How to fight the fatigue

Options
_tiifyjo_
_tiifyjo_ Posts: 118 Member
Who has conquered the constant fatigue? I find myself in constant caffeine seeking mode. I have luckily gotten myself off of the energy drinks, but in order to actually workout I either take diet pills for energy or drink a TON of coffee. Neither of which is healthy, I know.

Replies

• CurtisGirl
    CurtisGirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can relate! I only drink coffee in the moring so that I can sleep at night. I find that after I have walked/exercixed in any way that I need to lay down for at least a half hour or more. That way I can get going again and not loose the whole day. It is so hard to 'get going' when we feel so fatigued, but I'm aiming for walking a little every day. Some days it won't be long, but making the effort will help me feel more empowered..
    Another help I have found is watching Forks Over Knieves. You can find it online on Hulu. I find a plant based diet helps lift the FMS fog. I occassionally have meat, but I find that I don't miss it now. I feel so much better mentally that I'm feeling motivated to move forward with exercise.
    We all find out own way. Good Luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Guess, I just changed my thought process...telling myself I have energy instead of continually telling myself I don't have energy. It seems to have helped for me. Of course I'm still very tired but I do get through the workouts and day with a more lively attitude. I don't do any caffiene or energy drinks, that always seems to make my fibro act up. Positive attitude does it for me!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    fighting the fatigue is tough. Coffee helps, also walking or exercising early in the morning seems to helps some, but there are some days that it doesnt matter what i do the fatigue is so bad that I can't function but it is not very often now that I have lost quite a bit of weight it use to be almost daily ....
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is an ongoing struggle for me too even tho I don't drink anything with caffeine, I eat vegetarian and I also try to have a positive attitude and not beat myself up. As my doctor lovingly told me recently, people don't die from fatigue but they can die from being seriously overweight and the complications of it. That gave me a good kick in my truly big behind! I keep that in mind when I think I'm too tired to do 'anything'.

Bottom line: there's no substitute for enough, good sleep. And without enough deep sleep your body won't make enough of the hormones that shut off your hunger, no matter how little you eat. So I'm putting a priority on whatever it takes to get at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep at night and I'm trying to learn to take naps (or at least have short rest periods throughout the day). I can already see that I do better when I get the right sleep several days in a row. And I've modified my exercise log to include keeping track of how much and how well I sleep in addition to how much I exercise so I can see the relationship between the two cuz it's a big one.

Bruce Campbell's book on Fibromyalgia has a lot of good info on pacing yourself so you can build up your energy and stay within your 'energy envelope'. I recommend his whole approach.
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I echo Tall_E....Sleep. Sounds obvious and sarcastic, but I mean it. Get solid sleep. If you have fibro, you're probably not getting good sleep. If you're waking up several times a night like I do, that is not helping. If I wake up even once in the night, my whole next day is ruined. I get pain flare ups and am so exhausted I want to cry sometimes!

I was given Ambien a couple months ago. It works most of the time pretty well. I can now sleep 7 straight hours without waking. Sometimes more. I say most of the time, because sometimes it doesn't work and I haven't figured out why. I took a (miserable) week off to break my tolerance of it and am hoping that reset it. So far so good. The nights I get good sleep I feel so much better. Not awesome, of course, but definitely and noticably better.
  • drchanequa
    Options
    I switched to a gluten-free diet back in July and it's made a world of difference in terms of my fatigue. It was a really hard change because I'm a carb addict! But it's been worth it. It took about 4-6 weeks for me to notice the difference, but it was a big one. Before going GF, I usually had at least 1 day per week when I was nonfunctional (or barely functional) due to fatigue. Since I've gone GF, that has decreased a lot - maybe it happens once every 4-6 weeks now (and it's still not as intense as it was before). When I initially started, I'd planned to give myself a break on Thanksgiving and Christmas so that I could enjoy family meals. But the benefits have been so good that I was scared that eating gluten would trigger a huge flare-up. So I stayed on track. Plus, we managed to find GF work-arounds for most of our favorite foods.

I still have more problems with fatigue than I'd like (especially after working out), but I guess it's bound to be part of the condition to some degree.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me with Ambien,mschelle. It was working great, then all of a sudden, it stopped. I have stopped it for now, it was really hard for about 4 nights, then I started sleeping, probably from sheer exhaustion ,lol.
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If I don't sleep well at night, I'm able to catch a nap in the afternoons most days. Even if it's a short nap, it helps recharge me!
  • joey72talk
    joey72talk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i agree that sleep it vitally important for fybro sufferers, but unfortunately its not always easy to obtain.... chronic fatigue and insomnia is the biggest problem for me. the pain i have learned to cope with, but my body doesnt cope well without sleep!

i take a supplement daily and they seem to help... alot!
    i have consulted my neurologist and he says that they can do no harm and that the multi vit included supports the immune/nervous system.

my supplements are manufactured by - RED KOOGA

PRODUCT- korean ginseng with multi vitamins and minerals

the box says :- "helps to promote mental alertness, energy release and helps maintain general health".

they're inexpensive and available online for purchase... they also offer a energy boost version of the above, but its not recommended that you take them long term.

ive tried a lot of conventional medication but they dont seem to agree with me, this simple supplement has given me that little extra lift and has been a great help to me....

i am in no way endorsing this product for any other reason than i think its helped me....

i hope you find my post useful

kindest regards

jo :)
  • gavians
    gavians Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    SLEEP - IT DOES A FIBRO BODY GOOD

I nearly always have fibro flare ups the day after I stay up too late and get up early. Yesterday, for example. I didn't go to bed until 1AM but had to be at work early for meetings and was up at 6AM. Sure enough, by about noon I was in full pain mode. Aching body -- everywhere -- sharp pains in my ankles and wrists -- and a very stiff neck.

