Thanksgiving

Options
I realize that Thanksgiving is not a Jewish holiday, but since its based on Jewish customs (think Sukkot), let's share some strategies to help get through the holiday.

I'm going to participate in a charity walk/run called the "Turkey Schlepp." I figure that if I get in a good work out, it will help me with some of the calories I'm sure I'll eat.

As for food, fortunately my entire family is on MFP, so we're watching everything that gets made. I'll probably eat lots of veggies and try to go easy on the carbs.

What are your plans?

Replies

• eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, my husband and I have been able to do Thanksgiving on our own for the last few years (although I realize that's the complete opposite of what the holiday is about!). But it works out better because of school and such.

Anyway, the plan for this year is only a turkey breast instead of a giant turkey, sweet potatoes baked in the oven and home-made gravy. We won't be passing on the bread, since my husband has to have bread and hummus at every meal (we're from Israel, can you tell?). Also, only a small side of stuffing for him.

We mostly just do this for fun since it's one of the few days of the year that we have off together. I wanted to join a fun run, but I just don't have the money right now. My husband has recently started running, so I thought we should do a 5K together :) I'll probably set up a route for us and we'll just do it ourselves! I know it will make me feel better and it's always more fun to have a nice meal when you feel you've earned it :)

Shavua tov!

Eddy