What helps?

Options
vegansara
vegansara Posts: 192 Member
I thought we could share things that have helped us with our knee pain. For example, I have chronic inflammation and two things that I have found helpful recently are a topical cream called topricin and a supplement called Meriva-SR. The supplement is a curcumin compound - like what is found in turmeric, but has been adapted to be more readily absorb-able.

Also, the old standby's of icing and riding a stationary bike - low impact - to work the inflammation out after jogging, for example.

I've also used taping before to help with my knee tracking issues. It seemed to help a bunch at first but then stopped being effective for me.

Any other tips out there?

Replies

• mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I also have knee issues (ruptured baker's cyst and arthritis). I have been on the rx- diclofenac sodium for almost a year now and it works great, but when I stop taking it extreme pain returns. I would like to stop taking it due to the side effects. Can you tell me what brand you use for the meriva-sr and what strength? Thanks again
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The brand my nutritionist sells is Thorne Research. The dosage is 500 mg 2x daily. Let me know if you try it, I'd love to hear if it helps!
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I was told today that vitamin C is excellent - 1000mg a day. Especially is there is an inflammatory component,
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Well, to update...the MRI was denied 3 times and the appeal with denied too. So I will try the PT and see how that does.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    KNEE UPDATE: I went for the first consult with Physical therapist...I really liked him he explained everything in detail!!!!!! #1-I am a Wondrous Woman so my pelvis sets me at a disadvantage with the knees as all of us females face this issue. 2-I am knocked kneed naturally which makes it even worse sooooooo my patella or knee-cap is off center...so he said all women need to STRENGTHEN THEIR GLUTEAL MUSCLES....yeah you heard me make the booty muscles STRONG!!!!!!! The gluteals control the knee not the quads...I had heard this a while ago but I thought I was doing a good job but apparently NOT! So he wants me to continue with orthotics I use for running and to get a special running shoe to use for when I work the clinics at work. He said I need my knees to go back to center. I have exercises to do at home too. As you can see I did nothing tonight...but tomorrow I have 4 exercises I have to do to make Wonder Woman's backside "Bootylicious" as Beyonce would say!!! LOL!!!!!!!
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I find the stationary bike actually seems to create more weakness for me personally, it may be because I am very short and it's hard to get the bike adjusted right for my size.

What has worked for me is to gradually increase strengthening exercises for the entire leg in conjunction with conditioning myself with walking more and more. Things like both kinds of squats, lunges, leg lifts for inner and outer thighs, calf raises etc, with lots of stretching for the whole leg too.

I have in my research found that by strengthening all the muscles in the legs you support the knee, as there's not much you can do for the knee itself. The extra stretches add flexibility and range of motion.

Although they can hurt you if your knees aren't strong enough to do them or you do them with bad posture, I find the lunges in particular seem to strengthen my knees.

Otherwise if you have a good aqua center you can take warm water exercise that is very helpful for even severe knee issues. The water takes all the pressure/weight off and helps cushion as you strengthen.

That's what's helped me. I know people who swear by their knee braces but for me I find they just make me uncomfortable moreso than help and I rarely use them.

All the leg strengthening work I've done has me going up even steep stairs now with barely a twinge.. but my knees do still "talk to me" on occasion. For me it works especially if I do the leg exercises almost every day, if I rest for more than a day or two.. (especially at a point getting on a week without working and stretching it) it gets worse over time.

Gaiam has a dvd "Strong knees" that I learned some of my exercises from.

Best wishes!