what exercises are you able to do?

Options
themommie
themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
In the summer i swim, I also walk, do leslie sansomes walking dvds, bike riding, treadmill and weight machines........

Replies

• lookingglass1986
    Options
    I also swim in the summer, I do treadmill, small weights, stretching, and 30-60 second intervals of jogging on treadmill during my walking. Lunges are completely out of the question. I don't mind doing crunches, but my floor is too hard, and it makes my back hurt too bad. And exercise balls are alright in moderation. I have to continue to make sure I have head/neck support while doing crunches on it though.
  • conidiring
    conidiring Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics, body combat, turbo kick, turbo jam, turbo fire, HIIT workouts,Tae Bo, Leslie Sansone dvds, circuit training, free weights, body resistance band work, kettleball, stretching, tai chi, body flow. I hope to start C25K in the spring and actually run a 5K by summer.
  • samdgood
    samdgood Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i have a lot of back pain and knee pain (mostly due to arthritis and fibro combination). i can't do anything on my knees and have difficulty getting up and down. i love swimming and water aerobics but don't get to do them often. so i try to make do with stand up exercises until my back hurts too much and i have to stop.
  • Kwick2010
    Kwick2010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There are days when all of us feel too tired, achey and sore to exercise, but even a little bit of house cleaning can burn some calories.

Did you take out the trash, wash some dishes, do some vacuuming? Those are activities that burn calories!

You can log "Cleaning" under your exercise log. There are options for "Cleaning, light, moderate effort" and "Cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort".

Remember that every little bit counts! 15 minutes here, 10 minutes there and 5 minutes before bedtime equals 30 minutes of activity that you can log for the day!

If at first you don't succeed... try and try again!

- Kristi -
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I always count house cleaning, and I really take alot of negative comments on it, but ,if I work up a sweat, am breathing hard, then it's a workout to me! I walk my 2 dogs alot in all seasons except winter, and it's 10 degrees here today, so I will do some light exercises in the house.
  • Kwick2010
    Kwick2010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    RileyRed: It's freezing here today, too. Brush off the negative comments and let the results speak for themselves. A little exercise is better than no exercise at all!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I agree! So far today, I have gone up and down the basement stairs several times, run the vacuum, and did close to a one mile with my exercise walking DVD!
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    Thanks Kwick and I defy anyone to say going up and down steps , vacuming and a one mile walk isn't exercise!!!! Good job,Kimiel!!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kwick and I defy anyone to say going up and down steps , vacuming and a one mile walk isn't exercise!!!! Good job,Kimiel!!
    Awww....thank you!! :-)
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I do little bits of walking - unfortunately only when necessary at the moment, errands etc.

Also I'm back to doing a great (if a little old and cheesy) DVD called Gentle Fitness. Its basically a chair based movement and stretching exercise program for people with mobility or disability issues. It really get the kinks out of my sore and tight muscles and gets stiff joints moving again.

Heres a link to it on amazon (please note its the UK site!!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gentle-Fitness-Deserve-feel-Good/dp/B003U45CNI/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1325772518&sr=1-1

and they have a few little previews on You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/user/GentleFitness/videos

I find it very helpful, even though I cant do everything on it at the moment at the same speed they do it, but I'm working on it!

hope this helps out folks!

Ales xx
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    That sounds great, Ales. Do you feel better after you do the chair exercises?
  • ales1979
    Options
    That sounds great, Ales. Do you feel better after you do the chair exercises?

Definitely Red! I may get a little sore the same evening, but it just stiffness coming back I think! Plus muscle stiffness from moving bits I usually have so tensed, but don't realise! My upper legs and hips especially!

Its really worth it though! I've made a pact with myself to do it twice a week during January!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It would be great if I had access to a pool; I'd love a nice low-impact way to stretch my muscles. Oh well!

I take pilates classes 2x/week, and this is absolutely the most amazing workout I've ever done. Definitely need to use caution doing some of the moves, but I've found that I'm more flexible than I've been in years, and am actually happy when I'm gathering my things to go to class (who knew!).

I also try to walk regularly, mostly on my treadmill as the weather outside is usually not friendly to my body. I have been attempting to start a C25K program this week, but day 2 (yesterday afternoon) really killed me and now I'm huddled up at my desk, barely mobile. Blah.
  • ales1979
    Options
    It would be great if I had access to a pool; I'd love a nice low-impact way to stretch my muscles. Oh well!

I take pilates classes 2x/week, and this is absolutely the most amazing workout I've ever done. Definitely need to use caution doing some of the moves, but I've found that I'm more flexible than I've been in years, and am actually happy when I'm gathering my things to go to class (who knew!).

I also try to walk regularly, mostly on my treadmill as the weather outside is usually not friendly to my body. I have been attempting to start a C25K program this week, but day 2 (yesterday afternoon) really killed me and now I'm huddled up at my desk, barely mobile. Blah.

Pilates looks really good! I've always wanted to try, but will have to be a DVD or similar at home first for me!

Sorry you're feeling yukky after your C25K session yesterday!! I would loooove to run a 5K sometime in the future, for the Fibro charity I'm a member of (actually I got voted onto the committee last month! yay me!)

look after yourself today honey!! lots of pampering and TLC to get over the blahs!!

xx
  • bouquet77
    bouquet77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    hey guys ! I was diagnosed with FM about 5 years ago and i am curious how amy of you are able to run anywhere ! I have issues getting out of bed in the mornings infact some days i cant ! I also have tendenopathy in my hips which makes my mobility even worse. Please can you advise how your able to run as I need to find something to use to get fit ! cheers fibro friends and Gentle Hugs x x x
  • joey72talk
    joey72talk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There are days when all of us feel too tired, achey and sore to exercise, but even a little bit of house cleaning can burn some calories.

Did you take out the trash, wash some dishes, do some vacuuming? Those are activities that burn calories!

You can log "Cleaning" under your exercise log. There are options for "Cleaning, light, moderate effort" and "Cleaning, heavy, vigorous effort".

Remember that every little bit counts! 15 minutes here, 10 minutes there and 5 minutes before bedtime equals 30 minutes of activity that you can log for the day!

If at first you don't succeed... try and try again!

- Kristi -

great attitude :)

my sentiments exactly..........every little helps!

PS: sorry i really dont know how this quote thingy works! lol
  • sonjawi
    sonjawi Posts: 46
    Options
    Dancing is usually something I don't perceive as a workout and puts me in a good mood as well, as long as I am not too tired. Playing with the dog can also burn some calories. I have to refrain from repetitive training as in step trainers or the like as they make me hurt more.
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    I absolutely count dancing as an exercise,it does make you feel good and it makes me sweat, out of breath, so, it is a workout. I walk the dogs, I stretch, whatever involves moving my body is a workout to me, especially since I am so limited to everything else.
  • anitapatton
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia since 1999 and have chronic back pain. I do the weight watchers dvd and the stretches my doctor gave me for my back, shoulder, and knees. The stretches take me over 1 hour to do, I count that as exercising. Anything thing is better than nothing. The key for me is to talk to someone, staying in the house by yourself only adds to the pain. I try to play with the grandchildren when I can. I walked last summer, spring and fall, until my back went out again. I have been scared to do anything for 3 months now. My daughter started exercising and counting calories on myfitnesspal.com. I started using this last Wednesday and am happy to be doing something once again. I feel a lot better.
  • RILEYRED
    Options
    anitapatton, I agree, there is nothing like grandkids to keep your mind and body happy. Enjoy them, I know I do mine. Good luck with myfitnesspal.