Depressed New grad..... is this really life after nursing sc

Options
school... I have crazy student loan debts and do not have a job. I have applied to numerous upon numerous of places. I have only had 2 call backs. I am beyond depressed when each time I log on to Facebook another person who I went to school with has landed a killer job.
What am I doing wrong?

It literally makes me sick to my stomach! I can't stop comparing myself to people.
I am tackign additional courses to somehow hope that it will somehow set me apart.
Has anyone ever been in my shoes? I have no idea what to do.
All my day consists of is applying for jobs and working out.
I have been unemplyed for about 6 months and I feel sick!! Why is this all not panning out?
Does God have something better in store sad sad sad sad sad sad

I don't know what to do :'( I had my 1st appointment with an unemployment center.. she helped tweak my resume and is going to help me on my journey in finding a position... but wow
this can't be life.
How am I suppose to turn this into a positive??? brokenheart

I'm also canadian

Replies

• casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding a job. The job market is terrible right now for everyone. They say you will always find a job if you go to school for nursing. I still believe that is true. You may have to get a job that will take a little driving though. One that is not as close to your home as you would like may be a possibliltiy. When I graduated from nurisng school I was looking for a job that would give me the most experience, which is hospital nursing, in my thinking anyway. Once you have experience under your belt it will be easier for you to get a job. They want to see that you stay somewhere for at least one year or more. Learn as much as you can about the hospital you are going to. The big teaching hospitals are great hospitals for new nurses. Think positive when you go for a job interview, have a attitude of being excited to have the chance to work for THEM, their specific hospital or facility. Make sure you know why you are excited by doing your homework and finding out about their place of employment. Talk them up.
  • Nursdoc
    Options
    HECK YEAH!!!!!!!:laugh:
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having a hard time finding a job. The job market is terrible right now for everyone. They say you will always find a job if you go to school for nursing. I still believe that is true. You may have to get a job that will take a little driving though. One that is not as close to your home as you would like may be a possibliltiy. When I graduated from nurisng school I was looking for a job that would give me the most experience, which is hospital nursing, in my thinking anyway. Once you have experience under your belt it will be easier for you to get a job. They want to see that you stay somewhere for at least one year or more. Learn as much as you can about the hospital you are going to. The big teaching hospitals are great hospitals for new nurses. Think positive when you go for a job interview, have a attitude of being excited to have the chance to work for THEM, their specific hospital or facility. Make sure you know why you are excited by doing your homework and finding out about their place of employment. Talk them up.

This is great advice all around, I agree with the whole thing!

You might also want to contact some sort of nursing recruitment agency - they are tasked with finding just the right candidates for jobs. Your extra classes might give you an edge there, and they can coach you in everything from questions YOU should ask in an interview, and how to write a Thank You letter after your interview (this is CRITICAL in my opinion!)

Last year I was desperate to get out of the Flex Pool, and I needed a break from clinical nursing. I've been an RN nearly 30 years, with a vast and varied resume. The job I 'thought' I really wanted I was turned down for... I was told that I had a great resume, excellent experience, and I obviously had the talent and the skills to excel at the job - I just wasn't "a good fit". To this day I have no idea what that meant, and I was devastated - cried for days.

I applied and interviewed for 2 other jobs that I also didn't get... wow, was I gonna be stuck forever?

I finally applied and was offered a job as a Quality Coordinator - LOOKING BACK., I now see THIS was THE job I was meant for, and I'm forever grateful for not being "a good fit", lolol! I've been in this job just over a year, and I'm thankful every day!

Your future will be so bright, just hang in there through this part and THE JOB you are meant to have will present itself at exactly the right time!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    Options
    You and I were in the exact same shoes until just two weeks ago. I graduated in May, top 10 of the class, had some additional certifications and experience and I couldn't find a job to save my life. I applied to 200+ positions and didn't get hired until just last week officially.

I went out and got my BLS teaching certification, and Advanced EKG Pharm cert. I applied to everything from nursing homes to ICU to home health and in between. My main selling point to nursing homes was that I can re-certify their nurses when their BLS expires (they told me THEY LOVED THAT) and that I was looking to advance my certifications to ACLS.

When I interviewed for the hospital, I told them the same only really focused on obtaining my ACLS and more certifications.

I got a part time job at a nursing home near my house and a full time job on telemetry in a different state (non-compact). It's VERY HARD but you can do it. Just don't give up hope just yet!
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Congratulations cweiss.
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    Ugh, I SO relate to this. I am finished with nursing school in December and I think I already hate it. I was an art major before nursing school but that wouldnt pay the bills so I had to get real.

I had this summer off from school so I took a job as an inpatient psych nurse because I loved psych in school.

The pay was terrible, the hours were even worse and the facility was flat out dangerous. I don't know what I'm going to do yet except that I know I'm not stopping here. I hate clinical nursing so I am planning on becoming an ARNP but I have a long ways to go to realize that goal. Until then I think I might lay low in a nursing home, I am comfortable in that setting.