Symptoms.

Options
charm_quark
charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
So, I wanna ask you, cause I haven't discuss it with my doctors. What symptoms did you have? Except the weight gain!!!

I was first diagnosed accidentally by a gastroenterologist who did an ultrasound cause I had abdominal pains for a few months and none could find what the problem is, and saw a node of 1cm on my thyroid.
After I had lab exams that showed the increased TSH and anti-Tg's.

While I did some reading about Hashimoto disease, I found out that there are symptoms that I didn't know it was from Hashimoto.

First of all, in ALL MY LIFE, I can't really remember me to be comfortable in the winter. I was always VERY VERY cold. I need to wear at least two pair of socks so I can sleep at nights.

Also I had... a lower libido, the last 2 years which was driving me crazy, cause I couldn't understand what have happened to me! Once I talked to my doctor and said that this was my relationship's problem, not a hormone one! But nobody listened to me!!! I have/had a perfect relationship! I LOVE my partner. The problem is with my body! Neither in my head nor my fantasy.

I have some medical issues with my wrist for the last years, such as very power pains like my wrist was broken. Doctors told me that I had Carpal tunnel syndrome, but after taking medication for Hashimoto, my wrist is just perfect!

My partner and some friends have noticed that there are days that I have swellings specially in my face.

Four years ago (I'm 2.5 years diagnosed) I had increased heart rate (about 110 or more pulses per minute). I went 2 or 3 times to the hospital, cause I couldn't even walk, and felt very dizzy. They send me away, telling me that I was over-stressed. Then I went to a cardiologist, have a thing, that monitored my heart for 1 day.but he said also I was ok. For the record I have to say that I wasn't stressed!!!!
So... that's about me. Now that I'm diagnosed I know what happened. But I'm still very frustated with some doctors that didn't believed me or just wrote a prescription for me with anti-stress medication, which I never took! LOL!!!
:PPPP

Replies

• latinahada
    Options
    The 1st thing that happened when I KNEW something was wrong was when I started having heart palpitations. Granted, I was experiencing fatigue but thought that was due to having a baby at home, as well as a 5 y.o. at the time, working full time, taking call with my job, and my husband working out of state. I also was having what I like to refer to as "scatter brain." I was having trouble remembering things, often important stuff...My mind was "foggy, " which I blamed these things on stress. Anyway, I went to the Dr. the day my palpitations started, BP was high & that night (before we had lab results) I started throwing up and literally felt like I was going to die...I also was having a difficult time losing the baby weight. That about sums up my symptoms and awful experience :)
  • seattlern
    Options
    Gosh, I have so many symptoms, it's hard to make a comprehensive list, but here are the ones that have been most troublesome lately (my TSH is currently elevated again at 4.88 so I'm going through a dose adjustment and struggling with these symptoms):
    Mood Swings
    NO sex drive
    irregular periods
    worsening PMS
    slowed weight loss inspite of sticking to a 1200cal high protein, very low carb diet with very intense exercise regime
    sleep disturbance (both insominia and falling asleep during the day)
    fatigue
    freezing! especially my feet at night. I wrap a terry cloth robe around my feet before I crawl in bed under a pile of comforters
    fuzzy thinking and poor memory
    anxiety
    acne (currently on my scalp which is driving me bat **** crazy)
    dry skin
    very dry hair
    hair loss (except for the wonderful additon of stray eyelashes growing out of my chin)
    palpitations and chest pain with exertion
    contstipation

