bike trainer

Options
calderst
calderst Posts: 222 Member
Hey group!

I'm a runner. I love riding my bike (outside) but it was very apparent to me during my first tri this summer that riding my bike for fun is SO different than pushing non-stop in a race. I haven't been on my bike since the weather has gotten cooler. I'm running a marathon this weekend, so the majority of my training since my summer tri has been focused on that. Once it's over, I'm planning on focusing more on the bike for a while. I know I'm going to need to hit the spin bike at the gym but I am looking into getting a trainer to use at home. I don't know much about them so any advice would be appreciated.

I know you get what you pay for but I simply can't afford the expensive ones. I've seen a few online (Amazon & D!ck's) for just under $100; anyone used one of these cheaper models? I will buy it at a bike shop if I can-- just trying to get an idea of prices.

Will using the trainer give me the resistance I need to mimic riding on the road?

Anything in particular I need to look for?

Any other tips for building up my bike chops?

Thanks!

Replies

• bbarr66
    bbarr66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I found a Cycleop fluid trainer on craigslist for $150. It works great and would recommend it to anyone. It will improve your cycling for sure. I tend to coase a bit outdoors but on a trainer you don't get that. I would look for a use fluid trainer oppose to a wind or magnetic. I have heard that cycleops and kenetic. Hope this helps.

Brian
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    There are two styles of trainer that I'm familiar with: Magnetic (or mag) and fluid.

Mag trainers are the cheapest types and mimic outdoor riding the least. They can certainly give you a good workout, but your MPH per HR on a mag trainer will make you think you're a super racer. So you can't really rely on your mileage as a guide for your cycling chops.

Fluid trainers do a better job mimicking outdoor riding. They're usually more expensive than mag trainers, though not necessarily by a whole awful lot.

Many trainers offer intensity level adjusters, to mimic hills/flats. Some, you have to get off the bike to adjust, others have a switch connected to a wire that reaches to the front of your bike. So, you can pull this gear switch thingy and automatically be "going uphill". Personally? I LOVE this feature. It breaks up the monotony of a trainer ride to be able to pull a switch and suddenly go 2 HR zones higher. If you're into hill riding, it's almost a must (in my humble opinion).

I've done spin classes but to be blunt, I much prefer trainer riding, as I do it on my own bike. Yes trainering is still quite different than road riding. But it still has a truer "outdoor" feel than spinning, since you're actually on your own bike. Maybe you can find a place that allows trainers? There's a local tri shop near me that does computrainer classes almost every day. They've got a computrainer studio set up with 15 trainers.

Performance Bike Shop has a wide selection of trainers, at affordable prices, if you're into online shopping. My personal recommendation is find an adjustable intensity fluid trainer. Whatever you go with, I hope you enjoy it.

I hope this helps.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest looking used rather than going with a cheaper/no name trainer.

I've got a mag trainer that I've had for about 5 years, use it regularly during the winters and have been very happy with. As said before, it doesn't replicate real riding very well, so don't expect to get off it in the spring and be race-ready. But it does a great job keeping you in shape, and if you push yourself it's an effective way to increase endurance (both muscular and cardiovascular).
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I also have the magnetic type (TACX brand) and I`ve had it for almost 10 years without any issues. Mine has the adjuster and the way it`s setup now it`s pretty close to the resistance I experience outdoors based on my HR and speed.

Like someone said, look for something better that`s used than getting something new that`s cheap.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    USED! They're so easy to find! We got a used mag trainer for $29 (had it for 3 years) and a used fluid trainer for $50 (we've had it for 2 years and love it). They've both been great pieces of equipment. Our brand spanking new mag trainer? It makes a great bike stand, but not much of a trainer.

Yes. Used.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Using rollers will help you improve your cycling as it forces you to keep pedaling or you'll fall over!
  • 5Goodyz
    5Goodyz Posts: 10
    Options
    Trijoe and Jacksonpt are right on, you can find a USED trainer (I have a cycleops wind trainer - noisy) on craigslist as well. Look around. Additionally continue to attend spin classes - they work you out differently which also helps. BUt get out on the road is always the best.
    Look into a couple of additional products as well. Shoes - if you dont have cycling shoes with clips look into them. It will save your legs for the run. You are able to pull up while you are spinning and use your quads in addition to your hammys. Also - aerobars. You canfind these relatively cheap. Practice with these as you change your position on the bike. The aero position will help you go faster and save energy for the run. I got mine for $35 from Performance Cycling.
    Its a grat sport and fun time but can get pricey the more you get into it. Start out small and build up the more you start to like it.
    Finally - do your best. I suck at the swim so when I get on the bike I find the next person in front of me and chase them down and then the next, etc.
    HAVE FUN.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Using rollers will help you improve your cycling as it forces you to keep pedaling or you'll fall over!

X2. Much better than those other trainers. Picked up a set this year and love them. They do take a bit to get used to, but I love them now. Check CL or last years models at some of your local bike shops.