building muscle size to match other side??

Options
keola64
keola64 Posts: 207 Member
I have an old injury that up until a recent surgery caused me to not be able to work my left arm so now I'm trying to play catch up,my forearms are now the same but my biceps and shoulders are a slow work in progress. Any advice,should I occasionally work just the left arm on some days and both arms on different days? Or does that sound stupid,it the only this I can think of to have it come close to my right arm,I am kinda ambadextrious so I don't really have a physical dominant side of my body due to 25 years Muay Thai training I've trained myself to be able to use both sides quite equally...thanks for any input as you can see my left arm is smaller,lol both arms are small but that not the point . Thanx again Keola
6383690307_0253cf205f.jpg
IMAG0347-1 by keola64@rocketmail.com, on Flickr

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I have an old injury that up until a recent surgery caused me to not be able to work my left arm so now I'm trying to play catch up,my forearms are now the same but my biceps and shoulders are a slow work in progress. Any advice,should I occasionally work just the left arm on some days and both arms on different days? Or does that sound stupid,it the only this I can think of to have it come close to my right arm,I am kinda ambadextrious so I don't really have a physical dominant side of my body due to 25 years Muay Thai training I've trained myself to be able to use both sides quite equally...thanks for any input as you can see my left arm is smaller,lol both arms are small but that not the point . Thanx again Keola
    I would do concentration curls just on the left arm till it caught up with the right arm. Or train both arms but obviously overload the left bicep with more weight.
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yup that's what I've been doing,just thought if I was on the right track or should try a different approach,but being that my goal is a lean gain it is hard to see fast results,but the results are more satisfying
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    fpacudan is right bro. Personally, I will have my left arm do extra reps [3-4] then my right. Say you do dumbbell curls with 40 lbs both sides for 10-12 reps, but I will have my left take 10-15reps.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'd do the same amount of reps per set with each arm but start with your left & finish with your left giving it one extra set on every exercise per workout.

I have a similar issue but mine is just crappy genetics! Left arm is larger (but weaker) than right & I'm right handed. Makes no sense to me. I'm not doing anything about it though. Right might catch up one day?
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    with unilateral training, i actually think its better to just keep trying to match what you're doing with the stronger side...

Take my 1 arm rows for example:
    got 7 reps @ 45KG this morning with my left arm (always stronger, lol.), right arm i only 5, so i stopped for a second, maybe 5, took a deep breath, and went for another one, then repeated til i got 7.
    I'll always do this. The difference between the two is now no-where near as bad as it once was. im right handed too, played a lot of cricket in my younger years, bowling alot, throwing from deep etc, with that arm, yet it sucks. lol. If only i had the co-ordination in the left! maybe i'd have been a faster bowler!
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'd match weights and reps. I have a left shoulder injury. Before PT, my left deltoids were non existent, now after heavy lifting PT I thin they match. As I said on my profile. If I find a volunteer to make a photo of my back and delts, I'll put it on here :)