Are you Paleo Folk using the Calorie Tracker?

Options
I had been doing excellently with Paleo prior to finding this site, then the second I started using the calorie tracker and the restricted number of calories it arbitrarily decided was how much I should consume in a day, I began to gain. Even ignoring the carb element of the counter and sticking with veggies and proteins etc.

I'm not sure what I am suddenly doing, but gaining is definitely not the direction I wish to pursue. Any thoughts?

Replies

• KavemanKarg
    Options
    The defaults are based off the standard American diet plan that includes a little of everything.

I have stopped using the food journal.

If you were doing well without it you may wish to continue. If you are doing pure paleo its not about how much but what you put in your mouth.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    I used it for about 2 weeks after switching to Paleo... after I started seeing change in my health I didn't see a need to anymore.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I do use the tracker - but I recently upped my calories from what MFP suggests, because I thought 1,200 was way too low for a Primal eating style. I like tracking the macronutrient ratio, and making sure my daily carb count stays under 50.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I use it to make sure my macros for fat, protein and carbs is where I want them to be.

I ignore the calories portion because some days I am way over what it has given to me and other days I am way under (like today).

If you are sticking to fat, protein and green leafy vegetables primarily the pounds and inches will come off.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I customized my calories and macros to 2000 cals, 20% carb, 30% protein, and 50% fat. I also track sodium and potassium.

I mostly track being under 100 carbs, which makes the calories naturally fall in line between 1200-2000 a day 95% of the time. The calorie tracking does remind me not to go nuts with the whipped cream. :D

The diary has been fantastic for tracking my carbs.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I track. My problem is bingeing, and keeping a diary helps me to avoid binges and learn proper eating habits.
  • scarrier715
    scarrier715 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who have replied that is helpful to me. What I found myself doing was letting the counter and trying to keep within the guidelines steer me to too few calories. I like the idea of adjusting the calories and other things to more custom settings, will do that.
  • scarrier715
    Options
    I customized my calories and macros to 2000 cals, 20% carb, 30% protein, and 50% fat. I also track sodium and potassium.

I mostly track being under 100 carbs, which makes the calories naturally fall in line between 1200-2000 a day 95% of the time. The calorie tracking does remind me not to go nuts with the whipped cream. :D

The diary has been fantastic for tracking my carbs.

How did you customize your tracking to 20% carb, 30% protein and 50% fat - I would like to do that also.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Go to home: Goals: Change Goals: custom.
  • scarrier715
    Options
    Thanks Nanodot - appreciate the guidance.