Stage 1

Options

Replies

• holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I completed workout 3a yesterday. But I was wondering do you guys use a free form squat (bar on the back ) or an assisted squat rack (bar attached to a track)? I feel my form is better on the track but the weights are heavier on the free form. Opinions?

You should absolutely NOT use the assisted squat rack (known as the Smith machine). If you want to know the reasons, check the book! The Smith machine is not to be used for anything other than as a bar for push-ups.
  • holleysings
    Options
    FINALLY finished Workout 8B yesterday. I am not doing AMRAP because of my low back problems. (See my previous post on my Workout A results if you want to know about that!)

Workout B results!

Deadlift: 135
    >85 (YES I WENT BACKWARDS. LONG STORY. See other post lol. Actual lifting went 135-85-95-105-110-110-65-85)
    DB shoulder press: 12.5lb
    >20lb (Actually had moved up to 22.5lb before my hip/back had issues.)
    Lat pulldown: 60lb
    >85lb (Actually had moved up to 90lb before the issues.)
    Lunge: BW
    >25lb barbell (very tight quads/low back issues prevented me from adding more weight :ohwell:
    Swiss ball crunch: 10lb plate
    >18lb medicine ball overhead (My abs are RIDICULOUS under all of this tummy fat!)

I'll give my measurement changes after the water retention is down on Thursday! Despite the setback with my low back/left hip, I think I did pretty well!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I completed workout 3a yesterday. But I was wondering do you guys use a free form squat (bar on the back ) or an assisted squat rack (bar attached to a track)? I feel my form is better on the track but the weights are heavier on the free form. Opinions?

You should absolutely NOT use the assisted squat rack (known as the Smith machine). If you want to know the reasons, check the book! The Smith machine is not to be used for anything other than as a bar for push-ups.

Thank you! I have read the book but it has been quite some time ago.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Today I did B4 so I am half way through Stage1 . So excited. I really love the program. It just feels right - if that makes sense.
    I am increasing my weights on most workouts every time.
    Great to see all the amazing progress you ladies are having.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm a newbie, just did stage one workout A for the first time. My gym was CRAZY busy but I did my best. However I had a heck of a time with the prone jackknife!

Dos anyone have tips or is this simply something that will be better with time?

I went to Youtube and watched videos on how to do the prone jackknife. Many of the examples I saw didn't end up with the booty all up in the air. I may try one of those methods next time! Good luck to you!
  • questiontheanswers
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm a newbie, just did stage one workout A for the first time. My gym was CRAZY busy but I did my best. However I had a heck of a time with the prone jackknife!

Dos anyone have tips or is this simply something that will be better with time?

I am halfway done with Stage 1 and I STILL hate the prone jackknifes. I can do them a heck of a lot better than I did during my first embarrassing attempt, but they are still really tough for me. From what I understand, the most important thing is not getting your bum high in the air but making sure you roll back to the plank position between each jackknife. I definitely have areas for improvement on these. I found this thread to be helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/688156-prone-jackknife?hl=prone+jackknife#posts-10059521
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker. I almost completed Stage 1 (May-July) but got side tracked with traveling and vacation and wedding and whatnot. I have restarted it and am trying to focus more on form than weights this time around. I felt like last time, I was making significant weight gains, but my form was meh.

So, here's my problem. Now that I am pushing for form, I realize that my squats suck. I get "butt to grass" on them, but can only do 30lb goblets...I tried 40lb and it was way too much. I have a tendency to lockout/hyperextend my knees at the top, which is causing a bit of knee pain in my right leg. I don't want to increase weight until I get this fixed, but I don't know how to prevent it.