Ok, that's probably most of it but I'm sure I forgot something. Most people would look at that list and think I'm nuts.
    Thankfully my doctor listens and seems to get it.
  • regthelittleone
    Options
    WOW !! Those are the exact symptoms I have. But doctors say it not Thyroid related ( due to blood result). When I was pregnant with my last baby I was dignosed with a thyroid problem ( so does it just go away? Errrr. It's sooo frustrating) Because I have all these weird symptoms and no one can tell me why!!! I feel like they think I'm crazy. my symptoms are: irregular periods, extremely heavy & long periods, cold hands& feet, palpitations, low sex drive( drives hubby crazy), can't think clearly, dizzy, lightheaded, hair loss ( not clumps yet) difficulty losing weight, brittle nails, dry skin, muscle twitches, vomiting, nausea, and the list goes on. Thanks for letting me vent!! Hoping to find a answer so I can feel normal again!!!
  • deb968
    deb968 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    rbosley- I hate to say this but I went years of the doctor telling me that my blood work was fine even though I had a mass on my thyroid. After going to the Gyno they did further testing and found out that I had cancer. I do not want to scare you but get a second opinion now!!!
  • LosingWeight2012
    LosingWeight2012 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Palpittionss and tired. Wt gain
  • regthelittleone
    Options
    deb968~ I'm soooo glad your better!!!! :) If you don't mind me asking, how did they find your mass? I'm having a scope done in Feb.
    P.S. I grew up in Wellsville OH ~pretty close to you : ). Thanks for the advice!!!
  • seattlern
    Options
    WOW !! Those are the exact symptoms I have. But doctors say it not Thyroid related ( due to blood result). When I was pregnant with my last baby I was dignosed with a thyroid problem ( so does it just go away? Errrr. It's sooo frustrating) Because I have all these weird symptoms and no one can tell me why!!! I feel like they think I'm crazy. my symptoms are: irregular periods, extremely heavy & long periods, cold hands& feet, palpitations, low sex drive( drives hubby crazy), can't think clearly, dizzy, lightheaded, hair loss ( not clumps yet) difficulty losing weight, brittle nails, dry skin, muscle twitches, vomiting, nausea, and the list goes on. Thanks for letting me vent!! Hoping to find a answer so I can feel normal again!!!

The first time I had problems was when I was pregnant as well and it did "go away" but I continued to have symptoms. The problem is that many of those symptoms are related to hormone imbalance in general, so it can be hard to nail down the exact issue during your child bearing years. Hope they can get you back in balance soon!
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The biggest difficulty and why I put off going to the doctor's for so long is that everything could be attributed to stress (I had just moved across the country, started a highly competitive MFA program, had serious roommate difficulties, financial troubles when serious maintenance problems arose in my first apartment). But, my nails became brittle, I was unable to get up unless I had at least 9 to 10 hours of sleep (normally I need 6-8), my hair started falling out, I gained weight so quickly it hurt, I felt unable to focus or concentrate, I had NO energy (whereas I used to run half marathons, I could barely walk to class), my appetite was insane and my cycle changed a lot.
  • efarrar13
    Options
    Well....I am not sure what goes where as far as symptoms. My whole endocrine system is shutting down. They thought I had MS for a long time as my mother had it. I saw 4 different neuro's and finally I decided to see a woman D.O. She found that I had rickets level vitamin D and so went my path to the thyroid etc. I had bone/joint aches. Cold feet and hands sometimes even in summer (I used to be the guy wearing shorts in January.) Fatigue, weight gain, inflammation/water rentention, sleep apnea. Worse then all the pain and fatigue was I felt like I was hollow or disappearing. My whole like I have had severe migraines. There are pictures of me as a kid hiding under a buffet table because it was dark and quiet. Since being on Synthroid not a single migraine. Not sure the connection but I am not going to complain. Also being on the "Barry Bonds Clear" I feel awesome and like a person again. Wish I knew why everything was shutting down but have several autoimmune issues in my family incliding my mom's MS....so who knows. Just glad I am feeling better.
  • tannity2
    tannity2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP the other day and am so glad I found this group. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about a year ago. Fatigue, brain fog, heart palpitations, panic attacks. My cortisol levels were through the roof. I'm taking Armour - 1/4 grain/day (any more that that makes me way too shaky). I seem to fluctuate between being hyper and hypo, but lately I've been pretty even-keel. Gluten-free, dairy-free helps, too.

