Dammit!

Options
jskaggs1971
jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
I went for a run late tonight, around 8:00 PM. Just as I was at the end of first 3 minute run of the W4 workout, I found a chunk of wood on the sidewalk that I didn't see in my headlamp.

I found it by stepping on it with my right foot and rolling my ankle WAY over. Ouch. I managed to limp home and immediately started RICE, with an emphasis on the ice and some ibuprofen, but it's still swollen and tender. I hate it when stuff like this happens. Poop.

Hope everyone else's runs were better than mine today.

Replies

• a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    :( Ack, that really sucks!! Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • jskaggs1971
    Options
    Well, 48 hours on, the swelling's starting to recede, and the outside of my foot has bruises on it. Hopefully, it's a sign of healing. Range of motion is a little better. I have a couple days off from work for the holiday. I think I'm going to go give it the ol' whirlpool treatment: fill the tub with COLD water and ice, turn on the jets, and stick my foot into the jet.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    ouch!! Here's hoping you're feeling better soon!!
  • jskaggs1971
    Options
    [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/SunneofKornne/OT Biggest Loser/NortheastJefferson-20111122-00094-1.jpg[/img]
    Yeah, it's unhappy. this is after an hour in a cold whirlpool. The gashes above my ankle are a MTB injury.
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    CRAP! Sorry to hear about your injury! Make sure you listen to your body and rest that ankle so that you don't injure it more or create a longstanding problem. Don't push yourself. You can do a lot of cardio with your arms, like boxing, to keep up your stamina. Sorry again, it truly is a bummer.
  • jskaggs1971
    Options
    Thanks. It's getting there. Bruising's gone and the swelling is down, at least to where I can see my ankle bone again. It's still tight and my range of motion is a bit limited still. No running yet, but I've been back on the indoor bike and at the gym, and so far, so good. I think I'll give it another week before jogging on it, and them maybe on the dreadmill where the landing is more cushioned.

Being down sure put a huge dent in my workouts, and right over Thanksgiving, when I really NEEDED to get out there and do something.
  • jskaggs1971
    Options
    Well, today was my first run since the sprain. Feels like everything's getting better, finally. There's still some residual tightness, but everything works like it should. I hit the treadmill at my hotel (business trip), and kept my running speed SLOW, as in 11.5-12 minute miles at a 4% incline. I dialed the time back to C25K Week 4-ish levels, 3 minutes, rest, 5 minutes, rest X2.

Hooray for healing! I was getting tired of the indoor bike at the gym -- it's nice to have the option to run again, even if I'm doing it indoors for now (yuk).
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Happy to hear you're on the mend! :D