So, how do you KNOW?

Options
jarrettd
jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
Menopause seems pretty easy to figure out. You stop having periods. Got it.

But what about perimenopause? You just put checkmarks on a list of symptoms, and if there are enough, you can be reasonably sure you're on your way to the change? Can't some of those symptoms have other causes?

I'm only asking because I want to talk to my doctor, but at 44 years old, I'm not sure if the time is right, just yet. My mom went thru menopause early, at 41, so I guess my body-clock could be winding down. Despite still having my period right on time each month, my symptoms would suggest so. (Dry skin, hair, and nails; emotional outbursts for no reason; symptoms of depression and anxiety; internal thermostat acting all wonky; and much more.)

I want to do something about the way I'm feeling and acting, before there are more negative impacts on my life. But I don't want to go to the doc just to hear "You're too young for it to be perimenopause; it's all in your head. Come back in 10 years."

Any insights or advice would be appreciated. Mom's been gone for several years (lung cancer) and mom-in-law "doesn't talk about those kinds of things," so I really have no one else to ask. Thanks!!

Replies

• BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that if you feel that you are in perimenopause what does it really matter what the dr says. (This is from someone whose learned to be educated enough to not take a dr's brush off if I need more from him/her.) You know your body better than anyone and you know your history. I'd say that if you are starting to feel like you're there, check out some of the posts on this group to see what others have done. I started using progesterone cream to help my symtoms around that time. Now I've added Promensil because I'm smack dab in the middle of menopause at 51.

This is a great place to get support!
  • sweatymary
    Options
    The age that your Mum/Grandmother/Aunties etc started their menopause will give you a good indication as to when you will start yours. If your Mum was 41 then it is likely that you will have started your perimenopause looking at the symptoms you have mentioned.

Most doctors are unsympathetic and seem to lack a lot of knowledge on the subject. Don't be brushed off, a simple fasting blood test will reveal whether perimenopause or menopause has begun, so insist on having one done.

A healthy balanced diet and plenty of exercise will help in the meantime. The exercise in particular will help with your depression and anxiety, then its a case of trying the suggestions by others going through peri and full menopause until you find a combination that helps you :-D Promensil comes up very often as being a good help, but we're all different and its a case of experimentation :-D xxx
  • bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Firstly, let me give you a big high 5 for quitting smoking. I, too, made the intelligent choice in March of this year to quit that nasty habit. I didn't gain much...about 5 lbs but was already 5 lbs over my personal goal so I have been working at the weight now that I feel more confident in my poison quit!!! lol,.

So back to the subject, if you body temperature is wonky, you ARE in perimenopause and all I can advise (from my personal experience) is take extra calcium (helps the soreness of the boobs) and exercise which does seem to help the intensity of the sweats. Vitamin B will surely help the depression and anxiety and moodiness. Otherwise, we just have to look at getting through it to the other side. I do believe that I was in perimeno for about 5 years or so and now being postmeno for nearly 10 years (no period), I still have warm (not hot like before) moments especially at night. Doctors (unless you have a female doctor of meno age) are unsympathetic.....(men....lol)! I went through the whole process without any prescriptions, just trying some vitamins and supplements, and always, always, wearing layers of clothes (down to a t-top so that I could remove clothing as need. Eventually I came out the other side! It definitely does get frustrating but just tell people to forgive you as you are just having a hot flash........they do somewhat understand!!

I so remember going on a vacation with BFF in Mexico and between the two of us, we were flashing constantly! Seems hot weather causes more hot flashes...........so..........we went and bought pretty chinese fans and used them everywhere. I am sure people thought we were really hoty toty women....ha, ha!

Oh, and alcohol and caffeine are more triggers to cause hot flashes. Just know that and use that information wisely!!

If you have any other questions, please ask, I am an open book!

Donna
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Nice to know I'm not alone!:smile:
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Your Dr can run test on your hormones that will tell the levels and where you are. I had mine do them because I had a hysterectomy about 3 years ago, but kept my ovaries, so didn't have a clue other than the symptoms.