Thanks for this group!
  • christinajohnson
    christinajohnson Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard about the gluten-free as helping with the weight loss. I had only heard of avoiding soy, milk and iron within four hours of taking medication.
  • Ruzuki
    Ruzuki Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didnt know all of this was symptoms... I have alot of these too. I was diagnosed about 4 or so months ago, and they are still adjusting my medicine, since they insist on only increasing it by like 25mcg at a time... At the last test I had I was still at like 14.
    Its nice to know I dont actually have heart problems, and Im not crazy at noticing all of this. Im glad they found out reletively early that I had this disease too, they never would have found it if I hadnt insisted they find out why my periods were STILL irregular at 21 years old... From the list of sympoms here, I think I must have had this disease for at least 11 years... Cause the insomnia began at 7... the weight gain began at 9 and chest pain... heart irregularity began around 13... As for the cold, I grew up in wisconsin so I thought I was just a bit sensitive, but then I moved to Cali and noticed that i was still cold ALL THE TIME! (Except for when I suddenly develop heat exhaustion, something that happens alot... another symptom?) I thought it was just bad circulation, but I guess not since so many other people have this...
    Stupid doctors.
  • tannity2
    tannity2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard about the gluten-free as helping with the weight loss. I had only heard of avoiding soy, milk and iron within four hours of taking medication.

I just discovered from someone in the gluten-free group that celiac disease (allergic to gluten) causes leaky gut syndrome, which allows food molecules to leak from the intestines, and the body attacks them, causing food allergies. (Perhaps my body just attacks everything now, including my thyroid?) Being gluten-free helps me with inflammation, brain fog, heart palpitations, IBS, stomach cramps, etc., not necessarily weight loss -- but it has helped a little bit in that area, too. It seems logical that being gluten-free would apply only to those of us who are allergic.

I have lots to learn and am so glad to be here.
  • shanna8194
    Options
    Hey! I'm Shanna! I just went to the doctor a few weeks ago and got some blood-work done. They called back and said that my thyroid was definitely low, and I would have to schedule some tests. So this is all new to me! Also, I thought I was a little young to have this as a problem? 19! lol, but some of my symptoms are just things like y'all have already mentioned. I used to be TINY, and now it's like I just gained all this weight right around my tummy. I mean, I gained weight other places too, but mainly around my hips. I have knot-like things on my neck, not really all that visible unless you know to look for it, but you can really feel it. Sometimes it's a little difficult to swallow. That's a major concern to me, after looking up goiters on google. I am always cold, last night I had 2 comforters and a blanket to sleep with, and that's weird considering we have good heat in our house. I eat ALLLL the time, but in small amounts. I've been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder for years now, but now I'm starting to wonder if it was just anxiety and all from this? I have bad skin! Dry, but acne. It drives me NUTS! I've been looking things up on google, but does anyone have any advice? It'd be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Is it genetic? I really think my mother has it.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have 2 sisters and 4 aunts with Thyroid issues so I was being monitored for years. But, I'd usually see a nurse practitioner who told me my levels were good. Then, I started experiencing severe vertigo and ended up seeing a regular doctor. He thought I had an inner ear infection but I badgered him into looking at my thyroid levels, since it was nearly time, anyway. When I went back for a followup, he kinda freaked on me and said I should have been on meds for years.

Once the medication took effect, it was like I had woken up. I have a disabled daughter and am chronically sleep deprived, so I thought my exhaustion - falling asleep at work, nearly falling asleep driving - was due to lack of sleep. Boy, was I wrong! All of a sudden, I had more energy and enthusiasm and started loving life again.

Since that time, I've also had issues with my joints - was diagnosed with tennis elbow at one point. Turned out that was thyroid related, as well.

