Ice Costs

Options
Qarol
Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
What does ice time cost where you skate?

For me, it's $5 for a 30 minute freestyle. Our freestyles are first come, first served, as opposed to signing up in advance.

I believe the public sessions are $6.50, but I don't ever skate on those. Us figure skaters are banished to the middle, and there's just not enough room to do anything productive. Plus, the brats annoy me.

Coaching costs can vary, but my coach is $55/hour.

When our synchro team rents the ice late on a Saturday night, it's $300 for two hours.

Replies

• skinnyminniexx
    skinnyminniexx Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    that's cheap! i have a rink card so i get a discounted price, so for an hour i think it's $11 for the freestyle. but i teach learn to skate and instead of getting paid i get coupons for free ice time, so i work for my sessions.
  • Qarol
    Options
    I would totally teach LTS if I got free ice time.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I pay $11/ hour for freestyle, it's $13 if you walk on. Public is $7 but I buy punch cards for $5 per session. Public sessions are usually pretty nice when the kids are in school. My coach is $60/hour - I normally just do a 30 minute lesson. I'm also doing a group class which is $14 per 30 minute class and you get free publics with it.
  • Qarol
    Options
    I forgot to mention, it's $7 for walk ons (30 minutes). I use my account card to pay $5.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    It's a lot different here in Canada. Here we typically join a club and get ice through that. You could skate on ticket ice or guest at clubs I guess but they like you to belong to Skate Canada to be covered by insurance.

If you were to guest skate it's typically $20 to $25 and that's for usually 1 hour or 1.5 hours.

At my club I think it was about $800 for the adult membership which gets me access to an hour every morning, 2 hours 4 evenings a week and then I could skate on any general session. Those are usually occupied by competitive skaters of which we have a few very high level ones so I don't bother with those sessions.

Looks like we have a deal with our group classes which are $16.50 for 1 hour and the ones I go to are taught by world and Olympic medallists.

For our synchro team we have ice at this crappy rink which is a steal because we get it through a skating club at $175/hour. Usually ice is about $250/hour.
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Geez Canada is expensive!

Most skaters at the rink do "contract ice" where you pay three installments of 2k for a season (winter schedule or summer schedule) and you're guaranteed 3 sessions a day plus use of the gym. If you just want to walk on its $14 for 40 mins or $7 for 20 minutes. The coaches are also paid by 20/40 mins, not the hour. The average is $80 for 40 minutes...granite you've got world and Olympic champion's coaches teaching lol

Not sure how much it is for the synchro girls!
  • skinnyminniexx
    skinnyminniexx Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i think my synchro team is somewhere around $8000 for the season. and my dance coaches get paid about $55 for 30 minutes
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I also live in a big city which drives the prices up, but ice costs are just insane here. I hate having to find extra ice for our team because it's always way over our budget and it's so hard to find any rinks with available ice.

I have no idea about coaching but I think they start at $60/hour. I think Canada is generally cheaper for coaching costs. At least we have that going for us. :)
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    10 dollars public skating lasts as long as the public skating is open (4-5 hours most days)
    Its half price if you are signed up for a class, or if you purchase a punch card. The class is the better deal however because the overall price is less, you get 45 minutes a week of instruction and other discounts thrown in. I don't really live in ice skating country, so this is the only option, but with the discount it seems like it pays for itself. At full price I would probably not go as often.

I am not sure what it costs to play hockey, but the gear is a lot. A friend of mine does the curling league though and it seems to be much more than skating.