Phase 1 diet

Options
amysj303
amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
I wanted to see if anyone wanted to share some examples of what their daily meals look like in Phase 1. I want to keep it simple and stick to the plan, but I am not going to eat 10 egg white everyday. so maybe I am looking at protein pancakes-made with oats and egg whites. I am good with greek yogurt and protein shake (with banana). I am going to make the meatloaf and make chicken muffins to serve with whole wheat pasta and tomato sauce, like meatballs.
As far as those egg whites at night, what would be a good alternative?

Replies

• season1980
    season1980 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Im wondering the same thing.....I am getting plenty of protien and I havent eaten them yet at night. I just cant do egg whites they are gross to me so i will do a hard boiled egg or a scrambled whole egg w/2 egg whites. My calories are coming in low anyway so I figure this will give me some extra calories. Take a look at my diary for yesterday and today.
  • season1980
    Options
    Also try the homemade protien bars she has on there! I have made the pumpkin ones so far and they are amazing, esp if you put them in a ziplock baggie while they are still warm.....then they end up supermoist!!
  • amysj303
    Options
    Thanks, I am going to make the pumpkin bars. Did you do them exactly as she says?
  • season1980
    Options
    Thanks, I am going to make the pumpkin bars. Did you do them exactly as she says?

I used splenda.....couldnt find ideal at the time.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I am really not a fan of sugar substitutes, but I can try it, I guess.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would love to know also!

There is no way I can egg 10 egg white a day... Can I replace them with whey protein (shake, with almond milk or even water)? Or casein since it's more slow digesting? If I could, that would make everything easier!
  • karinefitness
    Options
    Taken from the FB group for the LiveFit trainer (Q&A with Michelle LeSueur):

Q5. I noticed people were saying they drink a casein protein smoothie at night but I was wondering if I could drink one made with whey protein at night before bed? I'm so tired of egg whites! From what I understand casein is slower digesting but the guy at GNC told me that they whey blend I got is also slow digesting because it has 3 different types of whey protein in it. Thanks for your help, I'm pretty confused on the protein powder!

A5. I like a tri protein, that is why I formulated Only Protein the way I did. I wanted the fast(Isolate), med.(concentrate), slow (casein) up take. Casein takes about 7 hrs to break down so you are feeding your muscle better. I prefer a tri over just casein, you just want to avoid sucralose and ACE-K and potassium for sweeteners. They are really bad for you.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I never thought I could eat that many egg whites either, lol. But it's not really that much. THere's a product out there called ALL WHITES. Which is sold near the eggs in the grocery store, comes in a carton like egg beaters or egg substitutes. It's 100% liquid egg whites. I will use that to make scrambled eggs every morning. It's not that hard to get the higher amounts that way. I have not started the program yet, so for now, I scramble 1/3 cup all egg whites with 1 large egg. yummy! :)

I tried the turkey muffins....I just can't stomach ground poultry. I will have to come up with something else for that. I don't know why, I am a meat eater, so it's not that, but just the thought ground poultry just makes me wretch.
  • season1980
    Options
    I never thought I could eat that many egg whites either, lol. But it's not really that much. THere's a product out there called ALL WHITES. Which is sold near the eggs in the grocery store, comes in a carton like egg beaters or egg substitutes. It's 100% liquid egg whites. I will use that to make scrambled eggs every morning. It's not that hard to get the higher amounts that way. I have not started the program yet, so for now, I scramble 1/3 cup all egg whites with 1 large egg. yummy! :)

I tried the turkey muffins....I just can't stomach ground poultry. I will have to come up with something else for that. I don't know why, I am a meat eater, so it's not that, but just the thought ground poultry just makes me wretch.

Try them with shredded chicken!
    I also like the turkey muffins better with a homemade tomato sauce that I make!
  • karinefitness
    Options

I think I'll have to buy those when I start the program!
    I keep forgetting this thing exists! :)
  • amysj303
    Options
    Taken from the FB group for the LiveFit trainer (Q&A with Michelle LeSueur):

Q5. I noticed people were saying they drink a casein protein smoothie at night but I was wondering if I could drink one made with whey protein at night before bed? I'm so tired of egg whites! From what I understand casein is slower digesting but the guy at GNC told me that they whey blend I got is also slow digesting because it has 3 different types of whey protein in it. Thanks for your help, I'm pretty confused on the protein powder!