In October, my doctor noticed I've developed a goiter. I've been having vocal issues for over a year - I always sound like I have a frog in my throat. Turns out the goiter is pressing on a nerve leading to my vocal chords. My doctor doesn't want to treat the goiter yet - he had originally thought about upping my Synthroid to see what would happen. I'm going to start nagging him in a week or two to see if we can at least try it temporarily.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Folks -- I have a suggestion from my Naturopath to the insomnia problem -- he gave me Natural Calm -- it's a powder. You dissolve 2 tsps in some water and drink before bed. Orange tasting. It's a natural Magnesium Citrate. Great for helping yo to absorb Calcium and Vitamin D. I tried it last night for the first time and slept like a baby. Best nights sleep I've had in years.
    I did take 5mg of Melatonin also... but all natural!
    :yawn:
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

P.S. Is it genetic? I really think my mother has it.
    http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/disorders/whataregd/hypothyroidism/
    Hypothyroidism may be caused by 1) an autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid gland, 2) surgery or radiation to treat thyroid cancer and other conditions, or 3) rare and random genetic events in which a mutation is acquired during early development.

Although it states "rare and random genetic events" this is how it goes in my family:
    On my mom's side: my mom - hypothyroid and type II diabetic just recently, her sister and 1 of 2 daughters - hypothyroid and borderline hypothyroid, my grandma - hypothyroid, thyroid cancer which led to non-hodkins lymphoma and eventually passed away from secondary ovarian cancer, my great grandmother hypothyroid and heart palpitations and murmur, one of my mom's 4 brother's also hypothyroid. On my dad's side: 1 sister - hypothyroid, other sister was being treated for depression, but guess what - turned out to be hypothyroid, both my dad's parent's were on thyroid meds as well.
    Now I have symptoms:
    border on exhaustion, feel like 8 or 9 or 10 hrs isn't enough sleep when 6 or 7 used to do; used to run 12 or 15 miles a week - now in last few months just to find the energy to go for a walk is difficult
    night sweats started last may and are off and on
    its weird but I have trouble falling asleep even though I'm so tired, then I wake up during the night, or if I sleep all night I feel as if I haven't
    cold most of the time and then out of nowhere - soooooo hot I can hardly stand it
    easier than typical for me weight loss, recently followed by quite quick weight gain,
    next to no sex drive,
    my periods are now irregular and somewhat and heavy for one day then extremely light for one or two days,
    headaches are returning - used to get them often then they disappeared as I was losing weight before and now are back,
    have experienced dizziness/light headedness/vertigo for years now,
    moodiness/weepiness/snappy - which I really believes from the exhaustion
    the dry hair, dry skin but with acne, eczema,
    have hot and cold nodules on my thyroid, and just recently have had a "frog" in my throat since about fall - thought it was allergies but has carried on for too long now
    have recently developed a heart murmur, which I do get some chest pain upon exertion at times but have had an echo and physiologically there is nothing wrong with my heart.

I know there are more and I feel like a whiner/complainer/hypochondriac but it is so frustrating to know that I do not feel "normal" and I am positive it isn't depression. Stress adds to it but it's not the cause - I've certainly had more stress in my life. The most frustrating thing is my TSH is "normal" - fluctuates up and down, but always with in normal and "a good normal" I've been told. My thyroid antibodies are fine. Ran tests for other autoimmune's like lupus, RA, celiac, etc.....all normal. Hormone levels, all within normal, my progesterone level is low, and my prolactin level is a bit high so they are going to do an MRI to see if I have a tumour on my pituitary gland which can also wreak havoc on your system and cause a lot of the same symptoms as hypothyroid. My endo wants to rule that out first but she thinks I have a "toxic" nodule that is producing thyroid hormone on it's own = hyperthyroid. It is frustrating and I feel like a guinea pig with all the tests they have been doing but I always have mixed feelings when they come back "normal" because it's like - ok, what route do we explore next? What do we rule out next? My endo is quite sure it's the thyroid based on symptoms but the labs are so inconclusive that she won't treat anything until she checks everything - which believe me, I am happy about, but I just want it all done so I can finally feel better! For a disease that is shockingly common, it is sure elusive and mysterious......the one thing I have been reading is that many have suggested getting the free t3 and free t4 and I think maybe reverse t3 and t4 tested??? Mine have never been tested.