Last time around, I was squatting 60lb on a Smith (I know!), but I wasn't going as low as I should have been. So....what can I do to not suck at squats?!
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    after the first day yesterday I am SO SORE today! legs, back, shoulders! I hardly worked out- only like 15-20 min- and i'm more sore than i am after an hour run! crazy. but it seems like thats how you know it works.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I do cardio after lifting. Usually 20 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill. 2-3 minute walk at 4.5 and 1 minute run at 9.0. My school of thought is that you do the lifting first if that is what you are concentrating on, you need the energy there. After the lifting workout I'm wiped, but once I get on the treadmill I get a second wind and can do the HIIT until I have done 5km (around 32 minutes). Maybe it's because I've been long distance running for the past 3 1/2 years, perhaps my endurance is good. I know that if I did the HIIT prior to lifting I would never get through the first exercise! LOL

I also don't do anything except Pilates on my off days.

I do cardio too. I do the intervals on the bike in the book, then I take a yoga class after. I have been working out 4-6 days a week for the past three years. I have the energy and stamina to do this. Also when talking with the trainer after joining the gym to lift weights he suggested 30 minutes weights 30 minutes cardio.
  • reneelee
    Options
    after the first day yesterday I am SO SORE today! legs, back, shoulders! I hardly worked out- only like 15-20 min- and i'm more sore than i am after an hour run! crazy. but it seems like thats how you know it works.

Ibprofen is great to help with the sore muscles. so is a warm bath with epson salts. The soreness will pass took three days for me to feel normal again.
  • reneelee
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker. I almost completed Stage 1 (May-July) but got side tracked with traveling and vacation and wedding and whatnot. I have restarted it and am trying to focus more on form than weights this time around. I felt like last time, I was making significant weight gains, but my form was meh.

So, here's my problem. Now that I am pushing for form, I realize that my squats suck. I get "butt to grass" on them, but can only do 30lb goblets...I tried 40lb and it was way too much. I have a tendency to lockout/hyperextend my knees at the top, which is causing a bit of knee pain in my right leg. I don't want to increase weight until I get this fixed, but I don't know how to prevent it.

Last time around, I was squatting 60lb on a Smith (I know!), but I wasn't going as low as I should have been. So....what can I do to not suck at squats?!

I read up on the smith machine last night, because my husban is wanting to lift weights again and the smith machine is not liked, because it locks your body in so you are not using your stabalizer muscles and will eventually get hurt, because of this. Also the free weight lifting people litterally laugh at others that use smith machines and brag about how much weight they lift. They said you can lay down on a bench with a smith machine and toss the olympic bar up, can't do that on a bench with an olympic bar and no smith machine. So the smith machine give you a false sence of how much weight you can lift.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I did A5 today. So excited to be over half way! :smile: I was looking forward to the gym today as I was intrigued by the changes of the sets and reps. I have to say that out of the 3 different settings I prefer the 12 reps and 2 sets combo most. I liked the 10 reps today but not so keen on doing 3 sets. Only because I do sometimes feel a bit concious still around the guys. So just doing two sets felt more comfortable. Also I have to hope that for the alternating sets the stations I am using are still free.
    I did like it though and I feel like I have worked harder. I suppose because you do more reps all together. It was great. The prone jackknifes where tough though!

I also measured today (usually I do it Wednesdays) and I lost 1.5cm since last week. Very happy with that! Especially as I was a bit worried as I had quite a few bad days last week eating wise. So I am a happy bunny!
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Finishing Stage 1 Part 4 WO B tonight Starting Stage 1 Part 5 WO A on Saturday...
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I can't keep up with these posts! I finished 5A yesterday and my knee was killing me during squats and stepups, so I'm going to the doc today. I hate getting old. I am pretty sure my form is fine. I have done tons of squats over the years, had trainers, etc. I just did something to my dang knee and am hoping I don't have to take off too much time from lifting.

I was so tired yesterday and my prone jackknives sucked. I'm sure I look ridiculous. Seriously. I was only able to manage 2 sets of 10. My abs are sooooo out of shape. I am freakishly strong in some muscles and freaskishly weak in others.

Regarding calories, I'm currently 180, 5'2" and hoping to lose 35 more lbs (at least). I started MFP doing 1350 calories. Did that for a couple weeks; then moved to 1450; and now I'm at 1550 -- been doing 1550 for a month now and still losing. On lift days, I eat all exercise calories back, so I end up eating 1750. I'm going to see how this goes for a few more weeks. I have random days when I'm RAVENOUS and trust me, I eat when I'm hungry. I just know in the past I have unknowingly done the starvation mode thing (doing WW losing 50 lbs and it took 2 years and I was doing hard cardio 5 days/week). So I just need to fine the right balance that'll allow me to lose weight and not lose muscle.

