler should be fine. I quite like the fact that my training program (on Runkeeper) is in miles, 10 miles doesn't sound very long, but if I think of it as 16km, then that's a bit scary!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I'm with every one on the "I hate treadmills" train of thought for regular runs, though I would rather do a treadmill run than get on an elliptical. I agree with one poster that treadmills are good for speed work. They insure I keep my pace up for the amount of time plus speed workouts tend to be shorter. :happy:

I'm not running today. I did the Annapolis Half on Saturday so I'm taking a bit of a break. I'm just going to do some light biking today.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Training up for the Shamrock Marathon

Day 1 3 miles at 11 minute pace with 15 weeks of 4 of week runs to go :^)