This post turned into so much more than I meant it to be, but every time I read posts on this topic I am completely amazed at how many people have the same frustrations with symptoms and a lack of a diagnosis or treatment. Good luck to all.

To tecallahan - I just discovered Melatonin - it is wonderful but I wish I could take it every single night but I think you can become dependent on it......yes??? or no???
  • tecallahan
    Options
    To tecallahan - I just discovered Melatonin - it is wonderful but I wish I could take it every single night but I think you can become dependent on it......yes??? or no???

No, Melatonin is a natural substance that we all should have... but with Hypothyroidism, we are missing some. So, don't worry about taking it every night. Combined with the Natural Calm magnesium drink, I have had two nights of glorious sleep!!

So are you saying you are not on any medication because your TSH is "NORMAL"???? That sounds like crap to me.
    Please educate yourself at http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

You are young and you don't want to spend years suffering these symptoms. Tell your doctor or endo that you are not a lab test - you are a human being with SYMPTOMS and he needs to make your symptoms go away. If he can't or won't, then fire him and find a doctor that will!

I will tell you that doctors that will use all the natural and alternate therapies for treating thyroid are few and far between. I am just thankful that I found the Naturopath and I did not have to convince him to treat my symptoms.

I hope you can get some relief - life is good and you should not have to feel this way.
  • abcwhite10
    abcwhite10 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

So are you saying you are not on any medication because your TSH is "NORMAL"???? That sounds like crap to me.

Ya.....pretty much that. She has said that she will not treat anyone with thyroxin that has a "normal" TSH because it is bad practice. I disagree with this strongly. My mother and grandmother had always fallen with in the lab normals and ultimately thyroid cancer ended up killing my grandmother and my mom pushed and pushed until she saw an internist that took one look at all her symptoms and fluctuating TSH levels and put her on synthroid and she has felt good for the last 15+ yrs now. I have decided I will not relent - I know my body best and I will keep pushing. The endo I have is going to do the MRI of my pituitary gland and a radioactive uptake scan of my thyroid to compare to a previous one (my last family dr - whom I "fired" - sent me for one 2 1/2 yrs ago, found nodules, and then did nothing other than brush me off essentially because my blood work was normal). Once I get these results back, if nothing is done or a wait and see approach is taken, I think I am going to try a naturopath. I was slightly put off the first time I saw the endo and got the distinct impression that she thought I was lazy (I wish I had time - 2 kids on 2 hockey teams in 2 different towns all winter, a toddler and a full time job in the agriculture industry and a 3000 ac family farm to help manage in the non winter months - I don't have time to be lazy), overweight (I couldn't get her to understand that this is the symptom of an underlying problem, and not the cause of the problem if that makes any sense) and overwhelmed by my family.......but my kids are almost 12, 8, and 3 1/2, until they are teens and stressing me, they are getting easier by the day. My husband is an excellent father and husband. My parents are young and live right next door and his are a 10 min drive. I have an excellent family support system. I have been through university with a baby and a husband working 2 provinces away, living 10 hrs from all friends and family after university with a toddler, a new baby, and a husband that worked on call all the time, to the point that I knew if it didn't change we would end up divorced so we said screw it all, sold the house, quit the 6 figure job and moved back to our home town where we had family and friends and were able to spend time together and grow our family. A decision that just about put us in the poor house but we didn't care lol. Now we are doing well. I have a very good job, he farms with my family. We have the best 3 kids anyone could ask for. And they aren't babies anymore and they aren't aged close together.........I've been through stress and that feeling of panic and overwhelm and what now, this is not it. Whatever "this" is, is edging its way into my marriage and my bedroom, be it through lack of sleep, or lack of sex. I am only 33 years old. It's not normal to have no libido and my husband shouldn't have to deal with that either - it certainly never used to be that way. I love my husband very much. We just celebrated out 10th wedding anniversary.....and I really want to see 10 more. My kids pick up on my edginess and moodiness and my tiredness. I have overheard my oldest daughter reasoning with my 3 1/2 year old to behave because mom's having a bad day. It's terrible :(