A5. I like a tri protein, that is why I formulated Only Protein the way I did. I wanted the fast(Isolate), med.(concentrate), slow (casein) up take. Casein takes about 7 hrs to break down so you are feeding your muscle better. I prefer a tri over just casein, you just want to avoid sucralose and ACE-K and potassium for sweeteners. They are really bad for you.
    Darn, my powder has sucralose. I wonder why it is really bad for you? Mine also says it contains milk and soy beans.
  • NurseU2BeFit
    NurseU2BeFit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to use Splenda all the time until I found out it was an artificial sweetener. I did some more research and no longer use it. i switched to Stevia now. Sucralose is Splenda. It is nothing more than chlorinated sugar. It can cause chlorine poisoning if taken in large quanities. A Duke University study found evidence that doses of Splenda of between 100 and 1000 mg/kg, containing sucralose at 1.1 to 11 mg/kg (compare to the FDA Acceptable Daily Intake of 5 mg/kg), reduced the amount of good bacteria in the intestines of rats by up to 50%, increased the pH level in the intestines, contributed to increases in body weight, and affected the levels of P-glycoprotein (P-gp) in the body in such a way that crucial health-related drugs could be rejected Instead of being absorbed as intended. Medicines such as those used for chemotherapy, AIDs treatment or heart conditions could go right to the intestines instead. These effects have not been reported in humans. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18800291 Check your Protein powders for this ingredient. It is an artificial sweetener. Look for a Protein powder with a natural sweetener such as stevia.

Other resources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3wUYhJmdbA

http://www.naturalnews.com/024543_health_Splenda_weight.html#ixzz1fRjfEv8O

http://www.livestrong.com/article/436909-the-effects-of-too-much-splenda/
  • karinefitness
    Options
    I now mix 1/2 of egg whites (pasteurized, bought in a carton; should equal about 5 eggs white) with 1 scoop of protein powder (currently Myofusion Strawberries & Creme) and 1 cup of Unsweetened almond milk and it is YUMMY!

It's the easiest way for me to get those 10 egg white in on a daily basis. I have this shake in the morning and just before going to bed. And it's yummy! I also tried it with Vanilla protein powder and cocoa and it was just as good.
  • amysj303
    Options
    interesting, I had not considered drinking raw egg whites but I bought the organic pasturized ones so it would be safe, and a ton of protein.
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I buy the egg whites from Costco, Kirkland brand, I make a veggie Omelet and it's not so bad. She does have meal substitutes.
  • amysj303
    Options
    where can I find meal substitutes? I notice in the later phases there is more recipes, like it will say, breakfast is protein pancakes... but I didn't see that in phase 1.
    Last night for dinner I was good! I had pork loin chops with asparagus, broiled, and salad with sweet peppers.
    Breakfast is going to be yogurt, oatmeal and pumpkin bars for snack. I didn't bring lunch, though, so I can have the butternut squash soup in my drawer and maybe something from the cafeteria for protein.
    I put some pork chops in the crockpot with sweet potatoes so hopefully that turns out...
  • FlTGlRL
    FlTGlRL Posts: 239
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky because I've always loved egg whites so I don't mind eating them but that is a ton of eggs to buy!!!
    Just for one week you have to buy like 5-7 cartons! Than you have to find time to boil all of them.
    I've been buying the Atkins protein bars for in between snacks and they have a ton of protein in them. Also, the new slim fast 321 bottles have 10grams of protein in them I believe. So I've stocked up on those, they are a nice alternative if you don't feel like making her protein bars/food each week and eating 1000 eggs a day :laugh:
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need to buy chickens to have enough eggs. Sometimes the though of eating one more turkey muffin makes me want to vom. glad I found this group! PS if you are thinking about making the cinnamon protein bread....its dangerous lol, its hard to stop eating!