Yes, You Can Do Pushups

Options
Remember high school gym class and those dreaded fitness tests?:grumble:
Pushups are still around because they are one of the best whole-body toners possible and they require no equipment. Our elite military forces still train with pushups.

If you haven't done a pushup lately, start with wall pushups. Stand about two feet from and facing a wall, and hands on the wall, lean in, and back.
Next comes the hand-and-knee version. On all fours, bend elbows to touch chin to floor. As you gain strength, stretch the distance between hands and knees.
Try the real thing when you are ready, one at a time.

Maximize Your Life!

Replies

• BenderFitness
    Options
    I love pushups, and all the different ways you can do them! :) I agree, it's a fantastic exercise, and one of the best tummy toners.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have tried hands and feet push ups but find it hard, so usually only do it on my knees - is this effective at all?
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    It is definitely still effective. The most important thing to do is use good form. Until you can do a pushup with good form it's better to do it from your knees. You will get better results than you would from a droopy pushup.

Just be sure to keep trying to build your way up to doing a pushup from the plank position. :) You will be able to do it eventually!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Push ups are awesome! U can definitely build up your strength easily! I went from only able to do 5 during a workout to now 50 different variety ones! Keep at it and it will come. I still do certain ones on my knees (clapping, one arm)
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    thanks for that. i have been able to do now, 10 of the modified version of the push ups. i am still pushing to be able to do the full version.
  • smb0701
    smb0701 Posts: 234
    Options
    Push ups are awesome! U can definitely build up your strength easily! I went from only able to do 5 during a workout to now 50 different variety ones! Keep at it and it will come. I still do certain ones on my knees (clapping, one arm)

u go grl:smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am such a girl, i cant do a 'proper' press up - but i'm going to make it my december challenge!
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have tried hands and feet push ups but find it hard, so usually only do it on my knees - is this effective at all?

This is the way I do them...it has taken awhile but I can get about a dozen good form push ups this way...considering there was a time I could barely do one - I'll take a dozen...the thing is proper form - best to do a few using proper form then many with incorrect form...
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    In June I couldn't even do one full press up - could do the modified version though with my knees on the floor. Then I was shown how to do the full body version correctly and started on 2 then gradually built up over the months to the point where if I see an opportunity to do press ups during a workout, I feel the urge to knock a quick 10-20 out! I can do 70 in 2 minutes at the moment looking to increase on this slowly but surely.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Dear ladies, I will leave you with this link.

http://hundredpushups.com

It's a free six-week program that will take you up to 100 consecutive push ups. It's free and easy to try, so there's no excuse to not do it.

Personally I'm not a fan of the push-up due to my wrists hurting like hell over it.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    so would it be better to do a dozen modified, or 5 real ones???
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A dozen modified AND 5 real ones and gradually, the stats will change so that you are doing less modified ones and more real ones.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    HECK YES!! I love push ups. In Jan this year, I could not even do one. In the summer I was getting up to 12 in a row. I'm back down to about 6, but I'm working my way back up there. Never thought I'd be able to do them, and I have a wonky wrist too!