OMG - I flexed my arm and I can see real muscles! As soon as the fat disappears, I'm gonna be cut!!
  • holleysings
    Options
    I can't keep up with these posts! I finished 5A yesterday and my knee was killing me during squats and stepups, so I'm going to the doc today. I hate getting old. I am pretty sure my form is fine. I have done tons of squats over the years, had trainers, etc. I just did something to my dang knee and am hoping I don't have to take off too much time from lifting.

I was so tired yesterday and my prone jackknives sucked. I'm sure I look ridiculous. Seriously. I was only able to manage 2 sets of 10. My abs are sooooo out of shape. I am freakishly strong in some muscles and freaskishly weak in others.

Regarding calories, I'm currently 180, 5'2" and hoping to lose 35 more lbs (at least). I started MFP doing 1350 calories. Did that for a couple weeks; then moved to 1450; and now I'm at 1550 -- been doing 1550 for a month now and still losing. On lift days, I eat all exercise calories back, so I end up eating 1750. I'm going to see how this goes for a few more weeks. I have random days when I'm RAVENOUS and trust me, I eat when I'm hungry. I just know in the past I have unknowingly done the starvation mode thing (doing WW losing 50 lbs and it took 2 years and I was doing hard cardio 5 days/week). So I just need to fine the right balance that'll allow me to lose weight and not lose muscle.

OMG - I flexed my arm and I can see real muscles! As soon as the fat disappears, I'm gonna be cut!!

Why are you eating 1550? Is that the amount the book recommends for you? If you're ravenous, you're probably not eating enough on off days...
  • kmsairam
    Options
    UGH - my computer is being wacky.
  • Elissalove
    Elissalove Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! I just started Stage 1 (Today is workout B1.) I...am not used to eating so much. I ate half a roast beef sandwich and mushroom cream soup for lunch and I feel REALLY guilty. I have myself set on 1500/day, but on workout days I usually eat a bit more than that.

I did A1 the other day. Step ups are brutal, I feel so week. I also can only do about 5 prone jackknives...embarrassing. I can't wait to see how I progress as the weeks go on.
  • kmsairam
    Options
    I'm eating 1550 because that's what I figured I could eat to lose weight through MFP. But with the weight training, it's adding a new twist. I know I need more calories, but my brain can't compute and also I'm scared to gain weight. I still have 35 lbs to lose. My TDEE is 1800 sedentary. On non-lifting days I'm sticking with 1550, but I'm willing to eat more (I do LOVE to eat).
  • Elissalove
    Elissalove Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1550 because that's what I figured I could eat to lose weight through MFP. But with the weight training, it's adding a new twist. I know I need more calories, but my brain can't compute and also I'm scared to gain weight. I still have 35 lbs to lose. My TDEE is 1800 sedentary. On non-lifting days I'm sticking with 1550, but I'm willing to eat more (I do LOVE to eat).

I FEEL THE SAME WAY!! I stick to 1500 on my non-lifting days and try and eat a little more on lifting days (like today.) I still feel SO GUILTY though...also, my lunch wasn't the healthiest lol.
  • holleysings
    Options

I gradually upped from eating only 1200 calories a day to 1800 to TDEE. I would probably pass out in the middle of lifting if I only ate 1800 calories that day...I eat 2400-3000 depending on the day. (Strangely, that's my CUT value. TDEE is 2700-3400. I have an active life but do no cardio.) I'm almost 26, 5'5" and 198lbs right now. Didn't lose any weight in Stage 1, but I did drop a pants size, gain 5lbs of muscle, and lose 5lbs of fat...so I'm all for eating! Goal weight is 175lbs IF I don't put on any more muscle lol. So look at my diary and neither of you will feel guilty for only eating 1500!