restaurants and take aways - healthy choices

Options
Thought we could share our favourite low cal or low fat or healthier choices that we make at restaurants and for take aways!

Replies

• lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    PREZZO PREZZO PREZZO

They do a whole range of flat bread pizza and pastas that come with a grest salad and dressings and are alll calorie counted and are below 600 for the whole meal...

The food is fewsh and it is a nice place to go with friends who may not be cal counting...

On top of that they have an app where you can always down load a voucher which is either 2 main courses for £12 or buy one main course get another one free so is cheap as well....

Lucy
  • Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options
    i used to throw stones at people who ordered salads at restaurants (not really) but They're good healthy options and really delicious too.. and surprisingly filling.. I went to the place called The Luxe in Liverpool street and they had the nicest lamb salad.... U'd think with cheap ingredients like lettuce the salad option would be much cheaper though ;-s Broke times!
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I live in a turkish neighbourhood, so there are loads of places with grilled chicken and lamb with salad, rice and bread for about £6. If you lay off the bread (or have in moderation), it is pretty healthy.
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Leon is really good for healthy fast food.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I usually have the grilled salmon in Frankie & Benny's, and ask for no potatoes but a salad (no dressing) instead.
  • erikatoth
    erikatoth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Did you guys know that The Real Greek now has cals next to every item on the menu, and also they have put all their foods on MFP too?!?! Heaven!
  • erikatoth
    erikatoth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i used to throw stones at people who ordered salads at restaurants (not really) but They're good healthy options and really delicious too.. and surprisingly filling..

Me too. I was like - whats the point of eating if you dont enjoy? Then I started doing it myself and realised i enjoy it more than stuffing myself with chips and be heavy and bloated afterwards.
  • markdl
    markdl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Did you guys know that The Real Greek now has cals next to every item on the menu, and also they have put all their foods on MFP too?!?! Heaven!

Yeah I went there last week, it's good.. shocked by some of the items though, like the Large Salad at 1200cals!
  • Ayeshat
    Ayeshat Posts: 209
    Options

Yeah I went there last week, it's good.. shocked by some of the items though, like the Large Salad at 1200cals!

:-O musta been one damn fine tasting salad lol.. hmm the real greek, never been, might try it out
  • M0TZO
    M0TZO Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Wetherspoons now has Calories listed on their menus for every item. You can pick up fuller nutrition guide near the condiments which was available before the updated menu came out this week.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love Leon, especially for breakfast, but it is worth checking cals before you go!
    Lots of numbers on their website, but something's are way higher than they should be.
    Bacon sandwich =600+ cals? There's not that much bacon in it. I can make one at home for half the cals.

Ed's diner - no cal data available :( But they now do a skinny on any burger = no bun and salad with dressing.
    No chips. They also do sweet potato fries which are healthier option too.
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love Subway, they have the calories on the menu! I don't feel 'scared' and it's social when I'm out with a friend. Plus it's cheap too!
  • eldarkangel
    eldarkangel Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Very true..I am liking the new menus..not glad its winter though
  • MDChin
    MDChin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nandos - Half a chicken is around 450 calories, could get it with their spicy rice and the total is around 650 (I think)
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    I eat at Nandos every week and do so guilt free. Half a chicken and rice is around 700 cals iirc. I have sparkling water with it. You could have just a 1/4 chicken to save a bit, and you won't go hungry if you ask for the 1/4 to be a breast.

Frankie and Benny's lighter options are good, but no info on the rest of their menu...

Wagamamas is pretty bad, about the best thing to go for unless you find something v small is a Yaki Udon at around 750 cals.

Subway is good and although they don't provide nutrition info, so is Birleys if you order something like a Turkey sandwich.
  • angelacooper3
    angelacooper3 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Chop suey has a low calorie count for Chinese as there are no noodles. Thai isn't bad as long as you lay off anything with coconut in it, Tom Yum is yummy.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I generally try and make room in my calories instead ... Tonight I am off to a non-chain Tapas so I have had to look for the closest equivalent of what I usually have, and create that as a Meal on here.

Other than that I try and surreptitiously look on the app for lower calorie things if they don't have them on the menu.
  • MDChin
    MDChin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Harvester have also changed their menus to have the calories next to them, although theres a big difference between 500 calories of chips and 500 calories of grilled chicken and salad
  • wibbley74
    wibbley74 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    love a skinny byron burger
  • antxoable
    antxoable Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Subway: 6inches italian breast chicken toastie with lettuce onion and sweetcorn
    Watherspoons: chicken wings or chicken cesar salad(250 cals, 600 cals)
    Nando's: 1/4 chicken with corn ans peas(less than 400 calls)