The opposite also happens to me. If I sleep in all morning pushing 10-12 hours, I am stiff and sore from laying in bed too long. I sleep with a CPAP and it keeps me asleep as long as I want. But sometimes a little twisitng and turning adjustment throughout the night is good to keep from getting stiff and cramped.

IT IS A DELICATE BALANCE WE MUST FIND IN ORDER TO APPEAR AND FEEL ALMOST NORMAL.
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    joey,every tip is useful,thank you. I am getting so much out of this, it's great. Red
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm having some sleep problems at the moment too!!

I couldn't live without my coffee fix at the moment!! Well, I could, but doubt I'd make much sense!! haha!

My problem is that I get to sleep at a decent time, but can wake three or four times overnight (every couple of hours or so) then when it gets to about 6 or 7 am I sleep through until almost noon, sometimes!! (disgusting I know, but I can't help it!!)

I try my hardest not to have a nap if I can help it! some days I just have to! especially if I've had an early start or a very disturbed night!

I am trying so hard to get myself into a good routine again after all the upheaval of the holidays!! I know I'll settle eventually, just seems to be taking forever!! I find that a couple of cups of chamomile tea help to soothe me at bedtime!

Nothing worse than being exhausted and not being able to drop off!! lol! especially when my aches and pains are playing up! Then I just have to stay awake until I'm due another dose of painkillers, usually I fall asleep after I've taken them through the night xx

Sorry, not much help! thanks everyone for your input though!! Its always interesting to find out what everyone else is doing to help! xx
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    What kind of mattress do you all have? We have a SLEEP # BED, and we are so unhappy with it. We recently tested a THERAPEDIC bed, it felt wonderful. Does anyone have that mattress and how do you rate it. Thanks
  • joey72talk
    joey72talk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    the mattress on my bed is memory foam........... wow does it make a difference!! it doesnt dig in me like a regular mattress and it hugs my body without being too soft thus still offering good support. i have the full mattress and a topper (in my holiday home) both are equally as good....... so if money is an issue then i would definitely recommend you but a 3ins memory topper... you will notice a difference :)
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What kind of mattress do you all have? We have a SLEEP # BED, and we are so unhappy with it. We recently tested a THERAPEDIC bed, it felt wonderful. Does anyone have that mattress and how do you rate it. Thanks
    Do you mean Tempurpedic? We tested that one. It's really pricey and I was afraid that it would get mashed down over time! I don't know! A lot of people like them!
  • sswan2011
    sswan2011 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I luv my sleep # bed. When we first got it we thought oh this isn't so special so slept on the old bed, ended up getting up in the middle of the night and headed back to the sleep #.

We are always so happy when we get home from a trip.
  • mirrim666
    Options
    My partner has fibro. We have an Intellibed mattress. Its a honeycomb gel type material so it gives good support on broad surfaces but lets sharp points like hips sink in. We love it and it has helped her to sleep longer without stiffness.
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    THERE ARE SO MANY MATTRESSES OUT THERE. I AM GLAD THE SLEEP# WORKS FOR SSWAN, IT JUST DOESN'T WORK FOR US AT ALL. I GUESS THAT'S WHY THERE ARE SO MANY DIFFERENT KINDS, IT JUST MAKES IT SO HARD TO PICK. OH, YES, I DID MEAN TEMPERPEDIC, THANKS.
  • sistrckv
    sistrckv Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Does anyone out there who takes or has taken Ambien find themselves "sleep eating'?
  • sistrckv
    sistrckv Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think thinking positive, telling yourself "you can do this" is helpful. Setting a mental goal for the day and reachhhhhhing for it! I am over 60 and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1998. No solutions, just the diagnosis. So I have had to just learn along the way. I had no idea why I was so tired, did not know that it was part of the fibro. Did not know that the sleep issues were related that all the muscle and joint pain was worse in the cold weather, when it was damp, etc. Learning all you can and then getting your mind wrapped around living with it and not letting the disease cheat you out of life is vital. I am not saying that all will be fine, sometimes it is not fine. Sometimes it hurts like crazy and there is no getting around it, but most of the time moving helps, hydration helps, rest helps and the list goes on. Find what helps you, find what makes YOU feel better and keep doing it. If you need a nap, try to get one. I do not have all the answers, but I, like you am here to learn from others. In the process I plan to keep on keeping on and lose 10 pounds at a time until my body says this is a good weight.