biggest regret?

Options

Replies

• JCulp19
    Options
    letting my ex go. we dated for three years she was and still is the love of my lfie. We didnt talk for about a year and she is now one of my best friends but those old feelings will never go away but i guess its better to have her in my life than not at all
  • JCulp19
    Options
    letting my ex go. we dated for three years she was and still is the love of my lfie. We didnt talk for about a year and she is now one of my best friends but those old feelings will never go away but i guess its better to have her in my life than not at all
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options

I'm not friends with any of my serious exes, I don't think I could be. It seems impossible being friends with someone I once loved (especially if I wasn't out of love with them). Idk how you do it.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

I'm not friends with any of my serious exes, I don't think I could be. It seems impossible being friends with someone I once loved (especially if I wasn't out of love with them). Idk how you do it.

exactly. i went through a nightmare of a 'friendship' with my first love for 4 years after we broke up. the end result? us going from loving to hating each other within that time period, and...now we've been back together for almost 2 years :laugh:
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Online dating is worth a shot! And you never know - you might meet someone terrific right here :-)
  • Rainbow_Brite86
    Options
    Should have realized my ex was a douche bag, and should have left asap afterwards.
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    Not getting help sooner. I shouldn't have been so stubborn. Maybe if I had gone to my school counsellor at 14 like my mother had begged me to I wouldn't have ended up with anorexia, depression & anxiety personality disorder.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    being the closest i ever came to falling in love with my ex girlfriend, and letting her walk all over me for years. never have i let a man treat me like that, why should i let a woman?
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Not always being myself for fear that someone might not like it. Eh that still happens sometimes. But it's getting better!
  • sarablueskies
    sarablueskies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    not coming out in the open sooner..i think my life would be very different

ditto for me, i wish i had come out in college, my life would have been so different! don't get me wrong, it probably happened just the way it should have, but i got such a late start i feel like i missed out on a lot. and maybe i regret not fighting for that one girl...i will never stop thinking about her.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I wasn't as tolerant and understanding as I am now. I was never a homophobe by any stretch of the imagination. I just was.. "typical" for a young man at the time. I'd use words that were hurtful without thinking about them. I hadn't been exposed to any openly gay people.

A theater education can sure open your eyes. It's why I support people coming out so much. Gay people being open about who they are allows others to come to a better understanding of them. Anyone who can meet a wonderful person like my hombro Mark and still hate gays.. well there's just something wrong with them in my eyes.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    that how I look at things, everything happens for a reason. :)
    Indeed that's my philosophy too.

Regrets, I have a few, but then again too few to mention.... as Mr Anka wrote for Mr Sinatra :wink:

...I wish I'd gone to live in Sweden for a while

...I wish I'd stayed in the Netherlands and not jumped ship for the first bloke who wooed me

...I wish I'd visited my parents more often when my mum was still alive

...I wish I'd met my husband sooner

...I wish I'd taken the time and effort to lose weight in my early 30s rather than wait till I was almost 50 to do something about it

:glasses: :ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I wasn't as tolerant and understanding as I am now. I was never a homophobe by any stretch of the imagination. I just was.. "typical" for a young man at the time. I'd use words that were hurtful without thinking about them. I hadn't been exposed to any openly gay people.

A theater education can sure open your eyes. It's why I support people coming out so much. Gay people being open about who they are allows others to come to a better understanding of them. Anyone who can meet a wonderful person like my hombro Mark and still hate gays.. well there's just something wrong with them in my eyes.

hombro! i love it! lol. I know what you mean, my best friend is my hombro too, and he is the most generous, sweet, big hearted person in the world. I'm glad you saw the light :)
  • KeeleySue
    Options
    Hmmm, this is hard to put into words.

I would never take back/regret meeting my husband but I do wish that it had happened later than it did. I was 18 when we met and we've been together ever since. I wish I had had the chance to explore a relationship with a woman.

I still think about it a lot and my husband is open to me having a female relationship, but I'm just not sure I could do it to him. He understands my feelings (poly wise) and knows I'm bi. And he's even told me that it wouldn't bother him, I just don't know that I could do it.

And hell, even if I could, I doubt I could ever find someone who would be open to a relationship with a married woman, let alone around here in the Midwest.
  • lulukan
    lulukan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, this is hard to put into words.

I would never take back/regret meeting my husband but I do wish that it had happened later than it did. I was 18 when we met and we've been together ever since. I wish I had had the chance to explore a relationship with a woman.

I still think about it a lot and my husband is open to me having a female relationship, but I'm just not sure I could do it to him. He understands my feelings (poly wise) and knows I'm bi. And he's even told me that it wouldn't bother him, I just don't know that I could do it.

And hell, even if I could, I doubt I could ever find someone who would be open to a relationship with a married woman, let alone around here in the Midwest.

You never know!!!There are people out there who are open to awesome opprotunities like that. I know I would be! ;-) My first relationship with a woman happened when I was in a committed relationship with a man (he knew about it and said he was okay) and she was married with 2 kids (her hubby was fine with it too). ( I live in the Bible Belt- sooo.. Ya never know)
  • Emme727
    Emme727 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I regret that I did not stay true to myself. I was in my early 20s when I attempted to come out to my mother. She was appalled, and I was yearning for her approval. I went back into the closet -- for about 15 years. It was not long after that that she was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer (Type IV). After she was diagnosed and made it clear that she wanted to see all of her children married with children before she died, I complied and married, had children and tried to force myself to live this lie.

She fought the cancer for 5 years (but had been given 4 months to live). After she died, I continued to try to make the marriage work. It couldn't.

I regret that I had not come out and shown my mother who I truly am. I think there would have been much less pain had I been strong enough to be myself. (I do NOT regret having my children, btw).

EDIT to clarify: it was not long after I tried to come out that she was dx with cancer.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Letting my peers around control my life and myself believeing them when I was a teen. Also I was a cutter I regret cutting myself back then because of the scars are still on my left arm I hide it and I tend to shy away when someone grabs me. But it is a good conversation starter when I drive people. I'm honest and I tell them the truth and I also tell them I dont think like that or do it anymore. Lol its strange how many people also went through that stage of life.
  • dragonflybird
    Options
    I'm not sure if I have any "regrets," but I do wish I started my PhD right after I did my Masters rather than taking two years off. I could be half way through my PhD now. :(
  • Banrion
    Banrion Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Mine: not telling the first woman I fell in love with that I loved her. It still bothers me, to this day, that I had such a strong and real emotion that I never expressed.

Same we broke up a year ago, I never told her and I probably never will. I saw her the other day and she was fine, dating somebody new and carried on the conversation like we had never been more than friends. I gave the performance of life, but found myself 10min later locked in the bathroom in the studio crying. I guess you can hate, want and love somebody at the same time...
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Not recognizing my attraction to females sooner. I was very naive about it just assumed since most women found other women attractive it was normal in addition to growing up around guys, thought I just picked up on their habits. Once I realized it was more than a innocent attraction I felt like I missed out on what I now realize were crushes and it took longer to grow into who I am as a person. I feel I didn't get know myself fully until I found out this quite important fact about myself.