Natural Hair Sista's

Options
2»

Replies

• drchanequa
    Options
    I just went back and re-read your initial post and thought of something else that I could add: My natural hair stylist advised that most African Americans only need to wash their hair every few weeks, unless it's really getting dirty. And sweat is not dirt, so even if you're working out pretty vigorously, at most you'll need to just rinse your hair with water or do a co-wash.

I think the key issue is to find the right products that work for you. I have coarse type 4B hair (and if there were a 4C classification, I'd probably fit it) that soaks up moisture like a sponge. I've found that a good moisturizing spray is a must for me. There are two that I use on a daily basis (alternating between the two): Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist and Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist Bodifier. When my hair is in protective styles, that's all that I use. When it's loose, I use those in combination with a few moisturizing lotions/creams.
  • MsMorningDew
    MsMorningDew Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Morning Dew Hair Products has a great leave in called Mango Coconut Sunshine...smells really good and seals in moisture VERY WELL.

They have a deep conditioner as well that works really well

www.morningdewhair.com
  • Pennhotmom
    Pennhotmom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I too use the Shea Moisture line from Target and Walgreen's. I am wearing my hair in twist most of the time. It's the easiest to maintain for me.
  • DeafDiva42
    Options
    I too use the Shea Moisture line from Target and Walgreen's. I am wearing my hair in twist most of the time. It's the easiest to maintain for me.
  • DeafDiva42
    Options
    I just started using Shea Moisture again. I used it when I first got my B/C and it made my scalp itch too much. I just started back now that my twa is full and I love it. I am still partial too Wen for my co-washes but the rest of the Shea Moisture products Rock!
  • DeafDiva42
    Options
    I just went back and re-read your initial post and thought of something else that I could add: My natural hair stylist advised that most African Americans only need to wash their hair every few weeks, unless it's really getting dirty. And sweat is not dirt, so even if you're working out pretty vigorously, at most you'll need to just rinse your hair with water or do a co-wash.

I think the key issue is to find the right products that work for you. I have coarse type 4B hair (and if there were a 4C classification, I'd probably fit it) that soaks up moisture like a sponge. I've found that a good moisturizing spray is a must for me. There are two that I use on a daily basis (alternating between the two): Shea Moisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist and Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist Bodifier. When my hair is in protective styles, that's all that I use. When it's loose, I use those in combination with a few moisturizing lotions/creams.
  • DeafDiva42
    Options
    I have to try those two moisture sprays thanks!
  • itsmskimmichelle
    itsmskimmichelle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use VO5, Herbal Essences & Giovanni shampoos & conditioners. Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner.
  • itsmskimmichelle
    itsmskimmichelle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use VO5, Herbal Essences & Giovanni shampoos & conditioners. Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner.
  • jesusislove1526
    jesusislove1526 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I cowash only and I use VO5 Moisture Milks Conditioners.