And thanks for the website link. i have visited it before but never bookmarked it and forgot the name of it.......gotta love how forgetful I have gotten as of late too! I have to leave sticky notes at work on my desk and computer and I CAN"T leave home without a calendar!
  • tecallahan
    Options

Ya.....pretty much that. She has said that she will not treat anyone with thyroxin that has a "normal" TSH because it is bad practice. I disagree with this strongly. My mother and grandmother had always fallen with in the lab normals and ultimately thyroid cancer ended up killing my grandmother and my mom pushed and pushed until she saw an internist that took one look at all her symptoms and fluctuating TSH levels and put her on synthroid and she has felt good for the last 15+ yrs now. I have decided I will not relent - I know my body best and I will keep pushing. The endo I have is going to do the MRI of my pituitary gland and a radioactive uptake scan of my thyroid to compare to a previous one (my last family dr - whom I "fired" - sent me for one 2 1/2 yrs ago, found nodules, and then did nothing other than brush me off essentially because my blood work was normal). Once I get these results back, if nothing is done or a wait and see approach is taken, I think I am going to try a naturopath. I was slightly put off the first time I saw the endo and got the distinct impression that she thought I was lazy (I wish I had time - 2 kids on 2 hockey teams in 2 different towns all winter, a toddler and a full time job in the agriculture industry and a 3000 ac family farm to help manage in the non winter months - I don't have time to be lazy), overweight (I couldn't get her to understand that this is the symptom of an underlying problem, and not the cause of the problem if that makes any sense) and overwhelmed by my family.......but my kids are almost 12, 8, and 3 1/2, until they are teens and stressing me, they are getting easier by the day. My husband is an excellent father and husband. My parents are young and live right next door and his are a 10 min drive. I have an excellent family support system. I have been through university with a baby and a husband working 2 provinces away, living 10 hrs from all friends and family after university with a toddler, a new baby, and a husband that worked on call all the time, to the point that I knew if it didn't change we would end up divorced so we said screw it all, sold the house, quit the 6 figure job and moved back to our home town where we had family and friends and were able to spend time together and grow our family. A decision that just about put us in the poor house but we didn't care lol. Now we are doing well. I have a very good job, he farms with my family. We have the best 3 kids anyone could ask for. And they aren't babies anymore and they aren't aged close together.........I've been through stress and that feeling of panic and overwhelm and what now, this is not it. Whatever "this" is, is edging its way into my marriage and my bedroom, be it through lack of sleep, or lack of sex. I am only 33 years old. It's not normal to have no libido and my husband shouldn't have to deal with that either - it certainly never used to be that way. I love my husband very much. We just celebrated out 10th wedding anniversary.....and I really want to see 10 more. My kids pick up on my edginess and moodiness and my tiredness. I have overheard my oldest daughter reasoning with my 3 1/2 year old to behave because mom's having a bad day. It's terrible :(

And thanks for the website link. i have visited it before but never bookmarked it and forgot the name of it.......gotta love how forgetful I have gotten as of late too! I have to leave sticky notes at work on my desk and computer and I CAN"T leave home without a calendar!

Sweetie, you are a text book case of what they are talking about on Stop the Thyroid Madness -- there's a section for the Untreated - those with symptoms and history, but docs won't treat you. They will tell you if you TSH is down to .1 that something bad will happen -- guess what? My naturopath told me point blank that he is taking me to .1 - and nothing bad will happen except I will ditch some symptoms.

There's also a great Group you can join on Facebook for Stop The Thyroid Madness -- they are a very empathic and helpful group. Some of them cannot afford a Naturopath or other alternative medicine and so they are self-treating -- and the group helps them. They also have a way to order your own labwork if your doctor won't test for the right stuff -- they should be testing: Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, Thyroid Antibodies, Ferritin and Selenium at least.