One day at a time...

prettypooks
prettypooks Posts: 133 Member
So, we have all identified the reasons we have for emotional eating. I was wondering what you'll do today to keep yourself from turning to food when those emotions hit.

Yesterday, I drank herbal tea every time I had the urge to eat. Honestly... I drank nearly 3L of herbal tea. I was pee-ing every 5 minutes. It worked though! I'm going to try that again today.

How about you?

Replies

• wifeyy
    wifeyy Posts: 487 Member
    Good idea! i might try the herbal tea as well
  • mary34reilly
    mary34reilly Posts: 59 Member
    Repeating over and over " nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". Also, I have two pictures of myself in my living room... one is me running a half marathon last October when I was 35 lbs lighter than I am right now and the other is from many years ago when I was almost 100lbs lighter. The pictures are in a wall unit with a mirrored back so I see those pictures and me as I am today. Everytime I walk past the half marathon picture, I tell the girl in that picture that I am coming after her and after I catch her, I am chasing the girl in the other picture. It seems to be very motivating to see me as I am now and where I want to go.

I think that's totally awesome!! Great stategy!! And it's true...nothing tastes as good as healthy feels, or how a new wardrobe feels, or how those compliments from all your friends, family and coworkers feel. I have a pic of me on my fridge where I was thinner. The girl in that pic says to me "Hey you....get your face out of this room, and go to the treadmill!" :)
  • mary34reilly
    mary34reilly Posts: 59 Member
    Repeating over and over " nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". Also, I have two pictures of myself in my living room... one is me running a half marathon last October when I was 35 lbs lighter than I am right now and the other is from many years ago when I was almost 100lbs lighter. The pictures are in a wall unit with a mirrored back so I see those pictures and me as I am today. Everytime I walk past the half marathon picture, I tell the girl in that picture that I am coming after her and after I catch her, I am chasing the girl in the other picture. It seems to be very motivating to see me as I am now and where I want to go.

I think that's totally awesome!! Great stategy!! And it's true...nothing tastes as good as healthy feels, or how a new wardrobe feels, or how those compliments from all your friends, family and coworkers feel. I have a pic of me on my fridge where I was thinner. The girl in that pic says to me "Hey you....get your face out of this room, and go to the treadmill!" :)
  • moremari
    moremari Posts: 119 Member
    I meditate when I can. Trouble is sometimes I am in such a rut that I forget. The tea is key during the afternoon. Again I don't always remember. Going to make tea right now!
  • papaye8
    papaye8 Posts: 20 Member
    I wrote on my fridge: "Are you really hungry or just bored?!?"
    It has little to to with emotional eating per se but it still works, so I'll evaluate the reason of reaching for that door or turn around and pick up an fruit instead :)
  • wendyannvantiem
    wendyannvantiem Posts: 188 Member
    One of the reasons I over eat are parties with food. I have another Thanksgiving party to go to today. I'm kind of tired of all the Thanksgiving food. I'm only going up for one plate, only small portions (no heaping spoonfuls), and one desert choice! Well hopefully I do well and control myself.
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    My kids are helping. The triplets are driving me nuts this week following me around. Is Mummy allowed that food? Its quite cute and they have caught me out a couple of times and probably saved me about 600cals in total!
  • mell_m_m
    mell_m_m Posts: 17 Member
    So, we have all identified the reasons we have for emotional eating. I was wondering what you'll do today to keep yourself from turning to food when those emotions hit.

Yesterday, I drank herbal tea every time I had the urge to eat. Honestly... I drank nearly 3L of herbal tea. I was pee-ing every 5 minutes. It worked though! I'm going to try that again today.

How about you?
    I drink green tea, white tea, oolong and pu'erh tea and of course black tea. What's nice is they can be flavoured like coconut cream, Carmel, got chocolate, strawberry lime. You can make them hot or iced. If you go on line you can see the benefits of these teas from lowering cholesterol, to taking cravings away etc. Give them a try. Th
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 160 Member
    AVOID ANY WHEAT WHATSOEVER, and see that CRAVINGS will be gone... Be careful not to have it in other foods e.g. sausages, ready meals, etc.

I find that a breakfast cereal has WHEAT in it. Also in BRAN Flakes, there is wheat !! It is everywhere !

It is an appetite stimulant. i have seen it also on oven CHIPS ! Why is wheat on oven chips??
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Get outside into the sunshine and go for a walk, or just go for a walk. Stimulates the serotonin in our brains to help us to feel better AND gets us away from the fridge.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Tea,water, walking ,exercises,reading,my photos and a message on the fridge. Thanks everyone for the tips. x 🌺
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Malimalai wrote: »
    Tea,water, walking ,exercises,reading,my photos and a message on the fridge. Thanks everyone for the tips. x 🌺

I changed my diet from high carbs to low carbs. I have to be mindful not to eat when I'm bored. It's easy because I'm not hungry or have cravings on my new diet. x
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Honestly, I clear my mind and try to meditate past an urge/craving. I am doing my best to plan meals in advance, so I try my best not go over that. But, sometimes a banana, lemon water, warm tea, or a piece of dark chocolate settles a sweet tooth for me.

Also, I have been treating my cravings kinda like nicotine cravings when I quit smoking. I kept myself distracted. As long as they were not true hunger pains, I do my best to stay with my plan.