Shin splints

Every time I start to make progress my legs start to hurt. I'm started to get discouraged. I don't know what I can do to avoid them.

Replies

• klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    I had them when I first started running, they are so painful! What I did was I went to a specialty running store and got fitted for shoes. Turns out I have a sever overpronation and I needed stability shoes. They weren't too expensive, around $90. That helped a massive amount. Then, I looked online and found some stretched to do to loosen my calf muscles bc tight calf muscles can cause shin splints. Once my calf muscles loosened up, I noticed the shin splints have all but vanished. Best of luck!
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    I had them when I first started running, they are so painful! What I did was I went to a specialty running store and got fitted for shoes. Turns out I have a severe overpronation and I needed stability shoes. They weren't too expensive, around $90. That helped a massive amount. Then, I looked online and found some stretched to do to loosen my calf muscles bc tight calf muscles can cause shin splints. Once my calf muscles loosened up, I noticed the shin splints have all but vanished. Best of luck!
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 208 Member
    I had them when I started running also. I read an article "that said too much too soon". And it was like a light bulb went off in my head. I slowed my pace down (if it's even possible to go slower then what I was doing) and took walking breaks before I felt the pain coming. I then decided to do interval running. I've been building up endurance which has helped my legs out when I push to go longer the next time I run. So far, no more shin splints. Stretching before and after is definitely a must. I also read about filling dixie cups up with water, freeezing them and then rolling them on your shins after a run. It hurts at first, but your shins will feel better afterwards. I haven't tried it, but I have iced my shins after a run and it does help out.
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 208 Member
    I had them when I started running also. I read an article "that said too much too soon". And it was like a light bulb went off in my head. I slowed my pace down (if it's even possible to go slower then what I was doing) and took walking breaks before I felt the pain coming. I then decided to do interval running. I've been building up endurance which has helped my legs out when I push to go longer the next time I run. So far, no more shin splints. Stretching before and after is definitely a must. I also read about filling dixie cups up with water, freeezing them and then rolling them on your shins after a run. It hurts at first, but your shins will feel better afterwards. I haven't tried it, but I have iced my shins after a run and it does help out.
  • perezke
    perezke Posts: 45 Member
    Good shoes was the best investment I made because I overpronate as well and have tendinitis in my right Achilles. I love my Asics kayanos. Maybe a good pair of shoes will help.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    I got them for the first time today... I have the right shoes fitted and I know for a fact that I haven't been overworking, I'm literally taking it slow.
    I think it's because I have been mainly running on sidewalks for the past 3 runs for a change of scenery instead of the park.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    I second everyone's comments. I'm also an overpronater and had convinced myself I *could not* run. It took about 90 seconds/less than 1/8 mile for my legs and feet to hurt and for me to want to collapse even when I was in decent shape. I purchased some $100 Brooks motion control shoes and am now running 3-3.5 miles at a time. For the first time, my legs can do the work! The right shoes are worth their weight in gold; they make an incredible difference that you'll notice pretty quickly.
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Should also have added that in addition to shoes, the best thing you can do is make sure you're getting 2,500-3,500mg of potassium a day and cutting back on sodium. Do that and leg/muscle cramps are a thing of the past!