Burn Out

Options
I've worked in veterinary medicine since I was 15 yrs old......I'm 30 now, so that's 15 years experience. I've done NOTHING else...never worked fast food, retail, nothing.

I periodically get burn out. I'm experiencing it so bad right now that it's taking everything I have in me to not just walk out. It has more to do with work place politics, personality clashes, and apathy on the Doctor's part rather than the job......I love the job and taking care of the animals, but I just get so sick of all the bulls#$t.

How do you guys deal with feeling like you'd rather be doing ANYTHING else in the world other than working at a vet clinic?

Replies

• parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I've been a tech for 14 years. Burn out is really hard. The offhand, easy response is to say: cuddle kittens and puppies, but really, that totally doesn't cut it. :frown: I am lucky in that I now work part time in an 8 vet clinic with numerous techs, receptionists and kennel staff. Part time enables me to stay out of the politics. Except for our new practice manager - dreadful woman who knows nothing of veterinary medicine or the type of people that work in it.

You know, I really wish I had something uplifting and helpful for you. I just had to put down my 13 yr old beloved pup on Friday and my brain just can't seem to work properly. I'm sorry.
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I've been a tech for 14 years. Burn out is really hard. The offhand, easy response is to say: cuddle kittens and puppies, but really, that totally doesn't cut it. :frown: I am lucky in that I now work part time in an 8 vet clinic with numerous techs, receptionists and kennel staff. Part time enables me to stay out of the politics. Except for our new practice manager - dreadful woman who knows nothing of veterinary medicine or the type of people that work in it.

You know, I really wish I had something uplifting and helpful for you. I just had to put down my 13 yr old beloved pup on Friday and my brain just can't seem to work properly. I'm sorry.

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry about your pup :( They just don't hang around long enough.....I always like to say that their souls are too big and special to stay here very long. *hugs*

I wish I could afford to go partime. Maybe one day! Also, about the practic manager: HOW are people like that always the ones who get manager positions?!
  • parys1
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words. I miss him so much. I agree with your statement that their souls are too large and special to stay.

Regarding our PM, I think she would like to "get" it, but is incapable. Sadly, the folks who work in vet med seem to be the folks who have trouble relating to people. That makes it a bit of a challenge to manage, but I think owners would be better served having vet med people in management (if you could find them, heh).

You know, should it ever be an option for you, embrace part time. It is the best of all worlds. Perhaps something completely different (thank you MP) in your down time? Yoga? Fencing? Bowling?
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i've been a tech for over 20 years. and whenever i am feeling burn out, its always from the people not the job itself. and when i get to the point that i just want to leave the business i stop myself to think. it is exactly that, i love the work its the people that piss me of, and quite frankly and job in any line of business is going to have that, (unless you are working somewhere by yourself in the middle of nowhere , with no contact to anyone)
    and i figure if i am going to be pissed off, or annoyed doing a job, i would rather it be something i love then something i don't.

and puppy kisses help
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I get this. I experience burn out pretty often. I also work a lot. I've wondered what else I could possibly do with my life, and I come up with nothing. I really do enjoy working with the patients. I used to work overnights by myself for 4 years, caring for the hospitalized patients. That was my favorite job ever.
  • bluetigger86
    Options
    I was really feeling burnt out last week. I've been doing this for almost 8 years now, 2 of them licensed...and I've already felt it twice. The first was about 4 years ago when the day staff at the clinic I worked for kept blaming us night staffers for everything that went wrong....even though we worked our butts off every night. I left that place after 6 years and now am at a 24 hour emergency clinic as the night technician Thu-Sat. Lately we've had alot of owners that refuse to come to grips with reality. I mean the doctors have had to go as far as telling some of them that they are being inhumane and should euthanize. How often does it get to that point. Well, there have been alot this past few weeks and it's really starting to get to me. I hate seeing these poor babies suffer and know that no matter how good the care I give them is they are still suffering.
  • parys1
    Options
    I was really feeling burnt out last week. I've been doing this for almost 8 years now, 2 of them licensed...and I've already felt it twice. The first was about 4 years ago when the day staff at the clinic I worked for kept blaming us night staffers for everything that went wrong....even though we worked our butts off every night. I left that place after 6 years and now am at a 24 hour emergency clinic as the night technician Thu-Sat. Lately we've had alot of owners that refuse to come to grips with reality. I mean the doctors have had to go as far as telling some of them that they are being inhumane and should euthanize. How often does it get to that point. Well, there have been alot this past few weeks and it's really starting to get to me. I hate seeing these poor babies suffer and know that no matter how good the care I give them is they are still suffering.

