sweeteners

Options
I think I mentioned before that I'm faily new to this clean eating thing.....what do you all use for sweeteners? I've been using honey and maple syrup when possible but sometimes you need something at least somewhat resembling sugar. I saw on the "non-clean eaters" board that someone mentioned raw-sugar (which I love) but there's so much "sugar is bad..." stuff out there that I was under the impression that stivia or something like that was better. Thoughts?

Replies

• flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've been reading Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno and she has Agave Nector as one of the sweetener to use. She also has bee pollent and sugar free applesauce. The Agave Nector is really good and sweet, so use sparingly.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    I've been reading Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno and she has Agave Nector as one of the sweetener to use. She also has bee pollent and sugar free applesauce. The Agave Nector is really good and sweet, so use sparingly.

I must be crazy I don't find agave sweet at all. I don't like it.
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    In the latest clean eating magazine (winter) there's a good article on Sucanat. It's a less processed sweetner-- I quite like it in replace of sugar when baking. I keep my baking to a treat though!

Maple syrup is excellent as well as honey. They both are low GI which means they take a longer time to process in the body than sugar or corn syrup... Don't bother with organic...it's aload of bunk...I mean honestly are you going to control where the bee's get their honey or are you going to spray a giant sugar bush! Just go for local if you can.

LB
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    LB I'm totally with you as far as not worrying about organic as far as sugar/honey goes....would sucanat be a good alternative in coffee as well?

flea and garlicgirl I have recently heard a lot of research that agave is not as "clean" as we like to believe. I have not done ANY research on it, so I truly am speaking just off of word on the street but what do you think of that? Aside from it being part of the Eat Clean Diet, why do you chose Agave?

Thank you all for your input :)
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    I like the taste of agave, so I use that alot for liquid sugar. We also have a friend who makes maple syrup and usually gives us a couple jars, so I'll use that as well. I've been using sucanut if I need granulated sugar, which is not very often because I also don't bake much. I would really like to try Stevia, but when I've seen it at the health food store, it has seemed a bit expensive, which I don't mind in general, but I don't know if I'll like it and I don't want to spend the money and find out I can't stand it.
  • skinnypigeon
    skinnypigeon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My ultimate sugar replacement is coconut sugar. It is unrefined and TASTY. It has the same amount of calories as regular sugar, so don't let that fool you. But its much better for you.

I wrote a little about it here: http://stylethatfood.com/?p=354

I also like to use honey, maple syrup, agave, and liquid stevia (mixed with a little natural sweetener would make a great sweet tea)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Sugar is one of those things that I've decided not to try to replace, just to limit the amount of it I add.

I'm not convinced that a processed substitute is going to be any better for me than processed sugar cane (ie regular sugar).
    I've never liked sugar in my coffee and I've stopped using it in porridge (oatmeal), I add fresh fruit instead.
    I don't tend to bake cakes or cookies etc, but if I do it will be so occasional, that I'd rather have the real thing.

I suggest looking at where you actually use sugar and see whether you REALLY need it, or whether you just need to get used to doing without it, or whether you can replace it with something unprocessed that is naturally sweet (like fresh fruit).
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I use organic agave nectar all the time. It dissolves in cold liquids better than honey. I mix it with unfiltered apple cider vinegar and orange juice in the AM as a healthy start to my day. My two boys (one is picky) love drinking it too! My experience is that it is plenty sweet ( I can only use a tiny bit in my drink) but everyone's tastes are different. Try a bottle and see how you like it!
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Also I read that agave is low on the glycemic index which is good for keeping blood sugar level. I think it is suggested for those who have diabetes.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the top on coconut sugar,young to check
    into it.
    I have never been big on Any kind of sugar,however,I Baked
    Alot for family and friends,& an still searching on something
    Other than dates.
    My choice now is Stevia,as it is all natural. 0 CALS& O G.I.
    I 'VE only used the drops.
    I read somewhere that m.s.g. wash produced naturally,
    In the making of agave.
    That did it for me.
  • babynew
    Options
    WOWwwww,Jimmychoo,,,a few jarrs of home made
    Maple Syrup,Doesn't get much better than that.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Currently, when I absolutely have to use some form of solid sweetener (like in baking), I go for raw sugar. Otherwise, I stick with honey. I also use blackstrap molasses in my oatmeal, as it's a good source of iron.

There are alternatives like Stevia, but every one I've tried has made me ill, so I avoid them like the plague.
  • lisabstrong
    lisabstrong Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    LB I'm totally with you as far as not worrying about organic as far as sugar/honey goes....would sucanat be a good alternative in coffee as well?

flea and garlicgirl I have recently heard a lot of research that agave is not as "clean" as we like to believe. I have not done ANY research on it, so I truly am speaking just off of word on the street but what do you think of that? Aside from it being part of the Eat Clean Diet, why do you chose Agave?

I guess you'd have to try it to see if you like it. I don't use sweeteners in my coffee. In fact my aim is to reduce the amounts of sweet things in my diet so that i don't crave them at all. I find my tastebuds have changed so that I enjoy the taste of foods more without the need for sweetners...
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

I guess you'd have to try it to see if you like it. I don't use sweeteners in my coffee. In fact my aim is to reduce the amounts of sweet things in my diet so that i don't crave them at all. I find my tastebuds have changed so that I enjoy the taste of foods more without the need for sweetners...

Yeah, I rarely put sugar in my coffee but sometimes I just "need' it. It's probably a good idea just to cut back...I'm going to have to look into coconut sugar as well
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Hey Ms skinny-pigeon where do you buy the coconut sugar?

I have tried almost all the sweetner alternatives and I just don't like most of them...the only one I like is Stevia and trust me I have tried almost every brand of Stevia and most I don't like either...too many additives etc. Teh only Stevia I like is directly from Bolivia. I have friends from there and they have used in that country for centuries. Taste soooooo much better then the ones we have here in US. I used to get a comprable on by KAL but I do believe they changed their formula becasue it tastes awful now.

I don't like xylitol, sucanant, agave or raw sugar. I guess all depends on the palate.
  • Beverly1070
    Beverly1070 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    LB: That is great. Trying to just avoid sugar to rid myself of cravings would be my ultimate goal. All the veggies, proteins, grains, and fresh fruit is easy, but the sugar... not so easy. I have such a sweet tooth, but by making gradual changes, I'm seeing progress.

BG
  • babynew
    Options
    Garlic girl,I got mine from our local food CO-OP.
    Liquid brand. ..SWEET LEAF STEVIA CLEAR...says
    From Arizona
    Wisdom Natural Brands. ....800-899-9908

Sweetleaf.com
    I like it a lot...in my tea,and green smoothies
    GOOD LUCK
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I use raw sugar. The good thing about it is a little bit goes a long way. I put two teaspoons in my coffee in the morning and refill my coffee before I'm completely empty and never have to put more sugar in it.
  • Shredded2011
    Options
    sucralose
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I finally purchased and tried agave and really like it. I was afraid to try it for a long time and then there is the sticker shock of the price. EEK! I'll use regular sugar and brown sugar but I highly limit the use. I don't bake often partly because well I don't need that stuff in my house but also to preserve propane, cost is high on the tank so try to limit its use to only the water heater.

I saw coconut sugar and wondered about it. I may have to try it in some baking.