Pregnancy and lifting....

Options
oceanity
oceanity Posts: 182 Member
what is your thoughts on the two combined. I have no intentions of creating new life for a while, but I would like to be in the best shape of my life when we are considering another baby. I will be talking to my MD prior to any future pregnancy about my current workouts and their potential impact on our health.

How would you taylor your workout if you were expecting?

Is prenatal yoga and walking my only options... :tongue: And how much change can one accomplish over the next 10 months....

Replies

• idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I worked out when I was pregnant with my first baby into my 7th month. I wasn't doing heavy lifting like on this program though. My advice would be to lift but not heavy, especially when you're further along. If i did this program while pregnant I would just keep the weights on the lower range and not do anything that might put a strain on my body. Does that help?
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In early pregnancy you likely won't need too much modification as long as you are feeling well and are low risk. Many woman continue to lift, run, cycle and even play hockey (yep I am canadian)! As your belly grows, some exercises will become much harder to do, and you'll have to be more careful due to the Relaxin hormones loosening your joints, your balance may not be what it once was and your ab muscles will seem to no longer exist! Once your old program no longer works for your changing body, its a great idea to get a good trainer to set up a new program for you. With my first pregnancy I was too sick my first Tri to do much, but after that could do lots of "non barbie-bell" exercise - watching a pregnant woman do lunges is quite the site! My only problem was cramping and low blood pressure which meant I did more lifting then cardio and I got up S-l-o-w-l-y. As long as you are low risk and have no complications, you won't hurt the baby by working out, you just need to modify really so you don't hurt yourself!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I continued my normal routine when I got pregnant which included teaching step classes and taking bodypump classes, but I did leave the weight room. My doctor said that I could do anything that i was doing before. My routine is a little different now, so it's a conversation we'll revisit when I get pregnant next time.
  • silvernswan
    silvernswan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Oceanity,

Have a look at this website: http://www.cassandraforsythe.com/
    . . . for an awesome series of interviews with women who have worked out (and worked hard!) through their pregnacies - the posts are called "Fit Pregnancy Interview"

My impression is that the culture around pregnancy in the States (if that is where you are?) is incredibly over cautious. My doctor said to I could continue whatever I was already doing in the first three months and then listen to my body and see how I go. I still played roller derby in my first trimester!

I think I am in a similar situation to you - I'm just about to start NROF4W, but we are looking to conceive some time next year. . .
  • oceanity
    oceanity Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank-you girls....you have me even more determined to rock my next pregnancy as a fit and healthy mommy!!!!