Good luck to thebiggreenmachine!

Options
arc918
arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
He's running his first marathon this weekend! He's crazy fast, the kind of speed that us mortals can only dream about (16:XX 5K, 1:20 half marathon).

Good luck and remember my top three race tips:

1) Don't go out too fast
2) Don't go out too fast
3) Don't go out too fast

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    WooooooHoooooooo good luck my friend, I am so happy for you and will be thinking of you on my run tomorrow! Go kick some butt!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

And those are some fast times.. wow!
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    He is SCARY fast. I hope he heeds your advice!
  • KEShikes
    KEShikes Posts: 110
    Options
    Good luck BGM!
  • thebiggreenmachine
    Options
    Thanks arc.

The race is a little over 30 hrs away (6:15 am sunday). I drove the course earlier this evening. It's mostly run north/south with about 4 miles run east/west, which contains the only real hills. The main variable that I'm wondering about the most is the wind. The wind has been coming in from the NE while I've been down here in St. Augustine and the last 11 miles is run, basically, due north. The wind has been in the 20-30 mph range this week but should die down somewhat this weekend. I've got some strategies in my head of what I'll do depending on the competition and the weather. It should be around 60 for the race and since it's starting so early it shouldn't warm up that much. I'm real nervous but very excited at the same time. Since this is the first year of the race, there won't be a lot of runners. They have around 1000 people registered overall for the 5K/10K on Saturday and the Full and Half Marathon on Sunday, so I think I should place pretty well, although, there is some decent prize money for the top 3 males overall ($2000, $1000, $500), so I think that should draw at least a few really fast runners. I look forward to issuing a full race report when I'm done :)

Here's the link for the race for those that are curious: staugustinemarathon.com
  • arc918
    Options
    That kinds of prize money should bring out some faster runners. Be really careful about getting dragged out at somebody else's pace.
  • flvsusandy
    flvsusandy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • arc918
    Options
    Hopefully the wind dies down. Have a great race!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Hope you're doing awesome out there right now! :happy: