So encouraging!

Options
My 15 yo son runs with me 3-4 days a week and we are gradually building our mileage so that we can do a half in June and full in the fall. Last night he said to me, "Mom, we're doing 6 tomorrow morning, right?" Sometimes the start of a week he likes to do less but I was so encouraged by his thoughts to start the week with 6. (Our longest distance together has been 7 mi.) I usually let him pick the route for us to run and today he chose two 3 mile out-and-backs. On our cool-down he commented how those 3 mile sections used to be long runs for us. :happy:

I'm hoping that the winter here in upstate NY doesn't slow our training down although we do have a treadmill ("dreadmill") that we can use if we absolutely have to. Country roads aren't always the safest to run on in the snow! :grumble:

Replies

• gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    thats really cool!

my 7 year old daughter has recently expressed an interest in doing a 5 mile run with me - i let her down gently that she is a long way off from running 5 miles but told her we can start to slowly build her up to be able to go with me on shorter runs, looking forward to that.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    thats really cool!

my 7 year old daughter has recently expressed an interest in doing a 5 mile run with me - i let her down gently that she is a long way off from running 5 miles but told her we can start to slowly build her up to be able to go with me on shorter runs, looking forward to that.

One of the 5Ks we do every year has about 4 or 5 very young kids that beat most of us! A couple years ago they actually added an age group - 0-9 yrs - so that those kids could get awards too. They didn't do the 1 mile fun run - too short for them!!!! And, they make it look so easy and relaxing. :ohwell: I think the younger they are the quicker they can catch up to us in their training! Glad she's so interested. Maybe she could do some interval training with you.