Yes. That is one of the hardest situations. Sometimes we are wedged between those who don't care enough to fix the fixable and think of animals as disposable and those who just can't come to grips with the fact they are keeping their furry family around purely for themselves (even though they love them dearly).

When our job is to ease suffering, standing by helpless is so hard (particularly because our patients can't verbalize how they are feeling, and their people may think they're fine, but we are trained to read body language and judge pain.) Hopefully, this is just a spurt of similar situations and things will even out for you.
  • DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've worked as a tech for 7 years...the first 5 at a large local shelter with high euthanasia rates. I stand by our morals there to this day, but it was definitely hard. I now work for a specialty cancer practice, which is also heartbreaking. I find the easiest way to deal with the burnout is to have a circle of friends and family outside that have absolutely nothing to do with the veterinary world. They understand that I have a hard time dealing with the emotion sometimes, and help me to totally take my mind off of it. I obviously engage with my veterinary friends too, but we always end up talking (ie: complaining) about work. I make sure to take some me time on the weekends too -- sometimes I will go shopping or to see a movie by myself. It's a nice change of pace.

I would not exchange this job for any other in the world, though the thought has crossed my mind once or twice ;)
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    Slightly different view for me. Yes, the people I work with get to me. But who gets to me even more are the clients. The people who call wanting euthanasia because they're moving and can't take the pet. The parvo puppy whose people don't want to pay for treatment despite pulling up in a Hummer. The breeders who say, "How am I supposed to know when to vaccinate?" when you call to tell them you just diagnosed parvo in a puppy they just sold. Ugh.

The only way I deal with it is to talk about it. I vent at my husband after long/rough days/weeks, and thank God he has the patience to listen to me. Most of the time. Friends are very helpful, too. We have a game night every week or two and a couple of my techs, an old receptionist, and various other friends and significant others attend. We are only allowed to b!tch about work for a little bit, but usually by the time folks are tired of hearing about it we're tipsy enough to have moved on. :wink:

Meditation can also be helpful. I'm not great at the practice itself anymore (who has time to just SIT THERE???) but retaining the ability to stop, take a few deep breaths, clear my mind, and just let it all go is incredibly helpful. I hate to sound like a hippie or one of *those* people, but knowing I'm not in control is really helpful to me. I don't see the big picture, and sometimes I'm asked to do things I don't understand. As DMarieLVT mentioned, I have to stand by my morals. I refuse to euthanize anything I don't feel right about, and am completely honest about my gut feelings and opinions on my cases. It's a tough point to get to, but I've realized that in this environment you just have to learn to be satisfied with doing your best.

Now, go have a six-pack or a bottle of wine and don't think about it for at least 12 hours. Doctor's orders. :drinker:
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've been a tech for 7 years, 3 of which have been emergency. I am burned out currently! Luckily I only work part time, but I'm also a full time mother of a 10 month old. This week has been probably the worst. I work two mini shifts in the evenings on Tuesdays, and Thursday, and an overnight on Sat. For the last month every shift has been insanely busy, and for the first time in 7 years I made a horrible mistake. It was 50% my fault, and 50% the doctors. It was fixed instantly, but I stressed and worried for 48hours. That's when it hit me, that the burn out is now affecting patient care.

I need a vacation!!!!
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    We all make horrible mistakes. Unfortunate, but true. We're human. Try to learn from it without beating yourself up too badly.